• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:30 AM

+2

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#2543 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,055 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted Yesterday, 04:30 PM

Hey All,

I haven't had a chance yet to read-up and catch myself up on all the goings on and iron clanking exploits here on the logs, but I'll do that over the course of this week as I try to reestablish some routine and habits in my life. Thanks to everyone that reached out and provided support.

Just a quick update on my dad as it's too complicated to try to explain in detail. My dad unexpectedly went into the ER at the end of January after experiencing some chest pain while walking. After spending the weekend at the hospital it was determined he needed another stint in his heart to open a blocked artery.  That all went successful, and he was released the next day. 8 hours later he was running a fever, and the next morning they were back in the ER. Later that night his fever spiked to 103.5F and his blood pressure dropped dangerously low. In the process of sorting him all out they determined he had contracted the super bug MRSA from a superficial thrumbosis from an IV stint they had put in his arm and it had infected his blood and he had become septic. On top of that the low blood pressure caused a loss of blood flow into his already poorly circulating lower left leg and his blood flow nearly stopped. At one point they advised us he was less than 24 hours from having his foot amputated if they didn't do something. I watched as my dads toes turned black and the bottom of his foot started to look like leopard print, turning purple spots to dark purple, and then black. On top of that he also started to get fluid on his lungs and they began treating him for pneumonia. Wait there's more, as a diabetic they were having to maintain his blood sugar, plus his blood pressure was out of control and his kidneys are in danger of failing because of the years of diabetes and they have to be very careful for all that as well. Without making this a book, you can imagine all of the doctors, devices, medications, long hours, prayers, and everything else that occurred. 

Fast forward to today and he's no longer considered to be in any critical condition. He's still in the hospital to continue to monitor him for a few issues that they would like to stabilize better before releasing him to an in-patient rehabilitation facility. Nearly a month laying in bed, he's in no condition for my Mom to take care of him at home so he's going to have to get some rehab to get him moving again. He's one tough SOB. 

The things I saw and experienced over the last two weeks were tough, but it was also a priviledge to be there and care for my parent when they needed it the most. I can say without a doubt that I made a positive difference, and if you ever have the opportunity to be by anyone's side while they are in the hospital and advocate for them and make sure they are getting the best care possible you should try your best. You do not want to be in the hospital by yourself. Having someone there that can speak for you and help you is a game changer.

I returned home this past Thursday afternoon. Pretty beaten and tired from the experience. No exercise, lots of coffee and fast food have taken a toll on me mentally and physically. I've got a lot of soft edges on this body of mine right now.

Sun, 02/23/20

Walk

Time - 00:52:49

Distance - 2.58 miles

Just trying to create some forward momentum. I don't have any high expectations for myself right now. I've got some things I'd like to do with my training, but for right now I'm just going to focus on trying to do something intentional and active each day.

Thanks all for the support, and I'll be catching-up with each of you this week.

• Stu, steviesch and Pops like this

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory - William Barclay

#2544 steviesch

steviesch

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted Today, 07:11 AM

Tough SOB. Like father, like son. Best to you both and to the Beach family.
  • Stu and BeachBuckeye like this

#2545 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,055 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted Today, 05:00 PM

Mon, 02/24/20

School walk with the kids - 1.9 miles

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory - William Barclay

#2546 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 5,673 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted Today, 06:01 PM

Like father like son.

You didn't soften up any Mister BB.
  • BeachBuckeye likes this

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#2547 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,019 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted Today, 07:38 PM

Wow....

What a story.

First of all, so good to hear that your dad appears to be on the upswing. Hope that continues to carry forward in the days to come.

Second of all, I'm glad you were there. Without a doubt, it was a game changer for your dad to have you there.

Rest up. Heal up and just start moving again. As you already know, it's always the best therapy.

• BeachBuckeye likes this

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users