#1 Ben

Ben

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

Hey guys.

Long time no see. I'm still busy with OMOB, and currently trying to do the 10000 kb swing challenge with it as my conditioning part of the workout. But instead of doing 1000 swings per day over 10 days, I'm working my way up from a 10 minute EMOM of 10 swings up to a 20 minute emom of 10 swings, adding another minute per day. From there, I'll increase the amount of swings per minute by 1 per day. In other words 20 minute EMOM of 11, then 12, then 13, up to 20, ending up with a 20 minute EMOM of 20 swings per minute for a total of 400. I'll keep doing this until I get to 10000 swings total, which I've calculated will take about 35 KB swing sessions. After this is done, I'll just start with regular WODS/Barbel hopper stuff etc.

With that explanation out of the way, I really want to incorporate strongman stuff into the mix. How would you guys say is the best way to go about it? A couple of ideas I have : 

1. OMOB + EMOM + Short CF WOD-style conditioning + short strong man movement.

2. OMOB + EMOM + CF WOD one day/Strong man movement the next day, repeat.

3. OMOB + EMOM + CF WOD that includes one strong man movement/carry/etc in the WOD itself, ex. 3RFT of 10 burpees, 50 double unders, 3 tire flips(350kg tire), or something like that.

4. Skip the strongman stuff during OMOB cycle 1-3, then do an additional week of ONLY strongman stuff, heavey and intense, followed by the scheduled deload week, lengthening OMOB cycle by one week effectively.

Any ideas, cautions, warnings, flaming, more than welcome. 

• Alexisslal likes this

#2 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

Hey man, good to hear you're still at it.  My $.02

#3 is the easiest - when doing a WOD, incorporate a strongman movement - not much thought to programming, just toss it in there....

I used to do Saturday = Oly day, I got the idea from Juggernaut as one of there powerlifters would do Strongman Saturday.  That day's training was dedicated to Strongman movements and just having fun.  I found that it didn't affect my recovery and I really enjoyed the movements as it was something different.

Another way you can skin it is to toss out one lift (bench or DL would be my recommendation) and replace that day's training with Strongman for a cycle or two?

Really depends what you want to get out of it.  Hope that helps

• Ben likes this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#3 Ben

Ben

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:19 PM

Thanks man, that makes sense yeah. Never really thought about just chucking one of the main lifts out for a while. Just when you said it I clicked that it's totally possible since they all function independently in this programming.
  • VidaMD likes this

#4 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:27 PM

Same principle as Vida, my Saturday morning was dedicated to OCR training with circuits of wall climbs, rope climbs, tire flips, chain pulls and other weird fun stuff.

What strong man stuff are you going to have access to?
  • Ben likes this

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#5 Ben

Ben

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:12 AM

Not a lot unfortunately. Still have to try and build a lot of the stuff. For now, it would be two atlass stones at 40kg and 80kg, which is OK since the second is basically BW, the tire, and that's anout it. I can do loaded carries by picking the bar up from the rack in a front rack position or on the back and walking with it, but only have about 10m to walk and then have to turn around. Plan on building farmer handles next.
  • Pops likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users