#1 DakotaHealey21

DakotaHealey21

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:57 AM

This is my second try at a DIY garage gym, and has turned out much more functional and better than my first try, some things I have bought off craigslist, some brand new, and a lot was DIY. Let me know what you think, and what I can improve on, next up is a DIY Sled, an Operator Bar, and eventually a AirDyne or Rower.
Garage
Album: My Garage Gym
6 images
2 comments

• Edwardbrek and MableWast like this

#2 seaneagen

seaneagen

Zombie Apocalypse Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

great set-up!  Love it!  Going to try and do OMOB in my garage on top of my regular WODS.. I am pouring through omob before I start...

#3 samgriffin20

samgriffin20

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

I've been thinking about building a pull up rig sort of like what it looks like you have. How did you secure it to the ceiling? I keep thinking I won't be able to get it secure enough to kip or to support some of my heavier friends that come over to workout. Thanks!

#4 DakotaHealey21

DakotaHealey21

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

Sam- I have access to the attic in my garage, what I did was climb in there and cut some 2x4s to fit in between the rafters for extra support, I have had me(184lb) and a friend(180lb) on the pull up bar doing pullups at the same time, and it did not budge. Its all about how comfortable you are with your carpentry skills, Good Luck.

Sean- Thanks, Its taken a little to get everything put together and buy everything. One Man One Barbell is a good program, It will give you gains if it is your first cycle or third cycle, as long as you don't cheat and give every rep everything you've got.

#5 Bama

Bama

Zombie Apocalypse Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

Nice setup!

#6 Manley

Manley

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationClarksville, TN

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

Great setup.

I think the sled will be my next effort, too. I have just missed  a couple of sweet deals on Airdyne's from Craigslist or Bookoo. Gotta start paying better attention.

The hockey stick in the background just makes it better.

#7 DakotaHealey21

DakotaHealey21

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

Thanks for the compliment on the set up.

Yes the Hockey stick does make it better, originally from Michigan, so I was naturally a hockey player.

#8 Wesley116

Wesley116

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Miami, Florida

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

My favorite part is the American flag. Nice setup.

• DakotaHealey21 likes this

Wesley LeBron

"If you only do what you’ve always done, you’ll only be as good as you’ve ever been.” - Robert “Bob” Murgallis

#9 squeeakamegg

squeeakamegg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:12 PM

Awesome Home Gym! I really liked the white boards, I especially liked the list you had put up.

• 1Man1Garage likes this

#10 theDonnybrook

theDonnybrook

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

Great looking gym.  Any concerns about the back stops on your squat stands?  I went with 5 2x4 rather than a 4x4 when building mine, but I like the look of the 4x4 with the raised back stop off the back.  Any thought about metal reinforcement?  Digging your logos on the buckets, too.  My still stay Home Depot.

#11 Dakota2126

Dakota2126

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:47 PM

Great looking gym.  Any concerns about the back stops on your squat stands?  I went with 5 2x4 rather than a 4x4 when building mine, but I like the look of the 4x4 with the raised back stop off the back.  Any thought about metal reinforcement?  Digging your logos on the buckets, too.  My still stay Home Depot.

Those stands are actually my wifes now and Ive made a bigger and better half rack, I will have to upload pictures today. In response to your question, the back stops help, but only really as a guide, you couldn't just slam into it everytime! I eventually threw a 2x4 on the inside and back to the wall to prevent tipping when I racked it. thnks for the feed back! Keep on Keepin on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users