#1 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:10 PM

Getting pretty frustrated with myself and my inability to get out of bed early enough to get a good workout in. I get between 5 and 6:30 for me time. That's my time to get to the gym, go for a run, whatever I want to do. More than enough time. If I can get out of bed. Some days I am up and amped. Most days I'm struggling and then it's 6.. and then 6:30 (and time to walk the dog).. and then 7 and time to get up with the family to get ready for the day. It's frustrating. I have goals and it's frustrating that I let them slip because I'm too lazy to get out of bed.

Goal 1: Achieve EO3 Established benchmarks. Having benchmarks gives me something to measure myself against. I briefly looked into the Fitranx system before settling on EO3, and what really appealed to me was the ranking system. I'm a martial artist as well and the belt system has traditionally been the best way to identify who has achieved a certain level of expertise. Strict benchmarking is the next best thing.

Goal 2: Finish a half marathon top 3 in my category. I finished fourth this year with a time that would have put me in the top 3 if I was a year older. Obtainable if I take my training seriously.

Goal 3: Complete the Spartan Trifecta. I love mud/obstacle runs. This is a big picture goal. I also plan on running a Tough Mudder and perhaps another race if it fits the schedule. #teamtigerblood

All 3 goals are easily obtainable if I stay on course. The plan is to start the Blaze program (again) next Wednesday. I think having a strict program to follow will help keep me focused on the next day. Then I will complete the 2 week benchmark test, and follow up with the Foundations program. Once through this cycle I will evaluate how much time before the half marathon and how much time I will want to train for it. Easy. Hopefully this log will help me stay accountable.

Plan for the next 3 days is to get in 3 good, light workouts. Coming off a back strain so I want to take it easy for another couple days.

• Spartan Tough, tpalmiter, SethPDX and 16 others like this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#2 1Man1Garage

1Man1Garage

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:19 PM

Get after it DD.  I myself have been struggling after finishing my Trifecta this year, I've been looking for a race to train for and because I haven't found one I to have been fighting to find motivation.  It helps reading your post to know I'm not going through this type of thing.  The change of season and time don't help anything for me- but knowing that this cannot be the end result of my training or my year are what I am hoping kicks my arse back in gear.

I do think you are at a good advantage with Goal 2 and 3 as the half training will set you up well for the Trifecta.

Good Luck and keep pushing through, in enough time getting out of bed early and working towards your goals and will become a habit.  Then you can look back and laugh at this post wondering why it was so hard!

From 1 Spartan to another-   AROOOOO!

#3 steviesch

steviesch

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:00 PM

What he said!

The hardest part of a training session is getting out of the door. Isolate that movement; get it done; the rest of the session is easy!
  • 1Man1Garage likes this

#4 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:13 PM

11/15/16: 

-50min moderate intensity martial art training

11/16/16:

-40 min gym

• 3 rounds no rest: 150m farmer walk (50lb/hand), 60 sec plank, resistance band squat
  • 10x 5 emom incline press 95lb

-30 min walk

Hardest part is getting up when it's dark and cold.

• steviesch and tpalmiter like this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

#5 Poppy G

Poppy G

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:50 AM

Good write up. I feel your pain matey as I have also been letting my training slip. I just wished I could afford to run Jerreds GGA again as that was always changing and a get program to follow. I have found myself getting bored with what I'm doing way to easy lately. So here's to picking it up and making it work my friend.
My last word will probably be
"Whoops"
"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#6 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 5,553 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:34 PM

Sounds to me like you're a beast already so I won't sugarcoat it. You don't get out of bed in the morning because you don't want to. When you want to you will. You say you want to but if you don't do it then you don't want it. It's that simple. I've been sucking wind with my "want to" as well. We know who we are and we know what we are. Looking at your goals and what you've done I'd say you are a BMF! Frustration is a good motivator. You got this.

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#7 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:39 PM

Sounds to me like you're a beast already so I won't sugarcoat it. You don't get out of bed in the morning because you don't want to. When you want to you will. You say you want to but if you don't do it then you don't want it. It's that simple. I've been sucking wind with my "want to" as well. We know who we are and we know what we are. Looking at your goals and what you've done I'd say you are a BMF! Frustration is a good motivator. You got this.

True Story! I can say I want to all I want, but come morning if I want to stay in bed more that's what I'll do. And give myself all sorts of "valid" reasons why it's a good idea. Then spend the day getting all pissy about it. Had about enough of that bs.

• Stu likes this

#8 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:50 PM

11/17/16

-40 min gym

• chin up reverse ladder 5,4,3,2,1
  • 19+ min farmer walk (75lb/hand) - 10x 1 min walk, 1 min rest. After interval 3 was really wishing I had my straps. About 600m after carrying the weights back to the rack
  • 3 rounds 60 sec rest: 25lb plate halo (5), steering wheel (10), 45lb plate land mine twist (10), back row (5)

-30 min light jog/walk with the dog

• Stu, steviesch and Poppy G like this

#9 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:15 PM

Anyone know how to get rid of that crap up there??

11/18/16

Had planned/hoped to get a good workout in before the weekend. Didn't happen. Took the kid to the game and didn't get to bed until close to 1. The 5 o'clock wake up call was not working for me. Cleaned up a flooded washing machine and prepared for our family trip instead.

11/19 - 11/22

Great Wolf Lodge. No working out. Lots of stairs and running around. Came home 224lbs.

11/23/16

-1 Barbell Blaze day 1

• 1/2 Deadlift 225, 275, 295, 315, 315 (no belt/straps; really trying to work on the hook grip but might not be for me)
  • 2/2 Deadlift 225
  • Barbell row 135

Trying to log without giving away too much of the program.

"It feels so good to be back" -Eminem

• Stu and Pops like this

#10 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:52 PM

Anyone know how to get rid of that crap up there??

11/18/16

Had planned/hoped to get a good workout in before the weekend. Didn't happen. Took the kid to the game and didn't get to bed until close to 1. The 5 o'clock wake up call was not working for me. Cleaned up a flooded washing machine and prepared for our family trip instead.

11/19 - 11/22

Great Wolf Lodge. No working out. Lots of stairs and running around. Came home 224lbs.

11/30/16

-1 Barbell Blaze day 1

• 1/2 Deadlift 225, 275, 295, 315, 315 (no belt/straps; really trying to work on the hook grip but might not be for me)
  • 2/2 Deadlift 225
  • Barbell row 135

Trying to log without giving away too much of the program.

"It feels so good to be back" -Eminem

I hit the 'report' tab and reported it to the boss, asking him to remove that user.

Keep up the good work. Like most of us you have to get it in when and where you can. Good job.

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory - William Barclay

#11 steviesch

steviesch

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:10 PM

Your future President will sort out those Russians!
  • Stu and Pops like this

#12 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:42 PM

Not my president.. I'm watching the whole thing from Canada..

#13 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:53 PM

11/24/16

No morning workout. Woke up sore as fack.. back ache and leg all seized up.

8:15pm curling. Lots of sweeping this game makes up for the slacking off in the morning.

11/25/16

-1 Barbell Blaze day 2

• (Treadmill) 3x1 mile interval total time 30:05min/6.52km (4.05 miles)
  • 3x50 situp (50 full situp, 2x50 crunch)

Simple on paper but really burnt me. I either underestimated the workout, or overestimated my abilities this morning.

• Stu, Pops and tpalmiter like this

#14 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 5,553 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:11 PM

We and Russians are bros now. We can kill each other later.

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#15 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:30 PM

11/25/16

- 90 min high intensity martial arts training

Nothing over the weekend unless you count the very enthusiastic game of floor hockey against the kids at a birthday party. We won.

Fire arm safety course on the Saturday; exam on Sunday.

11/28/16

Woke up hacking and sneezing. Almost seems if it's not one thing it's another. Hoping to be well enough to punish myself tomorrow morning. 

• VidaMD and Stu like this

#16 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:50 PM

11/28/16

-50min low intensity martial art training.

11/29/16

-1BB day 3

• Power clean 145# max
  • 10 emom pc 105# (will need to practice this lift; left arm has a tendency of lagging)
  • Treadmill intervals 2:00 slow (6.5 mph)/800m fast (10.5 mph)

• Stu, steviesch and Pops like this

#17 steviesch

steviesch

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:31 PM

Nice session! I'm feeling those 800m reps!

#18 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:42 PM

Nice session! I'm feeling those 800m reps!

Neglected to mention I bailed out at 400m on the last interval. Will be dialing it back a bit in the future.

11/30/16

Rest day in 1BB, but I take too many rest days. Plus I wanted to try out the monthly wod before the end of the month.

-35 min November wod

• 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 chin ups
  • 15:00 min 10 rounds + 2: 9x 155# deadlift/12 push up/15x 24" box jump (used lower box)

Did a few extra kb swings and snatches to warm up and cool down.

-30 min light walk. 2 dogs and 1 six year old. more of a mental exercise than physical.

• steviesch and Pops like this

#19 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:25 PM

11/30/16 pm

-50 min moderate intensity martial arts

12/01/16

-1BB day 5

• super set neutral grip pull up/dip 3/5
  • odd 255# deadlift/even 115# power clean (finished the last minute with amrap 8 or 9 reps power clean)
  • 35# plate halo to front press 5/5/5

I'm loving the power clean! Lots of extra work between sets with the plates on and off. 

• Stu likes this

#20 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:14 PM

Power cleans have been proven to reduce occurrences & effects of mangina.
Top 5 on bang for your buck exercise
  • Stu, BeachBuckeye and danduerksen like this

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users