#41 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:59 PM

Yesterday was not a complete waste a risky investment. Did about an hour of light training in the evening. Instructor seems to be strangely inspired and is working drills he probably hasn't thought of in 10 years. Good for a refresher.

12/13/16

-1BB day 16

• 1:00 hill intervals (treadmill 15% at 7mph)
  • 2:00 rest slow
  • Total time 31 minutes, total distance 4.45km
  • 3x60 sit ups (band "assist")

I thought of this crazy idea on my way to the gym. I'm struggling trying to get full range on sit ups, and end up with some discomfort in the area the femur meets the pelvis. Why not try use a light band? This helps a little, but introduces a different kind of stress on the core. Now I was still struggling through the upper range of motion, but really pushing back on the lower part of the move. Still feel it in the top of the thigh.

Look forward to tomorrow. Introduce front squat and lunges to the program.

• Stu, Ahomasmip, FadieThuth and 2 others like this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#42 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:09 PM

12/14/16

-1BB day 17

• 135# front squat (power clean to rack position)
  • 45# plate walking lunge
  • 5x3 pull up

-Quick outing with the pup. She probably hates me for dragging her out in the weather, but she gets squirrelly if she doesn't get out.

Tomorrow is another rest day on the program. I feel a multitude of unscheduled rest days coming up so I'm going to skip ahead. There is also an abundance of baked goods in my house right now so I plan on working of most of what I eat to keep the winter fat off as long as possible.

• Stu and Pops like this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

#43 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,893 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:47 AM

12/14/16

-1BB day 17

• 135# front squat (power clean to rack position)
  • 45# plate walking lunge
  • 5x3 pull up

-Quick outing with the pup. She probably hates me for dragging her out in the weather, but she gets squirrelly if she doesn't get out.

Tomorrow is another rest day on the program. I feel a multitude of unscheduled rest days coming up so I'm going to skip ahead. There is also an abundance of baked goods in my house right now so I plan on working of most of what I eat to keep the winter fat off as long as possible.

Sounds like you and your pup have a good understanding, lol.

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#44 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:30 PM

12/15/16
Completely bailed on my plans to skip a rest day. Stayed in bed and contemplated the ache in my legs, incorporating more walking lunges into my workouts, and the intelligence of drinking a bottle of wine on a Wednesday night. Pup got a day off from being dragged around the block.

12/16/16

-1BB day 19

• Press 45,65,75,85,95,105,115,125,135,135
  • 20 min Ping Pong pc/dl 135/315

Working on a consistent warm up and cool down. I have a bad habit of rushing into and out of the workout to save time.

• 100 skier swings w/ 45# plate each hand (low impact and really gets the blood going)
  • Empty bar 5x stiff leg dl (hold bottom for 10sec), low hang snatch (slow for form), overhead squat (hold bottom for 10sec)
  • Cool down: empty bar 5x overhead squat (hold bottom for 10sec; twist top 10x)

-30min jog. Dragging pup. -8*C she was not happy with me.

• Pops, tpalmiter and BeachBuckeye like this

#45 steviesch

steviesch

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:20 PM

I was buying English beer from a Canadian lady who comes from
Langley..just down the road from abbotsford...she agreed that it gets mighty cold in BC.

#46 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:15 PM

I was buying English beer from a Canadian lady who comes from
Langley..just down the road from abbotsford...she agreed that it gets mighty cold in BC.

It doesn't usually get too cold down in the bottom corner where we are, but when it does it's a bone chilling cold. Like right after it rains and the air is freezing kind of cold. So we had a bit of a cold snap and everyone was thinking it was the end of days. I used it as an excuse to stay in bed a couple times.

#47 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:14 PM

12/17/16

-1BB day 20

• 6x400m 10.5mph (1:00 rest 6.5mph)
  • Total 20:00, 4.47km including warmup
  • V-up (u-up?)

-12 days of xmas wod

• 39:53 min
  • 75# barbell; 24kg kettle bell
  • 30 "single under" (no rope)
  • chin-up/neutral grip, cheater pull ups
  • 24" box jump
  • 45# plate overhead walking lunge

Didn't want to waste a good morning with a 20 minute run so jumped into the xmas wod by ST. Was not in the Christmas spirit after this one. Can still feel muscles. Have never done knees-to-elbows before (don't usually do "ab work") but will work these into future workouts for sure. Went to another "staff" party and stayed out too late. The program and I agreed that Sunday would be a day of rest.

12/19/16

-1BB day 22

• Warm up: 100 skier swing (45# plates), empty bar 5x stiff leg deadlift hold, hang snatch, overhead squat hold
  • Form focus deadlift (225#) and power clean (115#)
  • 4x 50 kb swing (24kg), 3 pull-up, 5 dip
  • Random tricep pushdown and band pull aparts (active rest)
  • Cool down: 5x empty bar overhead squat hold (trying to keep feet as close together as possible)

-30 min light jog dragging pup around in the snow

Morning workout went really fast today. Feels like I crammed a lot into a short amount of time, but just kept moving and rest periods were short. Can keep this up for the rest of the week before the holiday slump.

• Pops likes this

#48 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

12/19/16 evening

-50min light intensity training

12/20/16

-1BB day 23

• 5:00 warm up treadmill 6.5mph
  • 4x800m 9mph/6.5mph rest
  • 4x200m 10.5mph/6.5mph rest
  • Total 35:05, 7.45km
  • 25# landmine Russian twist

Pup refused to come outside with me this morning. Shame because it's warm and some what clear. Not too bad for me; I was toast after the running intervals. 

• Pops likes this

#49 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,378 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:01 PM

Good session

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#50 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:27 PM

12/20/16 evening

-50 min light intensity training

12/21/16

-1BB day 24

• Warm up (cut back to 50 swings, 5x empty bar routine)
  • Front squat 135# (power clean to rack position) superset w/ tuck jump (I jump like a rock)
  • Barbell reverse lunge (empty bar; program called for walking lunge, I did alternate reverse lunge for space)
  • Cool down

Highly underestimated the tuck jumps. Exposed a weakness. Will have to work in more jumping (box, tuck, broad).

-30 min light run (icy) with pup

• Pops likes this

#51 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:34 PM

12/22/16

-1BB rest day. Decided to try out the 12 days of xmas wod again. No official time (forgot to start a stopwatch).

• 75# high pulls, thruster, push press, pc and ps
  • 24kg kb swing
  • Pull ups every which way (I struggle with high volume pull ups)
  • 24" box jump
  • 30 toe jumps (forgot rope again)

If accounting time for warm up, cool down, and set up time I might say I completed in about 35 minutes. Can't say I want to try it again.

Will be using a broom stick or pipe for cool down instead of an empty bar.

• steviesch, Pops and BeachBuckeye like this

#52 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

12/22/16 evening

-120 min curling. Good game. Moderate amount of sweeping.

12/23/16

-1BB day 26

• 75# press (speed focus)
  • 20 min Ping Pong pc/dl 135/275-225#

This workout was completely off. Because I go to a gym I sometimes have to contend with other people using the equipment I want to. This morning I wanted to use the platform to make going between the power clean and deadlift more efficient. But someone's using it so I have to wait. Start pounding out my press sets. Almost done. And some other joker jumps onto the platform. So I pound out a few extra sets of the press, which is fine because I feel like I picked a pretty light weight to start thinking about keeping things fast. Couple sets of pull-ups. A little stretching. Buddy walks away leaving the plates on the bar. I think he's resting until he starts using the pulldown machine. I'm nice so I wait til he's done his set. "Hey, are you done over here?" Ye he was done. "Are you going to take the weight off?" Looks at me like I caught him stealing cookies from the cookie jar, "oh ye, I guess I can do that." Fucking tool (pardon me). I'm using the exact same weight he left on there, but it's the principle of it. My biggest pet peeve when it comes to the gym is people who do not put the weights away. Or put the weights on the wrong arm. Nothing worse than going in first thing in the morning and seeing a bunch of weight left on the bar from the night before. I completely underestimated this ping pong workout too. 5 pc every odd minute; 7 dl every even minute. I started with 135# pc and 275# dl. Had to drop to 225# dl, and was still struggling the last couple sets. I should have used a lighter weight for pc too because by the end my form was crap. My biceps feel like they've been ripped up. My back and my legs are throbbing. I'm still irritated by the dumbass.

Tried concentrating on some form coaching I picked out of a Rippetoe power clean video. The bar drifts too far out from my body as it comes up. Doesn't "bounce" off my thighs. And I don't get a very good jump. More like a slight raise up onto the toes. Good thing is I don't actively high pull the bar to get it up (I don't think). Sometimes I think there's such a thing as too much coaching. Like coaching the golf swing out of someone that already has a pretty good swing. I don't want to completely deconstruct he movement to the point where I can't do it, but will keep working on some of the finer points to improve overall form.

Bought donuts for the office this morning. Mostly for myself. I love my carbs... :wub:

• UKoldguy likes this

#53 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,378 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:06 AM

Holy hell, we should get you & UKOldGuy together to share & compare dumbass stories. I'll buy the beer.
Good work though!
Power clean is a beast unto itself.
Don't be too hard on yourself...just keeping working at it and dialing it in.
Hell, I'm still learning how to squat bench and deadlift!!
  • Stu likes this

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#54 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:42 PM

Holy hell, we should get you & UKOldGuy together to share & compare dumbass stories. I'll buy the beer.
Good work though!
Power clean is a beast unto itself.
Don't be too hard on yourself...just keeping working at it and dialing it in.
Hell, I'm still learning how to squat bench and deadlift!!

I'm in.. anything that involves free beer would be well worth it! Some of these people you just want to give them a good whack upside the head..

#55 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:02 PM

12/24/16

-1BB day 27

• 1 mile test total 23:30min/4.99km
  • 5:00 warm up 6.5mph
  • 1 mile 8.5mph
  • 5:00 slow 6.5
  • 1 mile 9.5mph

This ends up being the final workout of the program even though there is a day 28 (rest day). I have some final thoughts. This is the first real program I've followed so I appreciated having different workouts to progress through. All my previous workouts experience was based on body building splits, and when I started concentrating on just strength and conditioning my workouts felt indirect. There was not a lot of meat to this program, and I would rate it as basic. Great for a beginner. An intermediate or advanced lifter would find it stale. The running days had good variety with splits and intervals, but made this more of a fair weather program that should be done in spring or summer with access to a track. I was not impressed with a 28 day program ending with a rest.  WTF Jerred!? Good introduction to eo3 programming.

-28 minutes kettlebell workout

• 5 rounds for time
  • Swings/squats: 10/5, 15/10, 25/15, 50/20
  • Total 500 swings (24kg) and 250 air squat

12/27/16

-Random day just to break out of the holiday bloat cycle

• 5:00 treadmill warm up 6.5mph
  • 15% incline for 15 minutes (1.72km/1.07 mile)
  • 95# power clean/press/overhead squat
  • 95# power snatch
  • Bench 3x3x185#, 2x2x205#, 5x5x135#

12/28/16

-Eo3 fit weeks (1rm testing)

• Empty bar warm up
  • 20 min to max deadlift 360#
  • 500m row 1:50 minutes max effort

Notes. Official test protocol calls for only 15 minutes to reach max. I used 20+ minutes. Didn't beat my 365# max set a couple months ago. I feel this is more mental than physical coming back from a back sprain. Grip is much stronger. Still have to use straps and belt for the heavier attempts.

• Pops likes this

#56 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:20 PM

Nice work Dan!

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory - William Barclay

#57 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:46 PM

12/29/16

• Empty bar warm up
  • 20 min to max clean 180# (was not pretty but I got it up)
  • 5x5x135# bench

Notes. Official test protocol calls for only 15 minutes to reach max. I used 20+ minutes. I don't know how he came up with the 15 minute time limit, but I would either have to eliminate some lower weight reps or make bigger jumps to complete in that time. I completed as power cleans. Not form perfect, but functional. Did some lighter reps unloading the bar, and some technical reps with the empty bar. Added the bench just for fun.

Tomorrow calls for eo3 5km. I am trying to decide if I will complete this on the treadmill or wait until the weather turns fair again.

• BeachBuckeye likes this

#58 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:41 PM

12/30/16

-Decided to postpone any of the running tests until the weather turns back to something a little less gross. Tried out eo3 Horsepower instead. Scaled.

• Empty bar warmup
  • Total time 14:05min
  1. 15 reps, Snatch @ 95#
  2. 15 reps, Burpee
  3. 15 reps, Clean and Jerk @ 95#
  4. 15 reps, Box Jump @ 24" Box 
  5. Then immediately complete to following complex (95#): Clean and Jerk (1), Deadlift (7), Row (6), Hang Clean (5), Front Squat (4), Push Press (3), Back Squat (2), Push Press (1), Snatch (1)
  • Pull up (1), pushup (5), pull up (1), burpee (5), 85# press down (3), chin up (1), pushup (5), 85# press down (3), neutral grip pull up (3), burpee (5)
  • Cool down

This was a great workout. About 30 minutes in the gym and felt like I got lots done. I will for sure be looking to do more wod type workouts when I start ramping up training for the half marathon in May.

-40 min light jog with pup

• steviesch, UKoldguy and BeachBuckeye like this

#59 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

Back to reality. Wife's back to work. Kid's back to school.

12/31/16

• Empty bar warm up
  • 20 min to max back squat 285#
  • 3x5x225# squat
  • 3x10x135# squat

Notes. Did some lighter reps unloading the bar just to get a good feel in the legs. Slow reps concentrating on the bottom position. In between sets I did some dead hangs about 20-30 seconds.

1/3/17

-Eo3 fit weeks

• Warm up
  • Max dips 16
  • Max pull-ups 3 (crap!)
  • 15min 15% treadmill walk (1.26km)

Notes. My pull-ups are disgusting. Only 3 strict from full hang. Was able to do 5 chin ups right after. There's a weakness there I need to identify. Possibly I'm just too heavy for myself. Time to get to business.

• BeachBuckeye likes this

#60 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,378 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

Back to reality....Time to get to business.

I feel the same way about some areas of my fitness right now. No problems. Not scared of the work or what it takes. Let's go! Give it hell Dan!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users