#1 Ben

Ben

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:12 AM

Hey guys,

Have a question regarding the conditioning. And bear with me, because I'm the type of ass who likes to come up with his own stuff instead of just following someone else's programming. :-D

So, I am currently doing OMOB + EMOM, with the following : 

Back Squat

Bench

Front Squat

Military Press

Deadlift

These days have various rest days in between. Always a rest day between deadlift and back squat, and then mainly in between as and when I feel my body needs it. I'm doing multiple squat days because I want to drive up/focus more on my squats, as I feel they are lagging behind.

Anyway... I'm doing that in the mornings - OMOB main lift plus EMOM. On the second cycle and feeling good, have picked up 1RM numbers significantly from when I started. 

Now what I have in mind for the conditioning portion, which I'll be doing in the afternoon, is the following :

1. 10 Minute EMOM of a fixed exercise choice for each main lift. So on Squat days, I would do 10min EMOM of reverse lunges, on Deadlift days I might do 10min EMOM of Barbel Glute Bridge/Raise, etc. I would keep the reps relatively high, in the "hypertrophy" range, like between 8 and 12, and the weight manageable at those reps. 

2. Directly following that, I would have random WOD type stuff of about 10 minutes, perhaps also an EMOM of 10 minutes alternating between two random exercises, CF style, like 10min EMOM alternating each minute between KB swings, and Double Unders, etc. 

That way I have a "composite" "WOD" like conditioning session, where one section is relatively fixed and focusses on weaknesses in my main lifts, and the next section is relatively random and "conditioney" and "CrossFittey" LOL. I hope that makes sense. The whole 20 minutes is supposed to be done at a quick pace, hence the EMOM idea, and is not supposed to be a relaxed session with 2 minutes rests between sets, and 10 minute rests between exercises, etc

If anyone smarter than me can spot any "concerns" with this approach or any positive advice otherwise, I would really appreciate it. 

#2 tpalmiter

tpalmiter

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

Hey guys,

Have a question regarding the conditioning. And bear with me, because I'm the type of ass who likes to come up with his own stuff instead of just following someone else's programming. :-D

So, I am currently doing OMOB + EMOM, with the following : 

Back Squat

Bench

Front Squat

Military Press

Deadlift

These days have various rest days in between. Always a rest day between deadlift and back squat, and then mainly in between as and when I feel my body needs it. I'm doing multiple squat days because I want to drive up/focus more on my squats, as I feel they are lagging behind.

Anyway... I'm doing that in the mornings - OMOB main lift plus EMOM. On the second cycle and feeling good, have picked up 1RM numbers significantly from when I started. 

Now what I have in mind for the conditioning portion, which I'll be doing in the afternoon, is the following :

1. 10 Minute EMOM of a fixed exercise choice for each main lift. So on Squat days, I would do 10min EMOM of reverse lunges, on Deadlift days I might do 10min EMOM of Barbel Glute Bridge/Raise, etc. I would keep the reps relatively high, in the "hypertrophy" range, like between 8 and 12, and the weight manageable at those reps. 

2. Directly following that, I would have random WOD type stuff of about 10 minutes, perhaps also an EMOM of 10 minutes alternating between two random exercises, CF style, like 10min EMOM alternating each minute between KB swings, and Double Unders, etc. 

That way I have a "composite" "WOD" like conditioning session, where one section is relatively fixed and focusses on weaknesses in my main lifts, and the next section is relatively random and "conditioney" and "CrossFittey" LOL. I hope that makes sense. The whole 20 minutes is supposed to be done at a quick pace, hence the EMOM idea, and is not supposed to be a relaxed session with 2 minutes rests between sets, and 10 minute rests between exercises, etc

If anyone smarter than me can spot any "concerns" with this approach or any positive advice otherwise, I would really appreciate it. 

I have a terrible time making up my own programing and actually sticking to it, have you checked out the EO3 Barbell programmer? That is where I have been getting most of my conditioning exercises from lately.

#3 Ben

Ben

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:32 PM

Hey man, thanks for the reply. I have yes, but I have my own goals and things I am aiming towards in terms of my CF training, which I won't get to work on if I just do the barbell hopper. I think it is an awesome tool though, but just not for me right now.
  • tpalmiter likes this

#4 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:59 PM

Doesn't sound like a bad idea on paper, at all.

The only points I could make are the obvious ones...
Autoregulation.
Listen to your body. Ex) if your main lifts begin to suffer in performance, back off on the accessory stuff.
Listen to your attitude. Ex) if you start to "dread" your sessions, dial back your pm session.
Finally, just make sure "enjoying" the whole process.

Having said that, give it hell & let us know how it's going!
  • Ben likes this

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#5 Ben

Ben

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:31 AM

Doesn't sound like a bad idea on paper, at all.

The only points I could make are the obvious ones...
Autoregulation.
Listen to your body. Ex) if your main lifts begin to suffer in performance, back off on the accessory stuff.
Listen to your attitude. Ex) if you start to "dread" your sessions, dial back your pm session.
Finally, just make sure "enjoying" the whole process.

Having said that, give it hell & let us know how it's going!

Awesome, advice well heeded. 

Also, I'm going to ease into this. I will keep my WOD section at an "exertion level" of about 7-8, to not overtrain and in doing so hurting my main lifts and EMOM. So I reckon I'll keep it to 10min EMOM accessory lift, plus 10 minute alternating EMOM with 2 movements. Later on might make it 15 minute alternating EMOM with 3 movements. Then, might start to throw in a few shorter, higher intensity WODS like rounds for time, Fight Gone Bad, etc, but will leave that for much later when my body has adjusted to the amount of work.

• Pops likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users