4 replies to this topic

#1 jay8anks

jay8anks

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:03 PM

A mix of homemade and bought equipment. "Rack" is 2 4x4 posts from a shipping container concreted in the ground w/ a cyclone fence bar across the top. That crossbar on top was the most expensive thing on it. I do really like the brackets I used to hold my bar. They are less than $3.00 each, and easy to put multiple ones on or even move up or down if you had to. I have a set at chest height and one lower with a removable bar to do inverted rows with. They are holding 150 pounds in the pic with ease. Pullup/Dip station seen behind, I ordered from Amazon.

I took various size buckets and filled them with concrete w/ all thread inserted in them. If you look at the bracket, it is removable. It's possible to actually adjust the weight up by putting plates over the all thread and putting the bracket back on. As it stands, two sizes worked out good. One is about 50 pounds and the bigger one is approx. 90 pounds. I have a smaller one at approx 27 pounds, but it's just too light to do anything with. The 90 pound one is a bit much, too, directly on a pulley like that.

Plyometeric box is a control valve box from Lowes. Height works for me and it is plenty of sturdy and then some. It is a little shorter than the boxes at the local Crossfit gym.

I also have experimented with various holiday crap filled with concrete. The lightest, a big Christmas tree ornament came out right at 20 pounds. The pumkin came out about 27, and the Halloween witch's cauldron is about 50. So far, the smaller ones have worked OK for slamball-type things, and the big 50 pounder, I have tried to do some strongman type things with it.

You can see a walker in one picture. This is from Goodwill and I do dips on it. It was dirt cheap and does pretty good for this, actually. The rest is dumbbells and my bench.

Not pictured (because of the size limit), is a bench for decline situps and a Roman chair bench, both from Amazon. Nothing fancy there. I don't know how long they will last outside, but they have done OK so far.

I hung a backboard for an old basketball goal in a tree as a target for wall ball. Honestly, I haven't used this that much... Someday. Someday. :)

Attached Files

• VidaMD, Jumper, 1Man1Garage and 4 others like this

#2 jay8anks

jay8anks

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:19 PM

Oh, and my pride and joy is an actual Concept2 rower. I haven't had it that long but I love it.

#3 tpalmiter

tpalmiter

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

Oh, and my pride and joy is an actual Concept2 rower. I haven't had it that long but I love it.

I hope she isn't outside...

#4 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,378 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:14 PM

Dude. That is totally creative resourceful primitive primeval and overall pretty kick ass.
+1 on mental toughness as well.

BMF status for the new guy
  • 1Man1Garage, tpalmiter and BeachBuckeye like this

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#5 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:57 PM

Awesome setup and dedication. 

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory - William Barclay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users