• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hfierro

hfierro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:54 AM

Hi, all - new to the community here and excited about staring the program next week. Anywho, I have a bit of a stupid question,which involves the adding of weight to the lifts every cycle - reading through the FAQ document, I found the following:

Question: Should I try to establish a new max on every third week? 

Answer: No. The max effort method in the working sets is about lifting at your max effort, not beyond every time. I normally base this off of feel. If I feel like I could set a new PR, then I go for it. Some weeks I am just happy I got to 100%

Reading that, it's clear that no maxes should be established EVERY third week. However...

Question: How much should I advance each cycle? 

Answer: Any small jump in strength training is a good jump. You can increase by 2.5 lb, 5 lb, and in some cases 10lb. Never more than 10 lb, unless you tested a new max and it was more than 10 lb over your previous tested max. My recommendation for slow and steady gains would be 5 lb every cycle. 

With the above, wouldn't adding 5 lb every new cycle essentially be the same as creating a new max every cycle?

Apologies in advance, but I'd really appreciate a dumbing down of the above!

#2 Poppy G

Poppy G

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

If you run version one then adding weight every cycle will still Keep you under your max for a few cycles. It's when you run version two that you last lift of the last set is your max.
My last word will probably be
"Whoops"
"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#3 hfierro

hfierro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:07 PM

If you run version one then adding weight every cycle will still Keep you under your max for a few cycles. It's when you run version two that you last lift of the last set is your max.

Gotcha, knew there had to be a simple explanation - much appreciated!

#4 trscott6

trscott6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:59 AM

But on that note, what do you do when you miss the last lift of that cycle? Switch to version 1? Don't add the weight? Or just add the 5 lbs and work through the next cycle?

#5 Poppy G

Poppy G

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:12 AM

Up to you. You can either run it again at the same weight.. Which personally I would Do or add the weight and see how it goes. Either way if you miss the lift 3 times or for 3 cycles then drop your 1rm by 5# for upper or 10# for lower and start again
My last word will probably be
"Whoops"
"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users