#1 jay8anks

jay8anks

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:41 PM

https://aeon.co/essa...ons-for-disease

[T]he regulation of fat accumulation in fat cells, in which the process is said to be driven by ‘high blood glucose elicit[ing] the release of insulin’, which favours fat storage ‘while inhibiting fatty acid mobilisation in adipose tissue’. And yet they also have sections on human obesity that state dogmatically that it is ‘the result of taking in more calories in the diet than are expended by the body’s energy-consuming activities’. Both exist side by side in the same books. Both cannot be true.

Both can't be true? You know, I totally believe this article, 100%. But yet, there does seem to also be some truth to calories in and calories out. How they both can be true, you know what, I don't know. But I joined MFP and started counting cals, and quickly dropped 75 pounds. MFP also let me see why paleo works so well, because all the stuff you cut out on paleo is the highest cal stuff.

It seems rather two faced of me to say that obesity is caused by insulin AND also has something to do with calories. But both seem to hold some truth to them, to a degree.

The test for me would be this: Feed animals (or people) equal amounts of calories, but make one group get low carb and one group high carb (remember, same amount of calories. Which weighs more, a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers?). If the high-carb group puts on weight and the low-carb group doesn't, then insulin has to be a factor, too. After all, a calorie is a calorie, right???

I listened to this short book not too long ago: F.U. Fat. He makes a big deal about a calorie being a calorie, and that the problem is an energy imbalance. And then he goes right on to talk about the quality of food we eat, and how carbs can raise your insulin level (and quickly make you hungry shortly after eaten when your insulin levels crash).

So, both cannot be true?

• GansalFlome likes this

#2 jay8anks

jay8anks

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:45 PM

Well, I'm about to throw in the towel and say that paleo works so well because it cuts out the high calorie foods right off the bat. Something I have thought for a long time. A very good read here:

http://wholehealthso...ting-which.html

The low carb angle seems to work best for people that are already overweight (and it didn't make much difference for people that weren't overweight. A calorie is a calorie):

Somewhat paradoxically, once a person is overweight or obese, increasing the proportion of protein and fat at the expense of carbohydrate can help control appetite and reduce body fatness.

And I totally agree with this:

I think there are still mysteries here that deserve further scientific exploration.

Some things don't add up on both sides of the debate. It seems that there is some truth both ways. Also, for the overweight, high-carbs seems to be associated with more disease.

#3 jay8anks

jay8anks

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

Some misc related links

It’s NOT The Calories – Quality is What Counts

The Mysterious Virus That Could Cause Obesity

The Fullness Factor   (some foods fill you up better than other foods).

The Skinny Gut Diet   There is more to it than calories in...  The mystery deepens.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: insulin obesity, sugar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users