Photo

Sequencing for two people in one space...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jamespierce

jamespierce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:52 AM

Back Story: I lift three times a week with my wife... We've worked through Starting Strength over the last few years ... moving from the standard linear progression to a variant of the Texas Method for the last year (for variety and LP was getting a bit much for recovery).  Both of us have ok numbers ~2x BW Deadlift, 1.5x Squat etc

Neither of us are looking to get massive, just stay strong and fit.  This year our goal is to be more rounded and get aerobically fitter and a bit more explosive again.  In the past I've been a competitive endurance athlete, and while I'll never get back to the same level while strength training I'd like to get back to being solid, rather than puffing up hills like today.

We both run / cycle / do 'stuff' beyond our strength training so not too worried about adding more conditioning work in the gym itself.

We are both on our way towards 40 so managing fatigue can be an issue sometimes.

Problem: Our gym is tiny, and like most people we are time crunched in the morning.  We're figuring out how to juggle our time in the gym, in particular the EMOM.  Typically to date we take it in turns with our lifts and that gives enough between set recovery, but that's not practical for 10 to 15min sets of EMOM.  Also we like doing Squat, Dead, Bench, Press and Row for balance - 5 lifts and not enough days in the week...

Possible Solution ?: Mondays we do both squat sets and EMOMs - The other days we do two lift sets and alternate the EMOM sets - that means one person can use the rack and the other can use the floor space to double up.

Monday
SQUAT SETS - SQUAT EMOM

Wednesday
DEADLIFT and BENCH SETS - DEAD/BENCH EMOM (Alternate Weeks - One person does one, the other does the other)

Friday
PRESS and ROW SETS - PRESS/ROW EMOM (Alternate Weeks - One person does one, the other does the other)

Thoughts Gang ?

#2 Poppy G

Poppy G

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,153 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:58 AM

Are you managing the weights properly? As is you have the wife's weights set up along with yours so as to waste less time that way?
If your wife is using 50# and you 75# then set up her bar she goes on the minute and then as soon as she if finished add your weight and you hit your lifts which should be less than 30 seconds.
Is there a reason you only train 3 times. A week?
Have you checked the updated version of OMOB it makes doing this program faster and also in my opinion let's you add extra work.
If you want to do 5 lifts then make your training plan a 8 or

10 day cycle so you get all your lifts in along with all the EMOM work.
My last word will probably be
"Whoops"
"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#3 jamespierce

jamespierce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:30 AM

Yup we are pretty organised in the gym, it may as you say be possible to just interleave the EMOMs - I hadn't considered a 10 day cycle, I don't mind that, changes up what you get each day of the week.  If it ends up being every 70-75 seconds on the 75 seconds it's not going to matter much.  Still get the work done.

3 times a week is just what we have found fits consistently with other exercise and life.  We lift Mon/Wed/Fri and do something else Tue/Thu/Sat with Sunday being a rest day every week.

• VidaMD and Pops like this

#4 jamespierce

jamespierce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:33 AM

Yup we are pretty organised in the gym, it may as you say be possible to just interleave the EMOMs.

3 times a week is just what we have found fits consistently with other exercise and life.  We lift Mon/Wed/Fri and do something else Tue/Thu/Sat with Sunday being a rest day every week.

I actually like the idea of a rolling set of days.  Breaks up the monotony of squats on Monday, etc etc... As I said, neither of us is at a stage where max gains or efficiency is the goal.  More broad health and some balance with the rest of life.

• Poppy G likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users