3 replies to this topic

#1 kgpagel

kgpagel

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:37 PM

I am using the (+) system. Next week is the third week and I may or may not be able to hit more reps on the lbs than prescribed, but if I feel good should I only hit the first number and then try for a new PR?

For example, I am supposed to do 1(+) at 310 for squat next monday. The whole reason I did this version of the program was because I wanted to raise that number quickly. So, should I do 1(+) on 310, or do I feel good and try for 320 (or whatever)?

#2 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:56 PM

Good question but vague answer.  It depends

Personally I like hitting a PR on the + vs. actual 1RM.  However, sometimes you just need to see that number on the bar.  

So, IMHO - you know how your lift is going so if you're feeling it, go for it.  Either one or both - there's is no magic formula and you won't damage your next lift.  Using your example, you hit 310 and feel good so you hit a second rep.  Let's assume that's a PR now - but you still feel good.  Hit another rep or go for 320 -  you will have days when that doesn't happen so when it does roll with it.  Just don't adjust your programmed training maxes because of that, stay the course.

Wendler calls these Joker sets - and they're optional.  When you're on, push it, when you're not - live to fight another day.

Hope that helps

• Jumper, Pops, UKoldguy and 1 other like this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#3 kgpagel

kgpagel

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:12 PM

Thanks. So, lets say I hit 310 for 3 reps this week. When I come back around to OMOB after the deload week do I just add 5 pounds to all my numbers?

#4 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:47 PM

yep - if you're feeling good you can usually add 10lbs to your squat and deadlift but stick with 5 for bench/ohp.

• kgpagel likes this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users