#1 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:20 PM

Starting with Harder to Kill, bit slow on the log so to bring it up to date (weights in Kg)

Wednesday 19/4

Strength Test 1:

Supersets (not so used to snatches so going easy)

Snatch: 3 x 30          Bench 8 x 70

3 x 30                     6 x 80

3 x 30                     5 x 80

2 x 40                     4 x 90

2 x 40                     3 x 100

2 x 40                     2 x 100

1 x 40                     1 x 110

OHP: 5 x 40,40,50,50,60

Assistance: Sumo Deadlift High Pull 3 x 12 x 50, One arm KB Swing 3 x 10 x 32

NO burnouts (burnt enough)  - Need to get some 2.5kg plates to increment only have 5kg plates

Thursday 20/4

H2K Endurance test (run): 4.86km (struggled with pacing, walked during rest periods)

Friday 21/4

Metcon

Row 2001m

11 x Box jumps, Thrusters 50kg, Burpee pullups, Power Clean 50kg (couldn't be arsed putting up to 70kg), HSPU (tough not used to these), KB Swing 32kg, toes to bar (more like knees to elbows), Deadlift 70kg (appreciated the rest to put the weights up), Push Jerk 48kg (KBs)

Row 2001m

Time: 28.48 (thoughts in the last 1000m that this was particularly cruel and unusual workout)

Saturday 22/4 - rest was appreciated

Sunday 23/4

Strength 2

Supersets

Clean 5 x 50     Deadlift 5 x 100

4 x 50                   4 x 110

4 x 60                   4 x 120

3 x 60                   3 x 130

2 x 70                   2 x 140

2 x 70                   2 x 140

1 x 80                   1 x 150

Squat: 5 x 80, 90, 100, 110 (cautious as have had some knee issues)

Assistance: Pullups 3 x BW, Pushups (elbow twinge so no dips) 3 x 20

Burnout: Supersets 2 x 1 min Plank, 10 x knees to elbows...done

• VidaMD, Stu, Poppy G and 2 others like this

#2 steviesch

steviesch

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

Nice work albi...feeling your pain:-)
  • albi likes this

#3 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:26 PM

x2.2

Well done. Some good stuff.

• albi likes this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#4 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:49 AM

24/04 Day 6

Metcon x 2

1. AMRAP 5 minutes  10 x 32kg KB Swings, 5 Burpees  - 8 rounds exact

Paced pretty well on this one could go harder

rest 7 minutes

2. 21,15,9,6,3 x 40kg SDHP, Push press  - Time 6.07

The last four sets really sucked...Seemed like about 5 minutes before I could  peel myself off the floor after finishing

Day 7

25/04 should be rest but swapping the workouts around as travelling this week so back to

Strength 1

Supersets

3 x 30                     6 x 80

3 x 30                     5 x 80

2 x 50                     4 x 90

2 x 50                     3 x 100

2 x 50                     2 x 100

1 x 60                     2 x 100

OHP: 5 x 50

Assistance: Sumo Deadlift High Pull 3 x 12 x 50, One arm KB Swing 3 x 10 x 32

burnouts 2 x 8 plyo push ups, plate jumps

• Stu, steviesch and Poppy G like this

#5 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:12 AM

Day 8 26/04 Rest (pretty sore)

Day 9 27/04 Melbourne

Supposed to do the endurance (sprint) workout but was pissing down with rain and dark and the Hotel had a neat little gym with a brand new concept 2 so did

5 x 1000m, 20 pushups

Time 21.20 (e model is a bit different, had a higher rating to achieve the same 500 split...interesting) felt pretty good although pretty wrecked at the end

Day 10 28/04 Sydney

Was going to rest but woke up early and was a cracking  Autumn day and being in North Sydney couldn't resist a quick squirt over the Harbour Bridge and back

4.5km 21min 

• steviesch, Poppy G and Hillside Honey Badger like this

#6 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:04 AM

Day 11  29/04 - Back in Brisbane Strength Workout (day 10 per the H2K)

This one said Strength on the box but was particularly cruel & unusual...maybe it was a mental strength thing

8 x 3 Heavy Good Mornings? (I think I've only ever done these once or twice before so no idea what heavy is?)

So did

3 x 40, 50, 60, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70  so found ground there, wasn't confident going any heavier with an unfamiliar movement and new I was going to be hella sore anyways. 

5 minutes rest  - Then a WOD ?

10 Minutes AMRAP of 5 Pullups, 10 Pushups, 15 squats

completed 9 rounds + 5 Pullups, 10 pushups (Pull ups strict, but last couple rounds some jumping)

Then

3 x 6 minute running intervals ( a sprint he said) and that's where the fun began, I wasn't sure if it was jump straight in after the bell on the AMRAP but took a minute to strap on the iPhone and headphones and off I went flat out...

After the first minute it struck me that the entire previous workout had conspired to fuck my hammies and fatigue the quads and so by the time I hit minute two I was in strife as my stride shortened to some kind of stiff waddle...

Minute 3 and the turnaround point I knew I was cactus as I live on top of a hill and I'd just hit the bottom.

Minute 4 I thought my lungs were going to come out my nose and the last two well, cars started to slow as it probably looked like I was going to have a stroke... at 6 I mentally congratulated myself for staying upright. I thought I was going to cark it and was all over the place like a mad womans breakfast

1.12 km...

The four minutes rest went quicker than a lamington at a weightwatchers meeting but I managed to stretch the hamstrings back to some sort of functional shape.

Round 2 was more misery but I paced better and pulled up at 1.19km

after 3 minutes rest  I was seriously thinking of spitting the dummy and that I needed this last interval like I needed a third armpit. Thankfully, coach stepped in, in the form of my 8 year old son who was riding around on his bike and decided he was going with me...Same as for round 2 but at 4 minutes I was really blowing, but the boy shrieking that I needed to pick up the pace so he could get up the hill or he would run me over kept the legs pumping and finished

1.25km

The beers after I collected myself and regained the ability to speak never tasted so good

• steviesch, Poppy G and Hillside Honey Badger like this

#7 steviesch

steviesch

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:32 AM

Like;like;like!!

#8 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:52 AM

Day 12  - 30/04

Strength again, although after the previous experience I thought I'd be a bit wiser as felt a bit tight through the hammies and lower back

Heavy Thrusters 8 x 3 (as per previous workout no idea what heavy is but thought I'd take it slow)

30,40,50,50,50,50,50,50, found it hard to coordinate these ones not being used to Thrusters and smashed my wrists but felt better towards the end

Then 3 x max reps supine ring pulls...another exotic exercise did 15,12,10 with maybe a minutes rest between sets

Then WOD...Hallelujah I thought, only one couplet

AMRAP 15 minutes 10 x Box Jumps @24" and 2 x Front squats @ heaviest thruster weight (50kg)

after 7 rounds I realised how wrong I was....Box jumps is another exercise I haven't done for years...

Whilst the suffering was indeed intense I was surprised at how smooth the front squats were - finished with 16 rounds +2 Box Jumps

1/05/17 - Day 13

Rest Day - just as well could. not. move.

• Poppy G and Hillside Honey Badger like this

#9 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

Beer -  the ultimate recovery drink

• Pops likes this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#10 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

:lol: That is some awesome log up there! Like, like, like. Keep it up. And don't try to kid yourself... 162 box jumps and 32 front squats is highly impressive. Well earned rest day.

• albi likes this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

#11 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

Beer -  the ultimate recovery drink

Surprisingly effective.....wife: what are you doing lying on the ground? Me: Cant move workout destroyed me, wife: Why don't you get a beer? Me: its a miracle, my legs are working again

• Stu likes this

#12 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

:lol: That is some awesome log up there! Like, like, like. Keep it up. And don't try to kid yourself... 162 box jumps and 32 front squats is highly impressive. Well earned rest day.

Thanks! erm...I actually had to take a second rest day as was still ridiculously sore

#13 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

2/5/17  Day 14

Second rest day as was still to sore to contemplate cleaning and squatting, did some rolling instead - Mobility WOD my new best friend cant recommend it enough!

3/5/17 Day 15

Strength 2

Supersets

Clean 5 x 60    Deadlift 5 x 100

4 x 60                  4 x 120

4 x 70                   4 x 130

3 x 70                   3 x 130

2 x 80                   2 x 140

2 x 80                   2 x 150

1 x 80                   1 x 150

Some decent gains and cleans more comfortable - really sux with one bar...its another workout in itself and time consuming

Squat: 5 x 90, 100, 100, 110, 110 much smoother squat and with more weight

Assistance: Pullups 2 x BW, Pushups (elbow twinge so no dips) 2 x 20 - ran out of time so missed last set and burnouts

This one is hard to fit into the hour as I need a good warmup early in the morning

4/5/17 - Day 16

rest

• Poppy G and danduerksen like this

#14 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

2/5/17  Day 14

Second rest day as was still to sore to contemplate cleaning and squatting, did some rolling instead - Mobility WOD my new best friend cant recommend it enough!

I'm a recent romwod convert myself. Couldn't pull the trigger on the mobwod subscription, but did find a copy of his book floating around in the interweb so I have that as a reference. Can't overstate the difference it makes at the end of the day.

• albi likes this

#15 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

5/5/17 Day 16 (as I've inserted an extra rest day and moving w/o around with travel last week and next week there will be 3 day 16s to keep me in sync with the program)

Metcon X 2

1. 10 Min AMRAP run 250m, 10 Burpees, 10 KB Swings - 5 rounds on the bell (well did 2 reps to close out while it rang)

Rest 7 minutes

2.  10 Min AMRAP 21 x Thrusters @ 40, 40, 20kg, 15 situps, 9 wall ball shots w 7kg - 3 rounds +5 thrusters (I suck at thrusters, smashes my wrists - weight was too heavy to start so the first set was 16/5, second 11,4,3,2,1, Third stormed through with the lighter weight)

Besides the thrusters I almost enjoyed this one once the suck was done. Short, Sharp and brutal

6/5/17 -  Day 16

Strength 1 weights in Kg

Supersets

3 x 40                     6 x 80

3 x 40                     5 x 80

2 x 50                     4 x 90

2 x 50                     3 x 100

2 x 60                     2 x 110

1 x 60 (+10 on last 5 sets) 2 x 110 (+10 on last 2 sets)

Snatch  more comfortable  - although still power snatching so will immerse myself in the movement prior to the next one.

OHP: 5 x 50 (+10kg surprised me this one!)

Assistance: Sumo Deadlift High Pull 3 x 12 x 60, One arm KB Swing 3 x 10 x 32 (+10kg)

burnouts 2 x 10 plyo push ups, plate jumps - (couldn't do the plate jumps, calves and feet cramping, completely spent at the end of this one)

discovered the podcasts prior to this one  - great stuff! Some good common sense stuff and some real gems - recommend the bits on pacing, breathing ladders and mental set up for metcons in one of the latest ones...Fired me up too!

• Poppy G likes this

#16 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

07/05/17  Day 17

Strength ( am wise to these titles now)

10 minutes to find near Max Push Jerk   - 5x 40, 3x 50, 2x 60,70,80 felt good

5 minutes rest then 

WOD

3 rounds for time 10 front Squats @ 60kg, 10 Box Jumps 24"  - 3.59 was careful on the squats and jumps, wary of aged knees

rested 3 minutes (felt recovered then )

Interval - Row Concept 2 Damper on 7

2min / 2min rest - 606m

4min / 4 min rest 1118m

8min / die  2112m

felt the podcast from yesterday really helped the performance - much embracing of the suck in the last interval and the aftermath was nasty - battery acid in the veins! Still the trick of focusing on the immediate goal - 30sec / target metre etc. definitely helped me hang in and managed to smash the last 30 sec home too, which felt awesome to finish on and then the nausea kicked in...

• Stu, steviesch, danduerksen and 1 other like this

#17 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:45 PM

Looking good and gooder. Keep it up. I have harder to kill waiting in the wings so liking the feedback before I give it a try.

#18 Poppy G

Poppy G

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:10 PM

I keep looking at harder to kill as well.. But looking is as far as I have got so far lol.
My last word will probably be
"Whoops"
"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#19 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:13 PM

I keep looking at harder to kill as well.. But looking is as far as I have got so far lol.

I picked it up when it went on sale for $7. I thought it was a pretty solid investment. Even if I don't use it for a while it's good to have if I ever do need something new to try.

#20 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

Looking good and gooder. Keep it up. I have harder to kill waiting in the wings so liking the feedback before I give it a try.

I picked it up when it went on sale for $7. I thought it was a pretty solid investment. Even if I don't use it for a while it's good to have if I ever do need something new to try.

Jump on in the waters warm ;-)  to be fair the intensity surprised me initially but I guess the mental toughness thing is a big part of it...I'm enjoying the challenge unfortunately travel is not my friend at the moment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users