#41 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:00 AM

Best way I've found is to plan the lifts  - the spreadsheet you get works out the weights for each set so the challenge is just in successive workouts to beat your previous and seeing as I bench way more than I can snatch I put the smaller plates in the middle so I'm only changing one or two plates at most in between. I have found though that my snatch has really improved (although still power snatching) which kind of negates this approach now.

I disagree. Unless you are snatching in an Olympic lifting competition you can snatch anyway you choose. Same with clean.

• Poppy G, albi and Allieideply like this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#42 Poppy G

Poppy G

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:45 AM

Yep I agree with Dan. I o ly ever power clean and snatch..
  • albi likes this
My last word will probably be
"Whoops"
"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#43 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

Day 30 Strength (re-ordered with travel tomorrow and Friday)

Supersets

Clean 5 x 70    Deadlift 5 x 110

4 x 80                  4 x 120

4 x 80                   4 x 130

3 x 80                   3 x 130

2 x 80                   2 x 140

2 x 80                   2 x 150

1 x 80                   1 x 150

arse kicked 1/2 way through,  missed 90 on the 3rd last set of cleans legs a bit fatigued from sprints yesterday - no pop

Squat: 5 x 90, 110, 110, 110, 110 was a battle every rep as just had nothing today 

Too stuffed for assistance exercises  - just had to lie down for about twenty minutes

Think I'll start supplementing Creatine to get a few more reps and definitely need to increase the calories  - had a light breaky and a sandwich for  lunch, so think I need to fuel up for better performance. Some days are just a grind! Looking forward to a rest day...

• Stu, Poppy G, Virtus and 1 other like this

#44 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 914 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

Those are the days where you make more mental than physical gains. Way to push through!

• albi likes this

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." 

The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

#45 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:43 AM

17/06/17 Day 33

After two days rest, I was feeling a bit bullish "Oh YAY its Double WOD day!!!" Was really interested to see what kind of exotic suck would be dished up...as its really hard to even guess how they'll go

7 min AMRAP

12 Deadlift @ 100kg
6 Handstand Push-ups - off a 3 inch foam pad

I thought the HSPU would  be the limiting factor as I hardly ever do them, set my self a stretch target of 5 rounds and hit the timer with a smile...

1st round good, 2nd round was getting pretty gassed, half way through the third round of DL by lower back seized up and started to cramp! legs good, cardio  under control but no juice in the lower back...so struggled through the rest of the set...and that was it from a performance POV...Remaining DLs done as singles and doubles with lots of rest, mostly sumo style...HSPU no problem... finished with 4 rounds + 6 DL

Took the full 10 minute rest and tried to loosen up the lower back as I was now filled with dread for

4 min AMRAP (reps)

Kettlebell Swings, 32kg

Was a full 4 minutes of misery  - set target of 80, was happy to get 85.

Totally blasted!

• VidaMD, Stu, Poppy G and 4 others like this

#46 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:12 PM

That is one outstanding session! Gotta love those kb swings when your back is in full revolt. Way to suffer through.

• Virtus and albi like this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

#47 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 914 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

That is one outstanding session! Gotta love those kb swings when your back is in full revolt. Way to suffer through.

Hell yeah! Suffer through and beat your goal!
  • albi likes this

#48 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:51 AM

Day 35ish 20/6/17

So had to take 2 rest days before my lower back and hammies became mostly functional again  - lots of foam rolling and mobility which probably hurt more than that last workout

Back into it today with the RUN version

2 x 1600m 7 minutes rest - stuffed up the timer on the way back so didn't get total time

Did 3 sets of dips  / pullups in the rest so I caught up on the assistance I missed the other day.

1st 1600 felt OK ran hard and was tired (did I mention I live at the top of a hill) - The run back colossally sucked after the first 500m and I got completely gassed...so last km was just and effort to try and keep upright and moving forward.

Looking forward to the strength tomorrow...

#49 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 5,550 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

"...(did I mention I live at the top of a hill)..."

LOL! I would too if I lived in the land of dinosaurs and other sorted Goliath's :) 

Good stuff Albi 

• albi likes this

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#50 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:32 PM

21/06/2017 Day 36  - ooh last did this workout on day 26

Supersets

Snatch: 3 x 40          Bench 8 x 70

3 x 50                     6 x 80

3 x 50                     5 x 80

2 x 50                     4 x 90

2 x 60                     3 x 100

2 x 60                     2 x 110

1 x 60                    2 x 110 (same weight)

OHP:  4x5x 60, 1 x4 x 70 (in the middle set)

Assistance: Sumo Deadlift High Pull 3 x 12 x 60, One arm KB Swing 3 x 10 x 32 (+10kg)

had to catch a plane so no time for  burnouts today - felt OK same weights as last time but this was an early a.m. workout and a bit tight in the hammies and hips from the run yesterdady so not game to push it too much B) Day of rest tomorrow!

• Stu, Poppy G and danduerksen like this

#51 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

Nice work!!

• albi likes this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#52 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:36 AM

22/3/17 - Rest and fly to Sydney

23//6/17 - Run 5k , was supposed to do the e03 5k but pushed for time and travelling so settled for an easy 5k around North Sydney

24/6/17 - Day 37 on the program (juggling the workouts with travel) another hybrid strength +WOD, I'm awake to these cunning suck traps now and expecting some real burn - havent really done OHS (I power snatch) so thought this one would be interesting...awake enough to do about 30 minutes of mobility work in the hips and glutes before I started ;-)

Strength  - Squat

5 x 70kg

5 x 80

5 x 90

5 x 100

5 x 110

Felt good but a bit rusty for the first few as its been a while since I've done squats - went conservative given the WOD & my tweaky knees

Rest 5 minutes

WOD - 15 min AMRAP

10 Pull-ups
7 OHS @ 135 lb. - scaled to 40kg as Jareds guide said go lighter to make sure you keep moving for the full 15, tried a few reps at 50 kg in the warmup and definitely was a smarter move to go a little lighter....and given my inexperience at the OHS I resolved to keep a steady pace to avoid injury.

The suck level of this however, was not too bad and my limiting factor was really the Pull ups once I got past the fourth set and had to break to jumping for the rest. The last two sets of OHS started to get a bit wobbly - not from the legs but the core as was already fatigued from the squats.

Did 8 rounds + 10 Pull ups.

25/6/17 - Day 38 was supposed to be strength (cleans and deads) but was too sore from the OHS and squats so took a rest day

• Poppy G and danduerksen like this

#53 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:37 AM

26/6/17 Day 38 Strength (by the program)

Supersets (afternoon work out)

Clean 5 x 70    Deadlift 5 x 110

4 x 80                  4 x 120

4 x 80                   4 x 130

3 x 80                   3 x 140

2 x 90                   2 x 140

2 x 90                   2 x 150

1 x 90                   1 x 160

amazing what a difference a rest day makes - felt good all  the way through hit 90kg on the clean early  (best yet) and stepped up the deads to 160 also best yet

rest 3 minutes, was feeling a bit tentative for the squats cos by now I was pretty toasted so decided to step up 10kg off the bat to see how it went

Squat: 5 x 100, 110, 110, 110, 110 smooth technique but last two reps of the last three sets were a real fight.

pushed for the time so cycled through the assistance pretty quick but adrenalin was high

3 x strict pull ups 12,10,10

3 x push ups 30,30, 25

:)

• VidaMD, Poppy G and danduerksen like this

#54 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

Mighty! Couple great sessions in the books!

• albi likes this

#55 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:33 AM

27/6/17 Day 39 - Rest

28/6/17 Day 40  - Double Metcon day Yay! (in a subdued voice) seriously though I now am genuinely interested to see how these go because they are cruel..

Workout  1:

8 min AMRAP:

7 KB swings @ 1.5 pood (24kg)
7 burpees

No dramas here - think I scaled too easily as still had some gas in the tank when the timer went at 10 rounds even

~rest 4 min~

8 min AMRAP:

15 double unders
10 toes to bar

I was not looking forward to these even with my previous breakthrough in double unders and especially as an early morning workout..I was right the first 2 sets sucked and really slowed me down. But then the fatigue set in and hey presto straight through sets... weird! The limiting factor here though was the strict Toes to bar where I hit failure at rep 8 in set 3 and switched to 20 sit ups to keep things moving (have not done many of these - weakness identified!)

finished with 5 sets plus 10 double unders.

• Stu, Poppy G and danduerksen like this

#56 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

Commendable! Look forward to trying this program in the fall.

#57 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:44 AM

Commendable! Look forward to trying this program in the fall.

I'm almost done and will publish my lessons learned  - has definitely been a worthwhile experience...cant really say it was enjoyable ;)

• Virtus likes this

#58 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:20 PM

I'm almost done and will publish my lessons learned  - has definitely been a worthwhile experience...cant really say it was enjoyable ;)

Haha... we're not here because it's easy. Comprehensive reviews are always welcome. Always helpful to know how it worked for someone else.

• Stu, Virtus and albi like this

#59 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 914 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

Hard times breed hard people. Looking forward to the AAR.

• Stu and albi like this

#60 albi

albi

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

01/07/17 Day 43

Strength Test

1. Take 15 minutes to find 1RM Snatch   - 70kg

rest 5 minutes

2. Take 15 minutes to find 1RM Clean - 90kg...missed 100kg 3 times by a bees dick on the snap ...plenty of height on the pull - just a technique thing

Pretty happy with the improvement on the intial which was 40kg snatch and 80kg clean and all round in general - that's not bad for a short cycle especially with all the travel mucking things around.

02/07/17 Day 44

Endurance test - max distance

Run 7 min.
Rest 6 min.
Run 5 min.
Rest 4 min.
Run 3 min.
Rest 2 min.
Run 1 min.

5.16k which is a 200m  improvement on the last, happy with that as the flu half way through the program really set my cardio back.

Now  onto the next challenge I think its on to OMOB for a while ..

Lessons Learned:

1. don't do this one if you have to do travel or are going on hols etc...consistency kills

2. I would not recommend this one to beginners  - even with scaling its tough 

3. For those of us on the wrong side of 40 I would recommend taking an extra rest day when required I just couldn't recover quick enough with some of the workload, I think those under 30 will really see stellar improvement that being said...

4. Diet and sleep really critical for this one, I really felt it when my diet/sleep was missing  - key thing will be getting enough good calories and protein. Also consider creatine supps, I felt it did help performance in some of the strength workouts.

5. Mobility and recovery  - Mobility WOD really helped with this, Aside from the strength and endurance improvement it really forced me to get a bit more serious with my mobility and ROM - alternative will probably be an injury.

6. I went in looking for a  challenge and certainly found it - each workout will test you right to the end...its certainly amped my attitude to training and am much stronger mentally and I think that's the greatest benefit from the program - that will have a carry over effect.

7. Lastly for those considering starting H2K  - practice and get good at Double unders, deadlift, snatch, clean, as it will make a difference. Also practice sprinting there is a bit of it and being unused to going flat out it kicked my arse more than anything.

• Stu and danduerksen like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users