4 replies to this topic

#1 immune

immune

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hi all,

I just bought OMOB a couple days ago and am about to get started. Before I do, a couple quick questions:

1. I noticed that Ground Zero specifies core exercises but OMOB does not. Are you guys doing core training with OMOB (either as specified by Ground Zero or not)?
  2. Any thoughts on a good mobility/flexibility program to pair with OMOB? Something more specific than "go to MobilityWOD" would be ideal. :)

Thanks in advance.

#2 immune

immune

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

Oh yeah, forgot one more: What are you guys doing for a warm-up?

#3 Requiem

Requiem

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:51 AM

Since no one's responded, yet, I'll throw my two cents in...

Mobility wod is great. The dude's a genius. Buy his book "Becoming A supple leopard". You can do ALOT with a lacrosse ball, and you don't have to spend a bunch of money (like I did, but still worth it) on the mobility equipment. For hip mobility, check out "HAM hip mobility" and "HUG hip mobility" drills on youtube. These were put together by rob shaul and were designed to be done during a workout, our during a dynamic warmup.

For warmups, here is great advice from the "SOFWODs" website. I try to follow this as best as possible. They do similar training to OMOB, although typically longer in duration for the endurance and metcon training portions...

"Conduct the SOF WODs Warm Up prior to every WOD:
5+ minutes on a foam roller
400m Run or Row
20 push ups
20 sit ups
20 air squats
20 back arches
Hang on the pull up bar to elongate spine and open shoulder capsules.
3 x 5 pull ups
Dynamic stretches (stretches involving movement)
Static stretches (stretches with limited movement)
Work on specific movements with PVC or a 45# bar

- Post WOD conduct 10+ minutes of stretching and a 5+ minute flush on the foam roller. Reference www.mobilitywod.com for pointers on mobility."

Edit: forgot to answer your question about core strength. Generally, with cross-fit/strength workouts you should be engaging your core with pretty much every single movement. I believe Ground Zero specifies core strength in order to develop the core of those who haven't been on a regular workout program in a while. With that said, the only core exercise I'll be doing is keepin it tight during the strength portions, and during the WODs.

• kgood, Pielips, Gentleman Gamer and 1 other like this

#4 Gentleman Gamer

Gentleman Gamer

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, AUS

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:06 AM

I've not yet started OMOB, I'm in my third week of Ground Zero.

I too am trying to find a good mobility/flexibility program as well, but I'm not having much luck.

For a warm-up, this is my usual routine:

10mins / 1min per exercise ...roughly

• Torso twists
  • Side bends
  • Full Walk-out & Walk-back Plank - Standing start, bend down(as if you're trying to touch your toes) place your palms on the floor and walk-out into the plank position, now walk your feet forward into the start position - that's 1 rep. Stand up, turn around and begin the next rep.
  • Ginga (alternating rear lunge from Capoeira)
  • Walk Out Push-up - except I squat down, then walk out.
  • Lateral Lunges (both arms come to the front of the body)
  • Push-up to Lateral Plank w/ 5 second hold (alternating sides)
  • Air Squats
  • Bird/Dog- hold for 5 seconds, 5 reps on each side.
  • Straight-up Sit-up, which is akin to a Butterfly sit-up except the legs are straight out instead of splayed.
It's difficult enough to work up a nice sweat by the end, but not so difficult that I'm out of breath.

• immune likes this

~A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.~

Pooh Bear

#5 immune

immune

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

Thanks, guys. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users