Photo

Conditioning - do you count this towards accessory work?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hillside Honey Badger

Hillside Honey Badger

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:07 AM

Sorry for the newbie question.......

I'm starting OMOB V1 in 4 weeks, and I'll likely run it for a few cycles just doing the 4 main lifts (Sq, DL,BP, OHP) plus conditioning, but I'll be lookin to add in accessory work further down the line, mostly sticking to the accessories list in the 2016 update.

My question is, would you count some of the conditioning as accessory work?

I realise it probably wouldn't fall into the rep / intensity range Jerred talks about, but for example - if using the barbell programmer and it gave you BB Good Mornings, tuck jumps, and Hollow Rocks. Would you count the Good Mornings and Hollow Rocks towards your accessory work?

Likewise, if you completed an amrap WOD with say Front Squats, would you count that towards accessory work?

Or would you see those examples as purely conditioning, and try to add accessory work separately?

Semper Paratus - Always Ready

Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball

#2 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,339 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

Good question. I think traditionally accessory work is not meant to be conditioning. I always think of body building routines where you go from bench to incline press to flies to etc. When conditioning your main goal is to jack the heart rate and get your cardiovascular system going. I try to pick an accessory movement and work it into my conditioning. But wouldn't call it accessory work if asked about it. It would depend on your goals how you go about it.

:wacko: Feels like this was a trick question.

• Hillside Honey Badger likes this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#3 Hillside Honey Badger

Hillside Honey Badger

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

Haha, it does sound like a bit of a trick question. Good answer though, so thanks for that.

I think I'd had a bit too much coffee and was over thinking things whilst looking at options for my training schedule!

Semper Paratus - Always Ready

Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball

#4 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,339 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:09 PM

As long as you do your main lift, followed by accessory, followed by conditioning you can't go wrong.

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#5 UKoldguy

UKoldguy

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 2,715 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:43 PM

OK I think it depends on the weight moved.. If you condition with anything over 60/70% of your 1rm I would definitely count that as acc work For sure. Anything under or at around 50% I would count as conditioning. Either way if you are doing it and keeping a record to beat then all is good with the world and who cares.... Just get it done.
  • Stu, danduerksen and Hillside Honey Badger like this
My last word will probably be
"Whoops"
"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#6 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:23 PM

What Lee and Dan said. I'm learning that what keeps us motivated keeps us strong. With proper form at the top of our priority list, wrong and right are debatable, me would thinks. Stay frosty Hillside, and unleash the dogs of war.

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users