Photo

If you had to pick one ab/core exercise...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

I'm looking for some sort of core accessory exercise to add to my "finisher" for lifting days.

Right now I'm using pull-ups, ring dips, push-ups, and KB swings.

Looking to add one more; I'm not really sold on crunches being worth the effort. Maybe an ab roller or K2E/T2B?

If you had to pick just one what would it be?

• aidaes16, latishaht16, AntoineTulk and 8 others like this

Fac, si facis  Do it if you're going to do it.

#2 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:18 PM

Crunches are pretty useless. If I had to choose just 1 core exercise it would be the dragon flag. Close second would be the plank. That's all you really need if you're doing all those other movements. Plus getting in your squats and deadlifts and presses will build up a solid core too.

• Virtus and MCR like this

"Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert physically strong and morally straight and will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be 100% and then some."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#3 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,867 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

I was thinking T2B or planks, probably T2B, for me that is.
  • Virtus likes this
Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#4 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:23 PM

Hollow Holds/Hollow Rocks, or planks.

• Virtus likes this

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory - William Barclay

#5 Basement_dweller

Basement_dweller

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:44 PM

AB WHEELS!!!!! All day every day. Or ring/trx fall outs. can change angle and hit everything. 

• UKoldguy likes this

#6 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for the replies guys but........

I was hoping you would come to a consensus and make it easy on me, not everyone suggest something different.... Jeez  ^_^

• Stu likes this

#7 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

:lol:  You asked...

Honestly (just my opinion) I would go dragon flags, planks, ab roll-out or fall outs, then t2b/k2e. And the only reason the t2b is last is because it involves hanging and if your grip isn't great you're going to be limited. That and I always get a pain in my ass when I try to swing my legs up. But, I usually always do a laying t2b variation when I do my dragon flags.

That makes things easier doesn't it?

• Virtus likes this

"Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert physically strong and morally straight and will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be 100% and then some."

#8 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

What would you guys recommend for planks? Sets of 1 minute holds? 30 seconds straight, 30 seconds right, 30 seconds left? 

I've always done planks on my elbows, the videos in the Facebook group show everyone in a push-up position. What is recommended?

#9 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:02 PM

Ye, and some guy did a ballistic plank, and some guys did a weighted plank. It's up to you. The working part of the plank is keeping your core tight, back straight and butt up. That part shouldn't change too much from elbows to push-up position. I think your arms and shoulders will give out faster in full push-up position so keeping that in mind when planning to do a long plank. If you're going with the plank mix it up a bit. Can do sets of 1 minute holds, left/right, reverse plank, as long as possible planks, ballistic plank, weighted plank, single arm plank, single leg plank, alternate bird dog plank, walk-the-plank, elbows, elbows to push-up to elbows, starfish plank... do something different each time so it doesn't get stale. Planks can get pretty boring pretty fast.

• Stu and BeachBuckeye like this

#10 Hauntedyards

Hauntedyards

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

Abs are stabilizing muscles so if you were to ask me I would say the most effective complete ab / core exercise is SPRINTING.  No bullshit.  :)

• BeachBuckeye likes this

#11 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:35 PM

+1 on everything said.  I would add that it's a muscle like every other one and needs to be loaded from time to time

If you're goal is GPP - rotate through the different movements as stated above.  Keep it fun

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#12 mikhou

mikhou

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:00 AM

Twice per week, I like to do rotate through 1 minutes of planks, 10 T2B, 1 minute of a superman hold, and 10 ab roll-outs.  I just set a timer and do this for 10 minutes.  In reference to danduerksen's post above, I agree that planks can get boring.  I had worked up to planking for a couple of minutes simply by holding the position, and I was holding it in position well, not loosely.  Then I read somewhere to actively tighten everything from the outside in by tucking your pelvis, digging in your toes toward your elbows, digging in your elbows toward your toes, and clenching your fists.  This really ramps us the intensity.  When I did that I could only hold my planks for maybe 30 seconds at that point.  But I also found it much more effective.  So I still do the same little routine above, but I backed my planks down to 30 seconds and began adding 5 seconds every time that I could complete everything.  I'm now up to holding them for one minute as I said above. 

But I'm sorry, I just realized re-reading your post that I didn't answer your question.  I'm assuming for a finisher that you are trying to elevate your heart rate and work on the contraction so I'd probably do T2B's.

• UKoldguy and BeachBuckeye like this

#13 MCR

MCR

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:50 PM

The guy with the ballistic plank was me I think :) 

Well worth digging through these files as i now really want to try that dragon flag thing that Dan posted up! 

My little boy does gymnastics and his coach says the best thing to do is hollow holds then roll over to your front and hold that (superman hold?). All you need is a floor and can be done anywhere. Is it easy? A whole world of nope! 

I ignore my core too much and hope that the big lifts cover it (well GGA programming too) but I would plank, T2B and if strong enough do a GHD sit up (not fast risking injury but over the full ROM for the abs) if programming my own workouts. 

• UKoldguy and danduerksen like this

#14 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:50 PM

late to the party. all good points. Agree with Vida...Don't be afraid to mix in different work.

I've grown to prefer/hate ab roll-outs with a weighted vest on OVER a stationary planks. I was admittedly biased in that direction by the influence of two people, independent of each other. Charles Staley and Jim Wendler.

Crunches seem to be a waste...

The sit-up that rolls into a "v-up" has been an ass kicker for me.

Toes to bar a undeniable I suppose but I always either seem limited by grip (hence my use of ab-straps) or what feels like an overuse of the hips.

Hollow rocks are hell too. I would do a different one each session until you land on the one that fits the bill for YOU.

• VidaMD likes this

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users