#1 MCR

MCR

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:11 AM

Hey all, 

Sorry I kind of jumped on another thread when I should have set my own. Seeing as other people are so sharing I'll try be the same. 

I'm from the UK, just turned 37 and workout in my garage gym following the GGA programme. The gym started off small but it's kinda getting crammed in there as I've slowly turned it into what is my perfect workout palace. By that I mean it just has the equipment that I really want though being in the UK I'm limited to one of those pokey little garages that aren't big enough for a car. I pick up my next batch of kit tonight, it's like a little addiction is buying kit!

While on that subject, Anyone else with a garage gym kick them selves that they bought "cheap" in the first place and wish they knew that they'd really dig it and wish they'd just saved up a little longer in the first place? I'll give you a few examples.... I bought a barbell and cast iron weights second hand. Very sensible of me I know but but the bar bell is a hunk of junk with Hex bolts in the end and I'll have to replace it but before I do I need to upgrade my cage. The reason? My cage is perfectly fine and rated to a weight way beyond any that I will get to but it doesn't have everything I want and one of those things is protection for the bar bell on the catchers! Put a lining on you say? but sadly it'll still ruin the knurl on the bar when I rack it as there is no way to avoid this with that style of catcher.  so the upshot is that I'm not spending the £300 on a decent bar until I change the cage. Now the cage... I've been giving this a lot of thought with a view to getting one made up with the spec of things that I want. I've got it in for a price at the moment and if that price is right I will push the button. I don't think it'll be in the affordable range for now but i have my fingers crossed anyway and will always buy it later if not right away. I want the cage to be something that will last a lifetime, impossible to destroy and have all the features i want it to have and maybe even pass the thing on in years to come. 

So yeah.. I did a lot of sport from being young, you name it I probably tried it and carried this on through uni and a few years beyond. Had a kid, got very fat and lazy (I was just making excuses really) and one day I was walking down the stairs and my belly wobbled up and down and I thought that it has to change so set my self the goal of seeing my 6 pack again before i turned 36! I started the very next day, signed up to learn MMA, and hit my 6 pack goal using this, a combination of cycling then onto running when I thought my body could take it as I got fitter and then onto body weight exercises (300 burpees in a session anyone? ) but guess what? i wasn't strong, I was fit, but I was weak. So dropped that stuff (not the MMA, love that stuff) and set on creating my garage obsession, sorry I mean gym and started lifting iron. 

I was pretty sensible in that I followed a structured programme with overload, progression etc (including being a GGA for a while last year) but not anything in the strength range, all hypertrophy stuff pretty much and stopped the cardio kind of things leaving me looking strong but not actually being strong and obviously not that fit in the general life kind of way. 

Anyways I've now managed to get myself into the performance goal headspace rather than aesthetics goals and knew exactly the person to help me get there (love Jerreds programming and content) so back with GGA which is great. That said I do want to get stronger, as shown by the test in the programme, and catch up in that arena once accelerate is over as the fitness side seems to come to me easier. 

Sorry, bit of a disjointed ramble ! 

I look forward to reading about your journeys

• VidaMD, Stu, DwayneMus and 17 others like this

#2 UKoldguy

UKoldguy

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 2,263 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:53 PM

Whoop whoop another brit.. Welcome aboard matey... Nice write up.
Start a log and lets see what you are getting up too..
My last word will probably be
"Whoops"
"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#3 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,867 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

Great intro MCR! Look forward to seeing you bang it out.

I was going to warn you about UKoldguy (Lee), but I think you British are all of of rockers anyway so no need. Lol

You will love it here! Great folks.
  • UKoldguy likes this
Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#4 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:13 PM

Wow. That's a lot of detail. All of a sudden you gga guys realize there's another forum. New blood is always good.

I'll answer your question about equipment. Right now I have a few kb and a bit of homemade stuff and a couple sand bags that I can use in my backyard. As a renter I don't have a garage to build a gym in. The stuff I have at home has become inadequate for following the omob program. It worked great for the kb program and some basic stuff if I don't have time to get to the gym, but without a barbell the gym is where I go. Anyone who has a garage or basement or shed that they can turn into an at home gym is pretty lucky and shouldn't underestimate the value. You started off cheap, but so what? I bet your first car wasn't a Rolls Royce. I bet the car you have now isn't a Rolls Royce either. Right now you have perfectly functional equipment that you can use while you save up to buy your dream kit (that's English for stuff). And the knurling on the bar? This stuff is meant to be used and abused. You're not buying a museum piece. Get over it. Or wrap some athletic tape around the bar. Point is, there's nothing wrong with cheap as long as you know it's cheap.

Besides that. Get in the logs. Everyone here doing something a little different. Always something that might get your interest. Share as much as possible. We all love new information and ideas. Great bunch of guys to keep you motivated.

"Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert physically strong and morally straight and will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be 100% and then some."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#5 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:47 PM

I have two bars. One of them is bent and both of them are falling apart. I have to tighten up the ends each time I use them. My squat rack is made out of two by sixes. My kettlebell is made out of three quarter inch pipe. Do I want new shit? Hell yeah. Do I love what I have? Hell yeah. In case I didn't say that loud enough let me say it again, HELL YEAH!

Now rock on with your bad self
  • BeachBuckeye and danduerksen like this

#6 UKoldguy

UKoldguy

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 2,263 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:45 PM

ok here we go.

I work out in a anytime fittness gym but im moving soon.

The wife has allowed us boys to have a man cave down the end of what will be our new garden or for the mericans and french oh i mean canadians its a back yard.

We have been watching our local sell and buy face book pages and have picked up the following

Bench and eze bar with 40kg of plates = £70

Squats rack with lat pull down station and pull up bars = £110

reebox rower =  £40

Im looking at getting a olympic bar with 160kg weights after we move for about £500

we also have to build the cave for it all to go in which we are looking at about £1000.

i want to make kettle bells and plyo boxes. So watch this space

• Stu and danduerksen like this
"Whoops"

#7 UKoldguy

UKoldguy

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 2,263 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

and where in the uk are you based as im for all my sins am essex based

"Whoops"

#8 MCR

MCR

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:12 AM

Hey yup totally on with the building it all up from the foundations and all that. It's more about the money I've wasted in getting to where I wanted to be rather than just going all in at the start :) 

More a lesson in buying cheap buying twice rather than anything else. I'm extremely grateful for what I have and will have that's for sure. I picked up some new kit on Monday and I get to use a little of it today. i do laugh at the size of the strongman log I bought though, may have bitten off a little more than i can chew with that one for now ! But I will get stronger. 

I'm from Manchester up in the north west. 

As for weights sets and bar... where is your current thinking on that UKoldGuy? I've been driving my self potty over which bar to go for? There's a bunch of sets that are good value but in the end I recently went for 150kg of bumpers separate to the bar and bar wise I'm torn between the ATX Power Bar or something like the Rogue Ohio, TPB or the AOA power bar. cheapest plus also probably best value I think is the ATX but I've a little while to decide yet. 

My current bars are rated to 120kg and I'm squatting and DL more than that so worry about them breaking in use. 

#9 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:01 AM

Forgive me, but, "driving myself potty"?, lol. Crazy Brittish.

Disregard, carry on, lol

#10 UKoldguy

UKoldguy

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 2,263 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

There are  few sites that di discounted bars and weights but Ebay is probably going to be my go to for most of the stuff i need.

"Whoops"

#11 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

A little late to the party but welcome MCR!

• MCR likes this

Fac, si facis  Do it if you're going to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users