6 replies to this topic

#1 dodson914

dodson914

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationArlington, TX

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

Hi all! Like title says I am new to OMOB. I am torn between where to start and hoping the community can help me make this a little simpler. I tend to overthink things.

I am debating between starting off with OMOB V1 or starting with "New Split". I am torn because I don't want to lose a main lift with the new split but I like how it's broken up and has accessory work.

Is there a good way of adding in accessory work to V1? Would it be too much?

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to start!

#2 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:10 PM

:D Fresh blood!!

Here's my opinion (and I'm no expert). Start with v1. If you have time to do accessory or conditioning after the main lift then have at it. There's the list of exercises in the update section. There's no real guide on sets or weights so it's something you have to get a feel for as you go. High reps low weight. Low reps challenging weight. After a cycle (preferably 2-3) of the original omob you should know how it works and what you like. Then you start playing around with v2, the different methods and the split. 

My thoughts on accessory. If you're a gym rookie do some research. Find out what movements compliment what. You'll find out a lot about how to program weights, sets and reps if you do the research. Keep it simple. A few well executed movements are better than a bunch of sloppy exercises. Decide if you're working out to get big (bodybuilder) or if you're working out to get strong (powerlifting) or working out for performance (athlete). Do some more research. Pick your accessories accordingly. Check out the logs for inspiration. Start your own log. Will get lots of guidance as you go.

• Basement_dweller and dodson914 like this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#3 dodson914

dodson914

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationArlington, TX

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:37 AM

:D Fresh blood!!

Here's my opinion (and I'm no expert). Start with v1. If you have time to do accessory or conditioning after the main lift then have at it. There's the list of exercises in the update section. There's no real guide on sets or weights so it's something you have to get a feel for as you go. High reps low weight. Low reps challenging weight. After a cycle (preferably 2-3) of the original omob you should know how it works and what you like. Then you start playing around with v2, the different methods and the split. 

My thoughts on accessory. If you're a gym rookie do some research. Find out what movements compliment what. You'll find out a lot about how to program weights, sets and reps if you do the research. Keep it simple. A few well executed movements are better than a bunch of sloppy exercises. Decide if you're working out to get big (bodybuilder) or if you're working out to get strong (powerlifting) or working out for performance (athlete). Do some more research. Pick your accessories accordingly. Check out the logs for inspiration. Start your own log. Will get lots of guidance as you go.

Thanks! Not really a rookie at lifting. But definitely a rookie at setting it up on my own. I've read a lot, maybe too much and I think it's making me overthink it. lol Thanks again. Gonna start v1 Monday.

#4 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 568 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:21 AM

Welcome Dodson!

I'm just starting my 2nd cycle of OMOB, I would recommend starting with V1. Not sure what your training history is but I think you'll enjoy the program.

V1 can be completed pretty quick depending on what you do for warm ups leaving plenty of time for accessory lifts or conditioning. Like Dan said try to find a few lifts that compliment the main lift that day or target specific weaknesses. Check out some of the logs for inspiration.

And definitely start up a log of your own. Good luck!

Little strokes fell great oaks. - Ben Franklin

#5 Basement_dweller

Basement_dweller

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

Agreed as above. 

Def start a log so we can all steal your accessory work

I like to lift like a powerlifter on my OMOB cycles. V1 is a good start and you can always do AMRAP for the last set, similar to 5/3/1 or the Money maker program.

I found V2 really humbled me and I had to be real honest with my 1RM not a recent PR. a few weeks of a lift can really change things for me

Accessory work can be complimentary. I like to pull if I push, do a lot of upper back pulling to balance pushing. If I press horizontal I pull same. If I press vertical I pull vertical.

And lots of arms, haha. 

I only really hit core and some really minimal accessory work lower body days. I sped up EMOMs to E45 and that left me pretty smoked for a lot of accessory work.

Single leg is always great to work on imbalances. 

This might all be review but might help.

• Virtus likes this

#6 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,377 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

Thanks! Not really a rookie at lifting. But definitely a rookie at setting it up on my own. I've read a lot, maybe too much and I think it's making me overthink it. lol Thanks again. Gonna start v1 Monday.

Programming is tough. When I started lifting in my 20's I would get the muscle & fitness mags and just copy all the splits and workouts from whatever feature bodypart. Real bodybuilder stuff. 5-6 exercises everytime I was in the gym. Had no concept of percentages. I didn't get big or strong. Now I'm reading everything I can about barbell strength training and it's all coming together. I'm still no expert. I tend to overthink things too. When I start overthinking I try to remember everything is better when it's simple. Less is more type stuff. Use what you know. If you're coming in with experience from another program you can incorporate what worked for you into omob.

• Virtus likes this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#7 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,893 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:33 AM

Great advice here with these guys. I think you've made a good choice to start OMOB V1. Just don't get discouraged that the weights might feel too light. Trust the program. Plug in accurate numbers. Accessory work and conditioning will be added and increased in no time. Thats the beauty with OMOB, you'll see. Do 3 cycles , retest your maxes and try V2 or keep rolling with V1, or try the split.

Food for thought: GROUND ZERO is not to be underestimated. It was tough for me and let me know where I stood.

• danduerksen likes this

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users