Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:43 PM

Alright gents I need your help.

I've been feeling extra motivated lately and have been inspired by some friends who just attempted to complete the Bigfoot 200. I have come to the realization that I push myself in the gym and am pretty active but haven't done anything in a while to really test myself. 

I have the big 3-0 coming up next year in February and want to do something to commemorate that milestone, a Rite of Passage of sorts. So needless to say it needs to hurt, a lot.

Playing around with some ideas in my head, a half-marathon isn't enough although this is the farthest I've ever run on a dare with about 2 weeks of training. I hate running on roads so most typical half and full marathons aren't a good fit anyways.

There is an 18-mile trail run a week before my birthday that is local which I was thinking might be a good fit; but then I stumbled upon a 50k trail run on February 10, a little over 25 weeks from today. With some simple math 50k = ~30 miles, coincidence? Happenstance? Serendipity? Fate? A calling?

Am I crazy? Is this feasible? Thoughts? 

• Stu, UKoldguy, BeachBuckeye and 3 others like this

Fac, si facis  Do it if you're going to do it.

#2 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

Am I crazy? Is this feasible? Thoughts? 

Is this feasible? Yes.

Are you crazy? Yes.

Thoughts. Watch the Barkley marathon doc on Netflix. There's another doc coming out soon entitled "where dreams go to die" about a Canadian runner who missed finishing the Barkley by seconds (if I remember right). Trail running can be brutal on it's own. Adding the ultra part is a whole extra level of silliness. Can you train for one in 25 weeks? Absolutely! And I'll be the first to say I'll be cheering you on the whole way. I've done a handful of half marathons, and I would like to think I'll run a few more at some point. I'm a big fan of running. But I even I have to draw the line. Nothing over 21.1 for me (except maybe an ultra beast next year). I applaud your ambition.

You might want to try the shorter distance before tackling the big 50k. Get a taste for it.

And so you know... 50km = 31.055 miles.  

"Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert physically strong and morally straight and will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be 100% and then some."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#3 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 567 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

I was recently talking with a friend about the Catalina (Avalon) 50 Miler, and I didn't realize that only really the elite run the entire event. This guy is in great shape, so I felt encouraged to consider it myself. He said that they never run up a hill you can't see the top of. You run the flat sections...etc. Just a little strategy if it helps?

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory - William Barclay

#4 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:15 PM

When I was 47 and still full of piss and vinegar and not just bullshit, I did OMOB, then 5-3-1 weight training while training for the Spartan trifecta. Along the way, I ran some half marathons and 15k's.

The Spartan Sprint became "easy" and the Spartan Super became just right but the Spartan Beast was fucking horrible, mostly due to the crappy weather conditions.

All that to say, I had upped my mileage in training for the Beast and i realized that I would never get that close to a marathon again so I continued to "ghetto-train" for a marathon, all the while trying to maintain my lifting strength.

Yeah...stupid.

I made the marathon at a 4hr clip (about 9min/mile) until my body said what the FUCK are you doing and started cramping from my ear lobes to my toenails. I finished at a respectable 4:30 but I mention all of that to say this...

Training for those distances requires an IMMENSE amount of sacrifice, in time, in your own musculature, your body, your other training etc.

I'm glad I can say I did it. 20+ mile training runs were a totally mind numbing experience and trying to maintain my love for lifting and my desire to run that far was a contradiction.

And I would never do it again, even if I had NOT torn my Achilles.

IF you decide to run that far, I would drastically modify your strength training program. THEN, I think the chances of it being a successful experience for you would drastically increase.

Train smart, not hard.

• UKoldguy, danduerksen, Hillside Honey Badger and 1 other like this

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#5 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:27 PM

+1 Like

• UKoldguy likes this

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory - William Barclay

#6 UKoldguy

UKoldguy

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 2,159 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:11 PM

Listen to the oldman of EO3

+2

There is a savage Beast in every man,
And when you hand that MAN a Barbell
and send him forth to WAR the Beast stirs

A wise Man once said
"The power of the couch must not be overshadowed by the potatoes it produces"

"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#7 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,693 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:26 PM

If you do go for it your heart will get you a cross that finish line. The great advice you'll get here from these maniacs, well, that shit's heart-healthy.
  • UKoldguy and Virtus like this
Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#8 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:29 AM

Re reading my ramblings there, and it might misread that I think it's a bad idea.
On the contrary, it's a great idea! My point was only to not underestimate the amount of training and miles that you will need to devote to it and that it will come at the cost of some of your awesome hard earned strength.

Can't wait to see. Kick it's ass kid. You're only young once
  • Stu, UKoldguy and Virtus like this

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#9 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:48 PM

Thank you all for the responses.

I am certainly not naive to the enormity of this challenge. After talking to my friend I just realized that I am probably capable of a lot more than I give myself credit for and want to tackle something I had always considered beyond my limits. I don't expect to be competitive but don't want to embarrass myself either. After doing the math, to complete the race under the cutoff I would need to average slightly over 17 min/mile. I believe that is doable in 25 weeks. I am going to approach the training in a very realistic manner and be very honest with myself as I go. My friend has a solid track record of training hybrid strength and endurance athletes so will be giving his programming (END|Strength™) a go for a while. He is an animal.

Here is a full bio for anyone interested but the highlights include:

- completed the Beach 2 Battleship Half IronMan Triathlon in 6 hours and the following day Squatted 505lbs and Deadlifted 565lbs.

- completing the first annual 106º West Triathlon in Dillon, CO. At 10,000 plus ft, the 106 West is the highest elevation half iron distance triathlon in the World. Further proving the END|Strength methods, two days after the race, Tony squatted 505lbs and Deadlifted 505lbs for 6 reps.

- On April 9th, 2016 Tony squatted 600lbs, Deadlifted 600lbs and ran a sub-six minute mile (5:41), making him one of the very few who have completed The 666 Challenge… and the only man over 40 years old to.

Needless to say he is qualified to help me program for this attempt; hopefully without sacrificing too much in terms of strength.

• Stu, Pops, BeachBuckeye and 1 other like this

#10 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:29 PM

Hell yeah he is! That's awesome stuff.

That sounds much better than the "hold my beer" training program that I perfected.

Kick it in the ass, Virtus!

Can't wait to tag along for the ride

#11 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:43 PM

Wait...I'm reading this dude's bio...this BMF is your friend?!?

Dude, you'd be a dumbass if you DIDN'T take advantage of the opportunity!!

This should be epic..

#12 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

Wait...I'm reading this dude's bio...this BMF is your friend?!?

Dude, you'd be a dumbass if you DIDN'T take advantage of the opportunity!!

This should be epic..

More of a good acquaintance, he owned the Crossfit gym I belonged to for many years when I first got into fitness, but I've known him for a long time. He's called me on my bullshit on more than 1 occasion.

#13 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:40 PM

Looks unreal! Great opportunity. Get after it!!

"Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert physically strong and morally straight and will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be 100% and then some."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#14 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:25 PM

Good luck Virtus! Go get it!

#15 Hillside Honey Badger

Hillside Honey Badger

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:47 AM

Great idea, and you're friend looks like a good guy to have on your side! Looking forward to seeing you progress through this in the logs. Interested to know if you're you going to keep up the hockey, or put that on the back burner for a bit??

Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball

#16 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

Beginning September I will be backing off hockey to two days a week, Sundays and Mondays. My plan is going to have long runs on Sunday and a rest day on Monday. I think that this will be sustainable until the long runs get to the 12-15+ mile range. I feel there will be a lot of discovery along the way; will make changes and add rest days as needed.

• Pops, BeachBuckeye and danduerksen like this

#17 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,693 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:28 PM

Something tells me that Virtus has seen himself cross that finish line....

V for Vengeance ? :ph34r:

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#18 Hillside Honey Badger

Hillside Honey Badger

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

Beginning September I will be backing off hockey to two days a week, Sundays and Mondays. My plan is going to have long runs on Sunday and a rest day on Monday. I think that this will be sustainable until the long runs get to the 12-15+ mile range. I feel there will be a lot of discovery along the way; will make changes and add rest days as needed.

Sounds like a plan. As long as you listen to your body and don't burn out you'll smash it 👍
  • UKoldguy likes this

Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball

#19 Basement_dweller

Basement_dweller

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

Though I don't condone backing off hockey...this looks legit. Go get it. 

• Virtus likes this

#20 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:35 PM

Though I don't condone backing off hockey...this looks legit. Go get it. 

I was going to lose a day regardless after this month. Our time slot on Thursday isn't available anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users