Photo

First OMOB workout, and I now hate EMOMS...in a good way :-)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikhou

mikhou

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:53 AM

Just thought that I would chime in here.  I've been running Tactical Barbell for the last couple of years, and it is a tremendous program.  However, a couple of months ago I purchased OMOB just to consider something different.  Even after purchasing it, I didn't start it right away because it was hard to move away from something that works (TB).  But I finally talked myself into trying something different (OMOB) because I've always done full-body work in some form or fashion, and I've never tried something like OMOB that does a compound movement once/week.  (I did run the full body version of 5/3/1, but again that allows for full-body work 3x/wk.)  Another factor that convinced me to try OMOB is that I follow Brian Alsruhe's youtube channel and he recently introduced a "powerbuilding" program, and I thought, "Well, if it works for Brian Alsruhe..."  As I began to put pen to paper to map something out similar to Brian's powerbuilding program, I realized that what I was putting together looked an awful lot like OMOB (not that Brian's program = OMOB, but as I was putting something together I realized that what I wanted out of it looked liked OMOB).  So....long story to say that here I am.  So here's my plan on how I want to run it.  I want to run an 8-day "week" that looks like this.  (BTW, I have a garage gym so running an 8-day week is pretty easy to accomplish.)

Day 1 - SQ, SQ EMOM, Barbell programmer

Day 2 - TB2 conditioning

Day 3 - BP, BP EMOM, barbell rows, farmer's walks

Day 4 - Rest

Day 5 - DL, DL EMOM, Barbell programmer

Day 6 - TB2 conditioning

Day 7 - OHP, OHP EMOM, chin-ups, KB swings

Day 8 - rest

And today was the first day of squats.  I consider myself to be in pretty good shape, but even at 60% the SQ EMOM smoked me.  In fact, toward the end, I was doing 2 reps/minute instead of the programmed 4.  I'm assuming that this is a work capacity issue that I'll grow into over time.  Anyway, I always finish what I start so I'm sticking to this for a couple of cycles to see how it goes.  If it doesn't work for me, I'll go back to TB.  If it does, then I can see this really improving my work capacity and (hopefully) my strength.  And if it does work, I can see myself utilizing this and TB in an alternating type fashion every few months in the future.  We'll see what happens.

• Stu, Pops and Virtus like this

#2 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

Solid work mikhou!

The squat EMOMs were by far the hardest part of the program in my opinion. I ended up halving the number of rounds (5x4, 6x3, 8x2) because I was having 2-3 days of DOMS that was negatively impacting my other workouts and playing hockey. I still hit a squat PR with the reduced EMOMs so something to consider. 

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." 

The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

#3 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

Love the 8 day week. I'm going to have to look through my tb2 book and see what I can pull out of it for conditioning. Looks like you have a solid plan mapped out. I might even borrow it after I'm done with my current cycle.

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#4 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 5,555 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:21 AM

Hey there mikhou, love that eight day plan. Cant wait to see it play out.

Squat EMOM's are brutal, and a thing of beauty, lol

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#5 mikhou

mikhou

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:29 AM

So yesterday, during the day, after my first OMOB workout with an EMOM session my legs were pretty sore (especially in the hamstrings).  That being said, I'm surprised that a day later, my legs feel pretty good.  I'll be getting in a TB2 conditioning workout today and then I'll do a BP workout tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind words, fellas, and it's encouraging to know that SQ EMOMs might be the hardest.  That's encouraging!  I've also been using an 8-day cycle with TB, and it works really well for me.  At 44yo, it's nice to have an extra recovery day in the week.  I'm thankful to have a home gym as trying to do an 8-day week in a commercial gym would be difficult on the weekends.

• Stu, Pops and Virtus like this

#6 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

Wouldn't mind seeing a pic or two of that home gym of yours, (when you get the chance). Show us what your working with, we absolutely love home home gyms around here, lol.

My approach to the squat DOM's this go-round is to lighten the weights and up the frequency via supper sets, and slowly bring the weights up to a more challenging level. Right now, it fits my goals and needs and keeps it fun for me. Truth be told, I've been struggling to keep up momentum lately but getting back on track, (motivated by this crew) and having fun with it. You appear to be highly focused and motivated and I truly hope that OMOB suits you in the ways that TB does. I don't have the experience or the knowledge that the others here have, but, I am truly interested to see you adapt and overcome. The power of these logs is not to be underestimated.

#7 mikhou

mikhou

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:31 PM

Wouldn't mind seeing a pic or two of that home gym of yours, (when you get the chance). Show us what your working with, we absolutely love home home gyms around here, lol.

I'll see what I can do about getting a pic posted in my log.  It's not much, but it does what I need.  Right now it consists of a homemade rack, bar, weights, adjustable (spinlock) dumbbells that I pretty much only use for farmer's walks anymore, bench, kettlebell, and an ab roller.  I'm pretty low tech when it comes to equipment.  I'm actually an American who lives and works overseas in Central Asia in the humanitarian aid sector, but I'll be going back to the States for about 6 months later this year, and I've already found a steal of a deal on Craigslist and some family there is holding into it for me until I get back. 

• Pops and danduerksen like this

#8 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

Sounds fantastic. I work with a homemade power rack with a couple of crusty old bars one of which is bent, which is my favorite one LOL. A few other accessories but not many. More than enough to keep me going. Your work sounds both interesting and fulfilling. Hope all is safe over there, see you in the logs.

#9 mikhou

mikhou

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

Stu, pics are in the YOUR Garage Gym section.  Here's the link:

http://www.eo3rallyp...khous-home-gym/

• Virtus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic