21 replies to this topic

#1 mikhou

mikhou

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:27 AM

I don't know if I'll keep a log up over here because I'm active on the TB forums, but since this is my first cycle through OMOB, I thought I would give it a shot.  By way of introduction, I posted this in another topic:

I've been running Tactical Barbell for the last couple of years, and it is a tremendous program.  However, a couple of months ago I purchased OMOB just to consider something different.  Even after purchasing it, I didn't start it right away because it was hard to move away from something that works (TB).  But I finally talked myself into trying something different (OMOB) because I've always done full-body work in some form or fashion, and I've never tried something like OMOB that does a compound movement once/week.  (I did run the full body version of 5/3/1, but again that allows for full-body work 3x/wk.)  Another factor that convinced me to try OMOB is that I follow Brian Alsruhe's youtube channel and he recently introduced a "powerbuilding" program, and I thought, "Well, if it works for Brian Alsruhe..."  As I began to put pen to paper to map something out similar to Brian's powerbuilding program, I realized that what I was putting together looked an awful lot like OMOB (not that Brian's program = OMOB, but as I was putting something together I realized that what I wanted out of it looked liked OMOB).  So....long story to say that here I am.  So here's my plan on how I want to run it.  I want to run an 8-day "week" that looks like this.  (BTW, I have a garage gym so running an 8-day week is pretty easy to accomplish.)

Day 1 - SQ, SQ EMOM, Barbell programmer

Day 2 - TB2 conditioning

Day 3 - BP, BP EMOM, barbell rows, farmer's walks

Day 4 - Rest

Day 5 - DL, DL EMOM, Barbell programmer

Day 6 - TB2 conditioning

Day 7 - OHP, OHP EMOM, chin-ups, KB swings

Day 8 - rest

I've always been an athlete, but I've never been a very strong guy.  At 44yo, 5'5", and 140 lbs (64 kg), here are my estimated 1RM's:

SQ - 127 kg (279 lbs)

BP - 96 kg (211 lbs)

DL - 127 kg (279 lbs) - My DL is my weakest lift in proportion to others and what I would expect it to be.

OHP - 60 kg (132 lbs)

My next goals are:  SQ and DL - 140 kg, BP - 100 kg, and OHP 64 kg.  I'm hoping that OMOB is the tool to get me there.

• Stu, Pops, aidaes16 and 2 others like this

#2 mikhou

mikhou

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:36 AM

Yesterday

SQ - 4 @ 76.5, 88.8, 95.5, 107.7 kg

SQ EMOM - 4 @ 76.5 kg for 10 minutes

Barbell programmer - AMRAP for 15 minutes - 7 barbell good mornings, 60 meter sprint, 16 sit-ups

The EMOM kicked my tail.  So much so that near the end, I was only getting in 2 reps per minute.  If nothing else, I anticipate OMOB building my work capacity.

Today

Conditioning workout from TB2 - HIC #11.  Oxygen Debt 101

• Stu, Pops, Virtus and 1 other like this

#3 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

I like it mikhou, solid first day! Squat EMOMs are TOUGH...

Here's my vote hoping you continue a log here.

• russwoody likes this

Fac, si facis  Do it if you're going to do it.

#4 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

Here's my vote hoping you continue a log here.

+1. You're plan intrigued me and sounds very practical & comprehensive. It's somewhat beyond me anymore, but that doesn't keep me from living vicariously through you guys!

My hope is that it's practical for you to continue to log here as you share both your successes and your failures.

Looking forward to learning..

Good work!

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#5 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,867 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:40 PM

Welcome mikhou, very excited to follow your progress and I look forward to learning from you. Glad you started up a log. The efforts and accomplishments of the folks here are highly motivating and inspiring.

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#6 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:55 PM

Same as above. Your plan got me to look more into my tb2 book. Lots of thinking and re-planning to do.

• Virtus likes this

"Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert physically strong and morally straight and will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be 100% and then some."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#7 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

Same as above. Your plan got me to look more into my tb2 book. Lots of thinking and re-planning to do.

I need to read that again. It is one of the best books on conditioning I've ever read.

#8 mikhou

mikhou

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

BP - 4 @ 57.6, 67.2, 72, and 81.5 kg

BP EMOM - 4 @ 57.6 kg for 10 minutes

Barbell rows - 8 @ 52.7 kg, 6 @ 60.5 kg, 4 @ 68.7 kg

Farmer's walks - 2 rounds of 100 yards each with 24 kg db's in each hand

The BP EMOM wasn't nearly as difficult as the SQ EMOM on Day 1.

#9 mikhou

mikhou

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:12 AM

In a different post, Stu asked for pics of my home gym.  I took some pics and posted them in the YOUR Garage Gym section under mikhou's home gym.  Here's the link if you are interested.

http://www.eo3rallyp...khous-home-gym/

• Stu, Pops and Virtus like this

#10 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

Simple and effective. I like it!

#11 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

Looks fantabulous! I know you love it. Do you have a name for your slice of heaven? Gotta have a name, lol.

Bench and OHP EMOM's trend to feel too light at first, yet, they still seem to do the trick. You could deploy the money maker or superset.
  • danduerksen likes this

#12 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:32 PM

Was going to say the same as Stu. First week weights make you think you started too light... it'll catch up to you in the end.

• Stu likes this

"Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert physically strong and morally straight and will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be 100% and then some."

#13 mikhou

mikhou

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:02 AM

DL - 4 @ 78.7, 91.5, 97.7, 111.5 kg

DL EMOM - 4 @ 78.7 kg for 10 minutes

Barbell programmer - AMRAP for 15 minutes - 6 barbell good mornings, 13 jumping lunges, 20 ab fallouts

Again, I consider myself to be in pretty good shape, but the SQ and DL EMOMs are getting the best of me.  Today in the DL EMOM I was able to get 4 reps for 5 rounds, and then 2, 3, 2, 2, 2 reps.  It's not the strength that gives out, but it's the wind and the grip.  And 20 ab rollouts is nothing to sneeze at.  I was only able to get 3 rounds done in 15 minutes.  If nothing else, this program is really going to improve my work capacity.

• VidaMD, Stu, Pops and 1 other like this

#14 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

Good work mikhou!

#15 mikhou

mikhou

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:17 AM

TB2 - HIC #23.  Meat Eater III

#16 mikhou

mikhou

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:31 AM

OHP - 4 @ 34.9, 40.5, 43.7, 48.7 kg

OHP EMOM - 4 @ 34.9 kg for 10 minutes

Chin-ups - 4 @ 64 (bw), 64, 67.8 kg; AMRAP'd the last set 8 @ 72.4 kg

KB swings - 100 reps @ 18kg (50, 30, 20)

Before OMOB, on TB I was steadily increasing my training max every 4 weeks so I started OMOB with those training maxes.  I had just reset OHP so it's running a little lower than the others.  The workout today wasn't too tough except for the fact that yesterday in my conditioning work, I did some dumbbell clean and presses.  They weren't overly heavy, but it resulted in feeling the OHP EMOM a bit today.  I should probably pay more attention to the upcoming strength workout and adjust my conditioning accordingly.  Also, I have decided to use the OMOB percentages for my accessory work (barbell rows and chins) and then AMRAP the last set ala Money Maker.  

• Stu, steviesch, Pops and 1 other like this

#17 XFITM

XFITM

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:27 AM

Hey mikhou, 

How your OMOB experience is going so far ? I saw your name here and on the TB forum.

I've been doing TB black + operator for over a year now but I wanted to try something else. Not that it's not good, but a little bit for the same reason as you. Changing my rep scheme. Also I bought this program while ago but never tried it because I discovered TB through this forum.

I was planning to start OMOB V1 this weekend (I retestest my maxes yesterday). But I wanted to try the 2016 update. My reasoning behind that, is that it will target the same muscle 2 times in a week instead of one. Also I'll incorporate some accessory work.

For conditioning I wasn't sure how I would program it, but I think you inspired me with your setup. I want to improving my running, so I will incorporate TB2 running HIC with Barbell Programmer in between.

#18 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:22 PM

Hey mikhou, 

How your OMOB experience is going so far ? I saw your name here and on the TB forum.

I've been doing TB black + operator for over a year now but I wanted to try something else. Not that it's not good, but a little bit for the same reason as you. Changing my rep scheme. Also I bought this program while ago but never tried it because I discovered TB through this forum.

I was planning to start OMOB V1 this weekend (I retestest my maxes yesterday). But I wanted to try the 2016 update. My reasoning behind that, is that it will target the same muscle 2 times in a week instead of one. Also I'll incorporate some accessory work.

For conditioning I wasn't sure how I would program it, but I think you inspired me with your setup. I want to improving my running, so I will incorporate TB2 running HIC with Barbell Programmer in between.

I'll rudely interject here... after playing with omob for most of this year and all the talk in this forum about tb I formulated a program that incorporates a little of both, but geared more toward regaining some of my lost conditioning. It's still a work in progress and I'm making some changes on the fly. And honestly I've only been able to complete a few of the endurance workouts I had planned due to life, weather, and stuff. But if you're interested I copied a link to my current calendar below.

Endurance workouts are planned to straight forward runs or rucks.

Strength endurance rotates through a 500 swing kb workout, a kb complex, a barbell complex, and a strength endurance wod.

Max strength workouts are 3 movement clusters using 4 main lifts. OMOB main set and emom. OMOB secondary set and half emom. TB percentage set. Scatter in accessory and bodyweight movements. Any strength program would work on these days.

HIC workouts are straight out of the tb conditioning manual.

With so much to fit into a week I'm working an 8 day "week" for base building and a 9 day 'week" for the rest of the cycle. I've spent way to much time tinkering with it. Hope it can help you decide what you want to do. 

https://www.dropbox....andar.xlsx?dl=0

#19 XFITM

XFITM

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:45 AM

I'll rudely interject here... after playing with omob for most of this year and all the talk in this forum about tb I formulated a program that incorporates a little of both, but geared more toward regaining some of my lost conditioning. It's still a work in progress and I'm making some changes on the fly. And honestly I've only been able to complete a few of the endurance workouts I had planned due to life, weather, and stuff. But if you're interested I copied a link to my current calendar below.

Endurance workouts are planned to straight forward runs or rucks.

Strength endurance rotates through a 500 swing kb workout, a kb complex, a barbell complex, and a strength endurance wod.

Max strength workouts are 3 movement clusters using 4 main lifts. OMOB main set and emom. OMOB secondary set and half emom. TB percentage set. Scatter in accessory and bodyweight movements. Any strength program would work on these days.

HIC workouts are straight out of the tb conditioning manual.

With so much to fit into a week I'm working an 8 day "week" for base building and a 9 day 'week" for the rest of the cycle. I've spent way to much time tinkering with it. Hope it can help you decide what you want to do. 

https://www.dropbox....andar.xlsx?dl=0

Wow, it's really impressive how much planning you did. I almost only plan a cycle or two in advance.

I was wondering how you designed it. Because it seems to that you're trying to improve a lot of different things at the same time. I don't know your work capacity so I can't really say, but usually TB protocol are design to choose between long E or more shorter HIC. They do a base building like you did, to improve the E component and after that we move to Black or Green but you seem to have mixed them together. 

I'm interested in learning more to program my workouts so is there any principle you followed so I could understand more  ?

I saw that you did half marathon, so you would be more a Green Protocol, so less HIC and more E and SE. I leaning more to a Black because I want to improve on my 5k. But I'm always interested to learn more about designing program, so I'm looking forward to know more about it.

#20 russwoody

russwoody

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

That's very solid 1RM's for your weight dude..... 'not a strong guy' ? oh stop fishing!

Good work man. And, welcome. 

• Stu likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users