Photo

Pairing working sets of one compound exercise with EMOMs of another. Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikhou

mikhou

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:10 PM

I'm just curious if any of you have ever thought about pairing compound movements as follows:

Day 1 - SQ working sets / DL EMOM's

Day 2 - BP working sets / OHP EMOM's

Day 3 - DL working sets / SQ EMOM's

Day 4 - OHP working sets / BP EMOM's

I'm going to finish this cycle as written, and I'll probably keep going as written.  But I just wondered if this might be a way to have increased frequency per lift, but keep the volume manageable.  I only thought of this as I just came from a program with higher frequency.  Thoughts?

• Pops, Ahomasmip, Nikaclmali and 4 others like this

#2 Basement_dweller

Basement_dweller

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:14 PM

Similar to 5/3/1 boring but big to offset with the other lift. I enjoyed that when I did it. it was 5 x 10 but Bench working sets and OHP assistance. can even do incline bench vs flat, behind the neck press, or other variations of the assitance lifts/ EMOMs

#3 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

As the King of the "Hold My Beer" training technique, I can tell you that it worked well for me on BBB. And, I often did the assistance lift in an EMOM fashion. I liked it and it worked for me but I'm sure someone might have evidence that it gives you ball cancer and makes your pecker shrivel, so take it for what it's worth.

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#4 mikhou

mikhou

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

As the King of the "Hold My Beer" training technique, I can tell you that it worked well for me on BBB. And, I often did the assistance lift in an EMOM fashion. I liked it and it worked for me but I'm sure someone might have evidence that it gives you ball cancer and makes your pecker shrivel, so take it for what it's worth.

Pops, you literally made me laugh out loud!

• Pops and UKoldguy like this

#5 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

I just finished running a omob modified split for a couple cycles. Took the idea from the accessory split update, but instead of accessory work I created a split with the main lifts and used omob percentages and emom principles.

ex: deadlift w/press

• deadlift omob working sets (as written)
  • deadlift omob emom (as written)
  • press omob working sets (first 3 sets only)
  • press emom (5:00 only)

Push and pull type stuff. Worked great to increase frequency. Worked great for strength and muscle endurance. After 2 cycles was a little too much volume and I'm feeling burnt out. Now I'm working on using the same idea, but less volume and frequency mixed with more endurance and se methods from tb2. I think this ability to modify is where omob has the greatest advantage over other programs.

• UKoldguy and Basement_dweller like this

"Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert physically strong and morally straight and will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be 100% and then some."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#6 XFITM

XFITM

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:40 AM

I'm thinking of doing something similar.

I've started 2016 update but the squat emom + deadlift emom + accessories day is really challenging.

I'm thinking switching to
1) squat OMOB + deadlift emom + accessories

And the other day

2) deadlift OMOB + squat emom + accessories.
  • UKoldguy likes this

#7 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:18 PM

I'm thinking of doing something similar.

I've started 2016 update but the squat emom + deadlift emom + accessories day is really challenging.

2 full length emoms in a single session would be pretty rough. I would split up deadlift and squats completely, and do deadlift with ohp and squats on their own day.

• UKoldguy and russwoody like this

"Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert physically strong and morally straight and will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be 100% and then some."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#8 XFITM

XFITM

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:38 PM

Yess it's pretty rough, that's why I 'll change it in the next cycle.

It was written like that in the update.

#9 russwoody

russwoody

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:06 PM

2 full length emoms in a single session would be pretty rough. I would split up deadlift and squats completely, and do deadlift with ohp and squats on their own day.

Ive done this the last couple of weeks on one of my days (2 full length emoms)... emom deadlifts followed by emom push press (followed by seated cable rows). I can honestly say, i feel fucked. The thought of doing emom deadlifts followed by emom squats would terrify me!

• danduerksen likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users