#1 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:41 PM

I've got a $100 gift card to a local sporting good store burning a hole in my pocket and I'm itching to get some new equipment. Here's are the options I'm trying to decide between. As always, I would appreciate your expert wisdom.

- 45# KB. Luckily my 35# KB is starting to feel light for a lot of things, and it seems like this would be a good add to the arsenal. It would cost about $80, and I could pass it on to my kids-kids. The downside - I don't do KB work regularly. Maybe a couple times per month.

-  Weight Vest. I've been thinking about investing in a weight vest for awhile. I'm not ready to do MURPH with a weight vest yet, but you've got to start somewhere. I have this idea of just wearing it as much as possible, definitely during bodyweight exercises. It would go up to 40# in increments of 5#. It would cost around $80.

-  New running shoes. These would cost between $80-$110, and I would use them multiple times per week. The downside would be that they would only last me 4-6 months.

Am I overlooking another piece of equipment? Opinions appreciated.

Also, this appeared before Dan's video of Alan Thrall that he sent me, so maybe I pick one of these up to and start blasting my jaw!  :lol:  :lol:

• Wendellkt, Ahomasmip, Nikaclmali and 7 others like this

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory - William Barclay

#2 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

$100 isn't all that much when it comes to all the toys you want. You'll make the right decision, but my thoughts...

I shop for shoes and usually find last years model on sale on Amazon. Then I pick up 2 pairs for about the same as a brand new pair of this years model. This works if you have a shoe you like and don't have that itch to try a different pair everytime. 

A kettlebell almost never loses value, and can be seen as a strong investment. For some reason this is what I keep buying even though I don't use them all that much. I've got an 8, 12, 16, 20 and 24kg. At some point I'll double up the 8-20, and then pick up a 32kg. I think this will be a major part of the inheritance I leave my kids. 

I still can't bring myself to get a weighted vest. I have a good backpack and almost 100# of old steel plates I can load it with (if it holds up) so I don't see the point.

Looks like that jawzrsize thing might be a good option. Especially if you can get one before you get shipped off to Australia. Looks highly portable and aircraft friendly. In all honesty I've almost pulled the trigger on one of these mouth pieces a couple of times. A chew piece might not be that crazy.

• BeachBuckeye likes this

"Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert physically strong and morally straight and will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be 100% and then some."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#3 russwoody

russwoody

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:04 PM

IMHO - I would go for the kettlebell. 

But, if you're not using it that much... then trainers. It sounds like you will need some soon anyway, if you're going through them that quick. 

Either way, nice dilemma to have. 

#4 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,075 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:15 PM

thoughts...

I think it totally depends on your usage.

I "get" the practicality of having a tangible asset vs one that is more "consumable".

Putting running shoes in this category is tricky but since it appears that running is a big part of your training regime it seems like it makes the most sense. Also, and I know i sound like a broken record, but as a 50 yr old with SHIT feet and Achilles, do NOT skimp on running shoes.

Have fun with this and report back!

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#5 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 950 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

Looks like that jawzrsize thing might be a good option. Especially if you can get one before you get shipped off to Australia. Looks highly portable and aircraft friendly. In all honesty I've almost pulled the trigger on one of these mouth pieces a couple of times. A chew piece might not be that crazy.

Just had a laugh, picturing people looking at me chomping on that stupid thing for a 14+ hour flight. LOL. I think they might have the cops on the runway when we land.

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory - William Barclay

#6 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,075 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:25 PM

Also, I skimped and got a cheap weighted vest at Academy a few years back and while I've gotten my fair share of use out of it, I sure wish I had a more streamilined, less bulky version. Mine is a pain in the ASS.

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#7 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,296 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

I say get your ass down to that store and spend it, fast. Dont look back. Dont over think it!

( I also always say that if too many people thought like me, the world would be mostly in flames :) )

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#8 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 950 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

I'm leaning shoes, because they are just so important. That new KB is really calling me though. I know I won't use it all the time, but being able to have it, and also the recognition that the 35# is getting light just feels good. I may have to just come out of pocket and get both.

• Stu, Pops and danduerksen like this

#9 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

I'm leaning shoes, because they are just so important. That new KB is really calling me though. I know I won't use it all the time, but being able to have it, and also the recognition that the 35# is getting light just feels good. I may have to just come out of pocket and get both.

DO IT!!! The shoes are a must whether you have a gc or not. At some point you're just going to have to get new shoes. The kettlebell is one of those splurge buys that won't lose value over time. Perfect gift card buy because you probably wouldn't buy it if you didn't have the disposable money. And, might motivate you to incorporate more kb work in the future. One man one kettlebell is a pretty good program.

• Pops and BeachBuckeye like this

"Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert physically strong and morally straight and will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be 100% and then some."

#10 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 950 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:12 PM

Decided to go for the shoes yesterday. Decided to go with the Reebok Crossfit Speed Trainer 2.0's. I really like these, and I'm only going to reserve them for running so they should last a bit longer.

Held off on getting the KB. So close to Christmas I'd feel guilty spending $100 on myself and not my family. Maybe I'll get lucky and get another gift card?  ;)

#11 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:56 PM

Held off on getting the KB. So close to Christmas I'd feel guilty spending $100 on myself and not my family. Maybe I'll get lucky and get another gift card?  ;)

:ph34r: That's why I go shopping by myself... things sometimes just magically appear in the box of my truck. I don't feel guilty about it at all considering how much money I spend on my family without ever knowing about it  :D

• VidaMD and BeachBuckeye like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users