5 replies to this topic

#1 FrankGallagher2017

FrankGallagher2017

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:15 PM

How would you use prilepin’s chart or calculate INOLs when you have similar exercises?

An example would be a front squat & a squat clean. It seems to me that the squat clean sets & reps should also count toward the INOL of the front squat considering you’re doing a front squat as part of the exercise.

Some similar situations:
squat snatch & OHS
front squat & OHS
back squat & front squat
etc…

• DwayneMus, Wendellkt, Magdasmive and 4 others like this

#2 UKoldguy

UKoldguy

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:53 PM

To be honest i would calculate each exercise as a stand alone and would no way compare them to another.

Squats cleans are taken from the floor so the main focus is olympic lifting where as  Front squat is racked out so more of a  power lift. each to its own would benifit the other but each should be taken as a stand alone exercise ( if that makes sense )

I can front squat 140 kgs but now way in this world could i squat clean that ,,maybe close to 105...

Same as a squat snatch which is caught low and then raised where as a OHS is probabltjerked into place and then lowered and raised.. Again each would benifit the other but still to different lifts..

The same goes for each of your pairing,,

tldr

Dont compare keep seperate 

My last word will probably be
"Whoops"
"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#3 FrankGallagher2017

FrankGallagher2017

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:09 PM

To be honest i would calculate each exercise as a stand alone and would no way compare them to another.

Squats cleans are taken from the floor so the main focus is olympic lifting where as  Front squat is racked out so more of a  power lift. each to its own would benifit the other but each should be taken as a stand alone exercise ( if that makes sense )

I can front squat 140 kgs but now way in this world could i squat clean that ,,maybe close to 105...

Same as a squat snatch which is caught low and then raised where as a OHS is probabltjerked into place and then lowered and raised.. Again each would benifit the other but still to different lifts..

tldr

Even in terms of weekly INOL?  Let's say we have a weekly INOL of 3 for the front squat.  If we then do a bunch of squat cleans, OHS, & squat snatch on top of it doesn't that seem like overtraining.  Thanks for your response.

#4 FrankGallagher2017

FrankGallagher2017

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:34 PM

tldr

I certainly understand that most people won't be able to squat clean as much as they can front squat, or OHS as much as they can front squat, etc... but wouldn't that just be the same as a lighter front squat?  Let's take your example of a 140kg front squat.  If you do 3x5 squat cleans @ 84kg that's 3x5 @ 60% of your front squat.  That would be an INOL of 0.38, which isn't a huge effect by itself, but if we already have a high weekly INOL from front squats alone (ex. 3) things can start to add up if we're doing squat cleans, OHS, & squat snatch multiple times per week, & you're doing thrusters 1-2x per week during conditioning WODs.

#5 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:24 PM

;) No such thing as over training... only under recovering...

So you are describing a scenario where you're already doing a lot of squats and Olympic lifts as part of your programming. Then you start thinking you're maxing out your squat INOL, and doing the Olympic lifts might put you over the edge. And then you do a couple conditioning wods that include thrusters. If your next week is really light on squats (maybe more emphasis on upper body) then this shouldn't be something to worry about. You get a week for recovery. If you're going week after week with squats and Olympic lifts and thrusters you're not going to get enough recovery time and your legs will probably burn out. Poor programming. And we don't need to calculate INOL to tell us that.

I agree with UK that you really shouldn't count a clean as a front squat. They're complimentary, but not the same. An overhead squat is not a snatch. And thrusters aren't overhead presses. If you want to get stronger you should concentrate on the main lifts, and use the complimenting lifts sparingly. If you want to get really good conditioning you'll drop the weights and volumes on the main lifts so you can use more accessory movements in your wods. Really have to be cognizant of what your goals are and how your programming is going to effect you reaching those goals.

• UKoldguy likes this

"Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert physically strong and morally straight and will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be 100% and then some."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#6 FrankGallagher2017

FrankGallagher2017

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:45 PM

;) No such thing as over training... only under recovering...

So you are describing a scenario where you're already doing a lot of squats and Olympic lifts as part of your programming. Then you start thinking you're maxing out your squat INOL, and doing the Olympic lifts might put you over the edge. And then you do a couple conditioning wods that include thrusters. If your next week is really light on squats (maybe more emphasis on upper body) then this shouldn't be something to worry about. You get a week for recovery. If you're going week after week with squats and Olympic lifts and thrusters you're not going to get enough recovery time and your legs will probably burn out. Poor programming. And we don't need to calculate INOL to tell us that.

I'll certainly never really have a week LIGHT on squat, but the next week might have a lower INOL & I do have a deload every 4th week.  As a crossfitter, my goals include both strength and conditioning, w/ a slight strength bias currently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users