#1 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

I found out on Christmas that my wife is pregnant with our first!

I can't even begin to explain the flood of emotions I've been feeling; just very excited and hoping that I will be a good dad. It's still early, she's only about 5.5 weeks along, and we have only told a few close friends and my Dad so far. First appointment isn't until the 25th of this month and waiting until after to tell anyone else.

I'm definitely feeling a mindset shift already. I'm hoping some of you veterans can give me some of that wisdom stuff.
  • VidaMD, Spartan Tough, Stu and 5 others like this

Fac, si facis  Do it if you're going to do it.

#2 UKoldguy

UKoldguy

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 2,704 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

Kids... you love them. they drive you mad. But you still love them.
Every thing will drop into place my friend. If you had good parents do what they did. If you had bad parents do the opposite to what they did.
You will figure it out as you go along mate.

Oh and congratulations
  • Stu and Virtus like this
My last word will probably be
"Whoops"
"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#3 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,655 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:06 PM

Congratulations!

I never knew fear until I became a dad. I thought I knew what it was but I didn't. By the same token, I never knew fulfillment until I became a dad. We try and balance discipline with love, keep our fingers crossed, and try and enjoy the ride. You will do well grasshopper, you will do well.
  • Virtus likes this

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#4 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,283 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:39 PM

I found out on Christmas that my wife is pregnant with our first!

I can't even begin to explain the flood of emotions I've been feeling; just very excited and hoping that I will be a good dad. It's still early, she's only about 5.5 weeks along, and we have only told a few close friends and my Dad so far. First appointment isn't until the 25th of this month and waiting until after to tell anyone else.

I'm definitely feeling a mindset shift already. I'm hoping some of you veterans can give me some of that wisdom stuff.

First of all, congratulations!

Being a dad has been and STILL IS the most incredible, intimidating, rewarding, thankless, humbling, in over my head experience.

UK & Stu tapped into it already...If you're "scared" then you get it and you'll be just fine!

There's much too much that could be said but in a nutshell, stay humble, stay resilient and stay determined but above all, stay committed!

• VidaMD and Virtus like this

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#5 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,135 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

:D I read that note and immediately had 2 thoughts:

1) Look at us! A bunch of misfits count as close friends!!! Don't know what that means about Virtus' social game, but I'll take it.  :P

2) Baby making explains the extended absence from the forum... back must be fine...

Sometimes congratulations isn't a big enough word. Babies are great (when they're sleeping). I've got 2 boys and have never known so much joy (so much aggravation) in my whole life. You'll figure it out. 99% is just being there and being present. The rest just kind of falls into place. Never use "bob" skates. And you have to let them fall on their ass every once in awhile... no point wrecking your back holding them up. I'm sure you'll be just fine as long as you don't freak out.

• Stu and Virtus like this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#6 Hillside Honey Badger

Hillside Honey Badger

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:58 PM

Congratulations man, that's great news. I've got a 6 and a 2 year old, and they are the best things that have ever happened to me. Funny, frustrating, loving and downright annoying, but never a dull moment. I echo what the guys said above. By being here, and reading your logs I'm pretty sure you're one of the good guys, so you'll do just fine.

Oh, and by the way, you will be tired. Soooooo tired. Also ,childbirth is a sight to behold. Sort of like a scene out of Alien, but you get to cut the cord and keep the alien. 

Funny story from my when our first child was born -  my daughter was minutes old, and they had recommended that skin to skin contact was very good for the baby i.e. helps to comfort it and settles it's heart rate etc. When the nurses were helping my wife clean up, I was asked to sit down and take my top off to hold my daughter. What a beautiful moment it was looking down at my first born. Right until her head turned slightly and she clamped her mouth round my big hairy nipple  :lol: . There is a scene on Family Guy when Peter Griffin tries to breast feed Stewie and anytime I think about that moment that is what pops into my head. 

Anyway, I digress. Fatherhood is awesome, and you'll do great!

• Stu, Pops, UKoldguy and 1 other like this

Semper Paratus - Always Ready

Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball

#7 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:14 PM

:lol:  At least she didn't have teeth...

• UKoldguy and Hillside Honey Badger like this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

#8 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm sensing a common theme among these responses that this will be the best and one of the most frustrating things I will ever go through, I'm definitely excited and nervous. I think the fears will become more real as we get further along; right now my naivety is keeping me calm.

As far as the birth goes we both know what to expect more or less. My wife used to work in Labor & Delivery at the hospital and I did several rotations there in Paramedic school and have delivered a baby in the back of an ambulance back in my EMS days. I know it will be different and infinitely more scary and emotional when it's my wife and child but at least it won't all be completely new.

I've already learned a few things:

1. Keep my nipples away from the baby. This post had me rolling Badger.

2. I now know that 'Bob' skates are a thing and should be avoided.

3. I realized that I do consider you great bunch of misfits as friends. Also not sure what this means about my social life Dan.

Just curious how life will change after the birth; besides much less sleep.... Any advice on maintaining some sort of fitness routine and keeping involved in hobbies? Should I expect to kiss most of that good bye for the first X amount of time or is there a balance that can be found there?

Keeping this enormous secret has been challenging to say the least so it really helps my sanity to have somewhere I can express thoughts and just talk about it.

Thanks again guys! 

• Pops and BeachBuckeye like this

#9 Hillside Honey Badger

Hillside Honey Badger

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:49 PM

With you and your wives background, the birth shouldn't be too much of a problem then. I'm sure she won't think that, but at least you both know what to expect!

There is definitely a balance to be found with keeping your fitness and hobbies going, but there will likely have to be trade off's as I'm sure you're aware. It'll be hardest in the first few months, but once the baby (hopefully) starts sleeping a little bit better things will become a little bit easier. Then you'll just get to the stage when everything is almost normal, and you'll decide to have another one lol.

There will definitely be missed workouts/games at some point, but sleep & recovery are also part of this jigsaw, so don't sweat that too much and end up running yourself into the ground.

If I remember correctly you've got a garage gym, so in theory you'll be able to keep going with the strength and conditioning a certain extent quite "easily". I'm sure you'll be able to keep the hobbies up as well, just maybe not as much as you would like at times!
  • Virtus likes this

Semper Paratus - Always Ready

Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball

#10 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

Yep, having a garage gym will be a great asset. Being able to slip into the garage for a 20 minute workout "whenever" you feel the need will become invaluable. I'm tied to a 5:30 opening time and at least 15 minutes round trip to the gym I use. This makes things incredibly inconvenient when the baby wakes up screaming bloody murder at 2:30 in the morning and then I lay awake for the next hour wondering if you remembered to start the dishwasher. That 5am alarm is too easy to shut off sometimes. But you'll adapt to a new routine just fine as long as you accept that not everything is written in stone, and it's not the end of the world if you miss a workout or two (because the baby is screaming bloody murder at 2:30 in the morning). Ye, life gets a little more interesting when you have to consider little people. 

• Virtus likes this

#11 UKoldguy

UKoldguy

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 2,704 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:27 PM

Grab 20 minutes if and when you can....

when the little one goes to sleep.

When the wife is breast feeding or just feeding.

Its going to be almost impossible to be consistant but just get it in when you can and as Dan says dont lose any sleep if you miss days..

You will get plenty of time in the next few years to make it up :)

• Stu, Virtus and BeachBuckeye like this
My last word will probably be
"Whoops"
"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#12 steviesch

steviesch

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

Congrats to both mum and dad and all the best to mini Virtus. Ours are coming up 25 and 22 - both still inspiring,enraging,funny,sad,energetic,lazy but also our friends. We enjoy each others company. Stay friends - I reckon that is the thing! And have in mind the words of English poet,Philip Larkin..."they fuck you up,your mum and dad, they may not mean to but they do. They give you all the faults they had,then some extra just for you!" You won't let it happen!

• Stu, Pops, Virtus and 1 other like this

#13 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

Congratulations! Definitely the best "job" you'll ever have. Put your wife and your baby first, and with that perspective everything else will fall in the place where it should. Just be flexible on yourself for awhile on the training. Good luck to you all.

• Virtus likes this

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory - William Barclay

#14 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for all of the responses. Still nervous but it seems as long as I make my family a priority then it will all work out in the end. Still hard to wrap my head around it all but I'm stoked.
  • Stu and BeachBuckeye like this

#15 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for all of the responses. Still nervous...

You've got a long long ways to go. About 18 years and 8 months. Hang in there. Buy stock in whatever is going to keep you sane...

#16 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,700 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:24 PM

Late to the party but CONGRATULATIONS!!

Not much I can add that the others haven't already said but here's this.  It's the only time I've been literally been shit on and laughed about it - yep, holding my sons feet in the air changing a diaper and that little bastard farted....  He's now 13 and I remind him that when I'm old, I plan to repay the favor.....

• Stu, Virtus and danduerksen like this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#17 Spartan Tough

Spartan Tough

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,279 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:14 AM

Congrats on the news. I have an 11 year old son and 8 year old daughter. Kids can and will drive you nuts, but are the greatest thing in the world.

Arooooo

• Stu and Pops like this
That which doesn't kill me....didn't try hard enough!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users