#21 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:50 PM

Thoughts on adding an "active recovery/mobility" activity?

Making the update now

• GalenZed likes this

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory - William Barclay

#22 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:04 PM

Okay update seems to be working fine. That's it for updates for a little while if that's okay for you all? Let's just use it for a few weeks and see what we don't love and I'll look to make some adjustments around March if everyone is still interested?

• Pops likes this

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory - William Barclay

#23 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,038 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:36 PM

Just to spark conversation.

Relative perceived effort... how relative? If we're talking bodyweight workouts Murph would probably rate pretty high, while a few sets of push-ups should be relatively easy. Then would you use the same scale across the board? Or could perceived effort be higher for mobility/stretching even if actual exertion level might be lower?

• BeachBuckeye likes this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#24 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, I'm a terrible judge of RPE. I figure if the effort resulted in an emission of blood, tears, vomit or shit then it has to be close to a 10! :D

But I understand the need for it as a metric, especially in these cases.  If it hurts THAT day, then RPE the shit out of it.

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#25 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:27 PM

IMO there's no good way to standardize the effort or strain of a workout across the board. For me, high volume deadlifts and squats just about kill me, but you seem to thrive with those. On the other hand, I can go out and run a 10k like I'm sniffing roses and it doesn't really bother me, but to others it might feel like they were run over by a truck.

I think the best thing is to handle it on an individual basis, and on a self report basis of perceived effort. I also believe, that being aware of your perceived effort and recording it on a regular basis will probably help dial in that gauge on an individual basis so that easy efforts are generally always reported as easy, and moderate efforts fall in the middle, and intense efforts fall in the upper realm of the scale.

It's the honor system, so just record to the best of your ability to gauge it how much effort you put out.

#26 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:07 PM

Kind of what I was getting at... but not quite.

I think we can all agree that doing standard workout type activities it's pretty easy to judge perceived effort. Just breaking a sweat might score in the middle. If your heart starts beating out of your chest it's going to be higher. And so on.

When doing activity that's naturally low impact (walking, stretching, etc) do you judge it on the same scale?

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

#27 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:09 PM

Damn, my juju must be creeping back because I'm suddenly out of likes!

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#28 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:01 PM

Same scale is good for me. I don't think this needs to be over complicated.

#29 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:24 PM

Dan, it looks like you crushed it. Nice job by Pops as well.

You guys have any interest in continuing this or should I retire it?

#30 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:19 PM

I'm open to whatever the consensus wants to do.

If you guys decide to keep doing it, then I'll make a better effort to be diligent in recording my entries.

If you decide to retire it for a while, then it's certainly served it's purpose.

#31 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:57 PM

I actually like this idea. I just didn't have the discipline. I feel like I am back in the swing so Hope to come back to this soon.
  • Pops and BeachBuckeye like this

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#32 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:44 AM

I'm open to whatever the consensus wants to do.

If you guys decide to keep doing it, then I'll make a better effort to be diligent in recording my entries.

If you decide to retire it for a while, then it's certainly served it's purpose.

Let me know what you guys want to do? I can clear the decks and we can start clean again.

I had more time to think about Dan's question about putting different exercises on different scales, and I think I've understood his question properly. My thought on this is that each exercise is already on an 'Activity Value' scale. I kind of feel like this already moderates a level 9 Mobility session versus a level 9 Running session. They'll never match-up, unless of course, you do 4+ hours of mobility.

• Pops likes this

#33 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

Let me know what you guys want to do? I can clear the decks and we can start clean again.

I had more time to think about Dan's question about putting different exercises on different scales, and I think I've understood his question properly. My thought on this is that each exercise is already on an 'Activity Value' scale. I kind of feel like this already moderates a level 9 Mobility session versus a level 9 Running session. They'll never match-up, unless of course, you do 4+ hours of mobility.

It was just a weird thought I had. I would never compare mobility to something like a barbell workout, but marking a romwod warrior session as sub 5 rpe based on a single grading system didn't seem adequate to the amount of effort it actually requires. Or a 1rm attempt isn't the same sustained effort as completing a murph, but by definition should be a 10 on the rpe scale because you're giving it (should be) 100% to get that 1 rep. I had this sliding scale going in my head when looking at everything I was doing.

I liked the challenge. I didn't really change too much of what I've been doing. Got a few kb sessions in that maybe I wouldn't have. My sliding effort scale probably gave me a few extra points in the end that could be debated. My reasoning is solid. I wasn't motivated by the final score, but felt keeping track there might have helped with a little extra accountability. A few times I did a bulk entry instead of a daily. We would have to really treat it as a competition before it would drastically change my patterns. Slow and steady can still do pretty decent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users