#21 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:50 PM

Thoughts on adding an "active recovery/mobility" activity?

Making the update now

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory - William Barclay

#22 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:04 PM

Okay update seems to be working fine. That's it for updates for a little while if that's okay for you all? Let's just use it for a few weeks and see what we don't love and I'll look to make some adjustments around March if everyone is still interested?

• Pops likes this

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory - William Barclay

#23 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:36 PM

Just to spark conversation.

Relative perceived effort... how relative? If we're talking bodyweight workouts Murph would probably rate pretty high, while a few sets of push-ups should be relatively easy. Then would you use the same scale across the board? Or could perceived effort be higher for mobility/stretching even if actual exertion level might be lower?

• BeachBuckeye likes this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#24 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, I'm a terrible judge of RPE. I figure if the effort resulted in an emission of blood, tears, vomit or shit then it has to be close to a 10! :D

But I understand the need for it as a metric, especially in these cases.  If it hurts THAT day, then RPE the shit out of it.

• BeachBuckeye likes this

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#25 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:27 PM

IMO there's no good way to standardize the effort or strain of a workout across the board. For me, high volume deadlifts and squats just about kill me, but you seem to thrive with those. On the other hand, I can go out and run a 10k like I'm sniffing roses and it doesn't really bother me, but to others it might feel like they were run over by a truck.

I think the best thing is to handle it on an individual basis, and on a self report basis of perceived effort. I also believe, that being aware of your perceived effort and recording it on a regular basis will probably help dial in that gauge on an individual basis so that easy efforts are generally always reported as easy, and moderate efforts fall in the middle, and intense efforts fall in the upper realm of the scale.

It's the honor system, so just record to the best of your ability to gauge it how much effort you put out.

#26 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:07 PM

Kind of what I was getting at... but not quite.

I think we can all agree that doing standard workout type activities it's pretty easy to judge perceived effort. Just breaking a sweat might score in the middle. If your heart starts beating out of your chest it's going to be higher. And so on.

When doing activity that's naturally low impact (walking, stretching, etc) do you judge it on the same scale?

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#27 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:09 PM

Damn, my juju must be creeping back because I'm suddenly out of likes!

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#28 BeachBuckeye

BeachBuckeye

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:01 PM

Same scale is good for me. I don't think this needs to be over complicated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users