7 replies to this topic

#1 NLgaragegym

NLgaragegym

Fitness Insurgent

• Moderators
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Canada

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

So a friend of mine was talking to me briefly today on what to eat after workouts.  He follows a traditional workout plan of lifting days and cardio days.  On lifting days, right after working out he eats a meal composed of 65% protein and 35% carb.  On cardio days, immediately after his workout he eats a meal consisting of 50% protein and 50% carb.  Anyways he kind of perked my interest with this topic so I decided to post it here to see what the masses have to say about it.  Please feel free to post up what works for you.  Thanks people!

#2 jpera149

jpera149

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNWI Indiana

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:11 PM

haha funny this came up. I was just listening to the newest episode of barbell shrugged today with Michelle Kinney and MIke Mcgoldrik and the topic came up of no carb type paleo vs some carbs that are clean in regard to training volume. They went into it pretty well and is worth the listen to on Itunes or watch the video on youtube. I drive a lot for work and barbell shrugged and wodcast podcast are always on in the truck!!

• 541 likes this

#3 NLgaragegym

NLgaragegym

Fitness Insurgent

• Moderators
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

I'm going to download those and give them a listen.  Anyone else want to chime in?

#4 Gentleman Gamer

Gentleman Gamer

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, AUS

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:53 AM

This one of the best articles I found a while back, there's a nice table about halfway down with a very simple break-down of the research studied, and the results.

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

Milk is my pre/intra/post workout food - I get my carbs/protein, it keeps me hydrated, it's super cheap, and I love the taste.

To be honest, I haven't stopped to really nail down this side of my training, and I don't even know if there is a need for me to do so. It's like many things in fitness, there's a ton of information, much of it conflicting, so I just simply don't sweat it.

~A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.~

Pooh Bear

#5 NLgaragegym

NLgaragegym

Fitness Insurgent

• Moderators
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

Milk is my pre/intra/post workout food - I get my carbs/protein, it keeps me hydrated, it's super cheap, and I love the taste.

Does lactose free milk have all the same added benefits as regular milk?

#6 Gentleman Gamer

Gentleman Gamer

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, AUS

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:59 AM

Nutritionally there is no difference between lactose free milk and regular milk. The only noticeable difference between the two is the taste, you'll find that lactose free milk is sweeter.

Regarding how they make it, the Lactase enzyme that is added to the milk which will react in the milk and completely break down the milk sugar(lactose), hence the sweeter taste as well. You can also buy the lactese in pill form, my wife does, and take it just before having a meal with a high lactose content.

~A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.~

Pooh Bear

#7 NLgaragegym

NLgaragegym

Fitness Insurgent

• Moderators
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

I've never heard of that pill before. I'm going to have to look into that. Thanks!

#8 BigChrisW

BigChrisW

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:35 AM

I stick to a traditional all-in-one type post-workout drink following strength sessions followed by food within an hour (usually breakfast as I train early morning), but for conditioning only I just wait until the next meal. Seems to work for me. I've been told that you only need to really zone in on post-workout recovery if you train twice a day, in which case the sooner you get some replenishment the better. Otherwise the overall content of your daily intake is more important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users