• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zgraham

Zgraham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

I'm completing my first cycle of OMOB and was wondering when I should retest my 1RM for my lifts? I know after the deload week we can increase the load by a maximum of 5 pounds, "unless that lift was tested at  more than a 5 pound increase." I'm curious when the appropriate time time to test would be. Thanks.

#2 541

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:59 AM

Try testing after your fourth cycle. Add your five pounds on each cycle. After four cycles you'll certainly have a 20 lb max increase which is huge, but I bet you'll have a higher than that.

Slow and steady with strength gains. They cannot be rushed. Good luck and keep doing your cycles! Be patient!
  • Jerred likes this

#3 Jerred

Jerred

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Try testing after your fourth cycle. Add your five pounds on each cycle. After four cycles you'll certainly have a 20 lb max increase which is huge, but I bet you'll have a higher than that.

Slow and steady with strength gains. They cannot be rushed. Good luck and keep doing your cycles! Be patient!

I agree! 

I only recommend immediate retests if you only plan to do OMOB for one cycle, but if you are in it for the long haul go with the above response. 

Personally, I have just put together a year's worth of OMOB that I plan on executing for the next 365 days (I'll be writing about this later.) 

#4 Zgraham

Zgraham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:37 PM

Copy that! Thanks for the replies.

#5 moberts

moberts

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:40 AM

I agree! 

I only recommend immediate retests if you only plan to do OMOB for one cycle, but if you are in it for the long haul go with the above response. 

Personally, I have just put together a year's worth of OMOB that I plan on executing for the next 365 days (I'll be writing about this later.) 

Hey.  My question on this topic is, if Im at the point where I want to retest when do I do it? Do wait till the end of the deload week (week 4) just before starting week 1 of the next cycle?

Thanks

*Edit*

And can I do all 1RM's on the same day? Basically im trying to work out if Id need to take an extra week after deload week to do 1RM's and the start the next cycle or could I say, do all 1RM's on saturday and start the first monday after deload week...

Thanks again.  

#6 moberts

moberts

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

*Bump* Anyone?

• Audrey Frazier likes this

#7 rtwofourv

rtwofourv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationShamong, NJ

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:56 AM

Moberts,

The way I re-tested my 1RM was after completing my de-load week.  Personally I tested all my 1RM on the same day for the lifts I completed in the cycle prior, but I'm not exactly positive if this is recommended.  When initially finding my 1RM for my first cycle, I did it this way so in my mind I wanted to stay consistent with how I felt during testing. I would advise if you were to test all of your 1RM in one session to take at least 1-2 days off before starting the next cycle of OMOB though.  I hope this helps a bit, hopefully Jerred can shed some light on the recommended 1RM testing so we both can know. 

"People of mediocre ability sometimes achieve outstanding success because they don't know when to quit. Most men succeed because they are determined to."

#8 Gentleman Gamer

Gentleman Gamer

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, AUS

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:03 AM

Moberts,

The way I re-tested my 1RM was after completing my de-load week.  Personally I tested all my 1RM on the same day for the lifts I completed in the cycle prior, but I'm not exactly positive if this is recommended.  When initially finding my 1RM for my first cycle, I did it this way so in my mind I wanted to stay consistent with how I felt during testing. I would advise if you were to test all of your 1RM in one session to take at least 1-2 days off before starting the next cycle of OMOB though.  I hope this helps a bit, hopefully Jerred can shed some light on the recommended 1RM testing so we both can know. 

Same here, except I actually test for my 1RM, have a short rest, and then I go into the scheduled lift for that day, eg. 1RM Deadlift test, rest, OMOB Deadlift session using the new max numbers. Also, since I have done 2 lift sessions for the day, I usually leave out the conditioning session, unless I feel that I'm still up for it....which doesn't happen often, because doing a proper 1RM test followed by a OMOB session for the same lift, will seriously fatigue and challenge you.

This is how I do it, I'd be curious to hear what Jerred thinks on this, and what he recommends.

~A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.~

Pooh Bear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users