#1 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

I'm really struggling getting through the EMOM's on back squat day.  My legs are shot by the time I hit 8:00 regardless of week.  I follow the Eo3 warmup and do 2-3 warm up sets before my working sets, I work out first thing in the morning hitting some BCAA's and a cup of coffee first.  My squat day comes after a complete day of rest, I eat before I go to bed.    Anybody run into this or have suggestions?

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#2 Jerred

Jerred

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 227 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:16 AM

Quick questions from me: Are you doing version 1 or version 2? And you are saying the weight is not too heavy, your legs are just too fatigued? 

#3 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

V1 on my second 4 week cycle.  4 lifts are C&J on Tuesday, Wed is a rest day, Squat on TH, OHP Friday, and Deadlfit on Saturday.  I also do the conditioning that came with the deluxe package but after OMOB.   On my first cycle I experienced the same situation but was waiting to see if they responded to the work.

I would say that it's fatigue, they don't seem to recover fast enough when I get towards the end.  My legs are definitely my weak link so it may just be a matter of building them up?  Is it wise to drop weight during the EMOM to finish the set?

Thanks

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#4 Jerred

Jerred

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:35 AM

It sounds like either muscular endurance or power. I have a hunch that it is power. This is something that will simply have to be built up, and you are actually doing that right now.

For instance, if you and I had the same back squat max and we both completed the EMOM work, but your were finishing reps in 5-7 seconds and I was taking 12-15 seconds, that would make you stronger and more powerful than me; despite completion of the EMOM by both of us at the same weight. 

My recommendation, use the prescribed weight for EMOM and focus on being as explosive and quick. The second you feel like you have lost your speed, despite fatigue, drop weight. Other things that may help would be 30:30 intervals with running or rowing and even some jump/plyo work. Creatine maybe able to help with this a little as well, either supplemented, or rather, naturally in your diet. 

#5 Gentleman Gamer

Gentleman Gamer

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, AUS

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:23 AM

Have you tried an evening workout?

Speaking from personal experience, I do my workouts between 6-9PM and I feel way better than when I have a morning session. I find that in the morning I'm too stiff, even after a thorough warm-up, compared to evenings. I also noticed that no matter how much rest I get during the night, I never feel as good in a morning session as I do in the evening and it's especially noticeable when I have to do any lower body movements... it feels like I cannot generate the same amount of power I get in the evening. I feel all around more limber in the evening than I do in the morning.

I would also second Creatine, you will notice the difference.

~A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.~

Pooh Bear

#6 541

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:28 AM

That's similar to my experience GG. I could metcon in the mornings no problem. Strength stuff though, I felt like I needed a couple meals under my belt first and then workout after noon.

Squats were/are an issue for me too. I now make sure they are the first thing I do in my week and it has helped a lot. Maybe trade your C&J day with squats? Even with creatine, I felt like the difference was working my biggest weakness (squats) first.

#7 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

Nights are tough for me, I have 2 school age children.  I made a commitment to them that my fitness pursuits wouldn't take away family time so I'm all in at 4:30AM!  I do usually get to bed around 9:00pm.

I will try creatine and switch up my days, see if that helps.  I'm currently starting wk 3 of my cycle so I'll really key in after my deload week.  I'll keep you posted.

After my 3rd full cycle, would it make sense to add in front squat and remove C&J?

#8 541

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:52 AM

For me, the C&J with squat, deadlift and press was too much. I added the C&J for accessory lifts or metcons, but for strength, it was too taxing. Felt like I was hitting the same muscles twice...and was.

Let us know what ends up working for you! Keep up the strong work!
  • kgood likes this

#9 moberts

moberts

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

Nights are tough for me, I have 2 school age children.  I made a commitment to them that my fitness pursuits wouldn't take away family time so I'm all in at 4:30AM!  I do usually get to bed around 9:00pm.

I will try creatine and switch up my days, see if that helps.  I'm currently starting wk 3 of my cycle so I'll really key in after my deload week.  I'll keep you posted.

After my 3rd full cycle, would it make sense to add in front squat and remove C&J?

VidaMD, you are the man! Just wanted to say that its inspirational to see someone stand up for their kids like that.  

• 541 and Gentleman Gamer like this

#10 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

VidaMD, you are the man! Just wanted to say that its inspirational to see someone stand up for their kids like that.  

Thank you, I really appreciate it.  As a working father, as most of us are, there is so little time to spend with our children, I just couldn't see shortening that.  My little girl is already getting "love" letters from boys.  AHHHHHH - she's 6!!!!  I may have to have a chat with that young man....;)

Update on progress, I'm on W2 V1 OMOB doing squat/bench/deadlift/ohp.  So far I've gotten through both the EMOM's not having the C&J in their, still pretty early but initial results are encouraging.  I will introduce creatine after my deload week, I don't want to introduce too many variables.  Thanks again, the support on this site is fantastic.

• kgood, 541, Pielips and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users