5 replies to this topic

#1 BigChrisW

BigChrisW

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:40 AM

I am in the process of losing fat - about 18lbs so far - but it seems to have stalled. I eat a 90% paleo diet though I do eat some dairy (yoghurt and whey).  I'm 6ft tall and weigh 245lbs. I eat approx. 2300 - 2400 kcal's a day.

I'm happy that what I'm doing is working but disappointed that I've hit a plateau. I tried coming off the diet for a few days and eating more calories but fat loss has stalled for a couple of weeks now. I'm not giving in because this is the point at which I usually give in, I can never seem to get past the 240lb mark without the weight loss stalling and me getting frustrated and giving up!

Training wise I'm doing OMOB (but only just finished week 1) including the OMOB conditioning. Is it possible that I've put on a little muscle?

My initial goal is to get to 224lb which I am hoping to do by the time we go on holiday on 31st July.

Anybody got any thoughts as to how I might get over this plateau?

Thanks, Chris

• Jerred and seaneagen like this

#2 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

Hey Chris, don't look at it as discouraging.  Fitness is a lifelong process of adjustments, enjoy the journey.  My thoughts on weightloss.  I run a bootcamp primarily made up of women, average age is 39 and most have had children.  When we started, they were extremely focused on the scale and there was lots of discussion on what that number means.  I finally convinced them it's irrelevant, they should be focused on dimensions.  I believe you are at this point, you most definitely are gaining muscle which will weigh more that fat.  It's likely that as your body is consuming fat for energy it's being replaced by muscle.  Take your measurements and monitor those, take some pictures with your shirt off and document the journey.

However, getting to your target number.  Rough numbers from what you provided, your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is 2K calories to maintain not including how much you work out.  You seem to be right in the ballpark with your intake so I would try cutting calories SLOWLY and see how you respond.  Everything is give and take though, cutting calories usually makes me feel like crap and I can't push as hard.  Just my thoughts.

Good luck.

• NLgaragegym likes this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#3 BigChrisW

BigChrisW

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the reply VidaMD, some good points there

#4 soultremor

soultremor

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

hey chris, I can't really give you advice per say on your stalling of pounds lost. What I can give you is another way of thinking about loosing weight all together. I know for some of us numbers mean everything. Try this instead, don't weigh yourself at all. Look at yourself instead. Take your shirt of get in front of a mirror. Now, don't get me wrong this can be a double edged sword, don't do what i'm sure millions of people do when standing in front of a mirror. They look at themselves and say, "Gross." What I challenge you to do is just say, "Ok this is where i am right now." Let sometime pass and do this all over again, and even do like VidaMD said, snap a pic or two that way you can compare. Just remember numbers are exactly that numbers they really don't mean much. The way you feel about yourself and how you feel day to day means so much more.

• Audrey Frazier and BigChrisW like this

#5 NLgaragegym

NLgaragegym

Fitness Insurgent

• Moderators
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Canada

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

hey chris, I can't really give you advice per say on your stalling of pounds lost. What I can give you is another way of thinking about loosing weight all together. I know for some of us numbers mean everything. Try this instead, don't weigh yourself at all. Look at yourself instead. Take your shirt of get in front of a mirror. Now, don't get me wrong this can be a double edged sword, don't do what i'm sure millions of people do when standing in front of a mirror. They look at themselves and say, "Gross." What I challenge you to do is just say, "Ok this is where i am right now." Let sometime pass and do this all over again, and even do like VidaMD said, snap a pic or two that way you can compare. Just remember numbers are exactly that numbers they really don't mean much. The way you feel about yourself and how you feel day to day means so much more.

This is great advice.  I was living by the scale a while back until a buddy of mine told me the exact same thing that soultremor just posted.  It's all about how we feel and look, not about the scale.  My opinion.

#6 BigChrisW

BigChrisW

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Back on the clean eaten this week after 3 weeks of junk. My body is crying out for some nutrition so I'm actually looking forward to it. I made some decisions whilst I was away to stop obsessing over what I was eating and try to build a more healthy relationship with food (i.e. stop worrying so much about every mouthful and give myself a break more often).

I'm good at 90% clean eating so I will focus on that and train hard, stop weighing myself and see where it takes me. Thanks for all the support and advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users