Photo

Pairing OMOB lifts with conditioning workouts.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cobalt60

cobalt60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:23 AM

Usually I follow my local Crossfit gyms WODs and have recently found and purchased OMOB, with the hope to try and improve my strength and target my own weaknesses.

I have a question on how to pair conditioning workouts with my days lifting? Should I be targeting the conditioning workouts on the same body parts as the lift, the alternate body part, or should it be full body conditioning?

For instance if my split/lifts were:
Mon: Lift- Squat Cond- Bench/Upper Body Movements?
Tue: Lift- Press Cond- Deadlift/Lower Body Movements?
Thur: Lift- Bench Cond- Squat/Upper Body Movements?
Fri: Lift- Deadlift Cond- Press/Lower Body Movements?

I hope that makes sense. I guess I am looking for a "recipe" for creating my conditioning work depending on what my main lift for the day is to both improve the overall effect and to stop myself from burning out.

Thanks,
Mark.

#2 BigChrisW

BigChrisW

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:33 AM

Hi Mark - I'm not sure what the correct answer is but I am using OMOB lifting and conditioning protocols. I don't consider the mix of the two at all, I just do my scheduled OMOB lifts (which for me is back squat, overhead press, deadlift, front squat), rest for a few minutes and then do whatever conditioning is programmed for that day. It's working well for me, I think, because I'm not over thinking it and just doing whatever needs to be done. It's deceptively simple but, so far, very effective. My strength is going up and I'm definitely in better shape.

Hope that helps....

#3 cobalt60

cobalt60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:54 AM

Cool, thanks for that. So you are doing your Lift, and EMOM, followed by the WOD posted on the Eo3 website or one from the OMOB conditioning PDF?

I thought that the WOD would be considered an "accessory" lift like in Wendler 531.

#4 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

Hi guys, I've run into the same problem.  For me it's constantly over thinking what I'm doing and how to pair everything perfectly.  I've done 5/3/1, OMOB and now I'm cycling a 6 week of CFSB (crossfit w/ strength bias).  With CFSB, I'm pairing that strength workout with the OMOB conditioning from the deluxe with little regard for "accessory lifting".  My goals are general and being harder to kill.  I know that's hoakie but as long as my lifts are going up and my baseline WOD's are improving I'm fine with it.  

When I was doing OMOB, I would do the EMOM along with the WOD from Eo3Fit or my local box regardless of what it was to eliminate cherry picking.

Good Luck

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#5 scarter2

scarter2

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

I would try to structure some type of balance with your workouts. The issue I usually see is people don't consider their condition into their overall lifting volume. If you're doing several rounds of bodyweight pushups, squats, and pullups then that volume needs to be accounted for when you're looking at your program as a whole.

I think its best to focus on whole body conditioning workouts, but be smart when choosing the movements that you do. If you're only deadlifting and squating for strength, don't only do bilateral leg movements for conditioning as well. Mix in some unilateral stuff also, and try to move in different planes too. So maybe some side lunges instead of just adding more body weight squats. 

The same goes for the upper body. If you're doing bench and overhead press for OMOB, then don't do a bunch more pushups and HSPU for conditioning. Mix up your presses and make sure you're getting plenty of pulling in too. Do your pullups, but really focus on getting some horizontal pulling in. If you have to do this after OMOB but before conditioning then do it. 

Day 1 of my week looks like this:

A1) Squat strength work (OMOB or 5/3/1), 

B1) Barbell Floor Press

B2) Side lunge

C1) TRX facepulls

C2) Loaded carries

D1) 5-10 minutes max of condition (low volume if any on pressing, lots of pulling and bodyweight movements for legs)

#6 Bxemt

Bxemt

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

crossfit endurance works for me

#7 cobalt60

cobalt60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

Ok, i might follow the Eo3 WODS then. Thanks for all the good replies guys.

#8 BigChrisW

BigChrisW

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

It's working for me to do the main lift, EMOM then conditioning from the OMOB PDF

#9 Gentleman Gamer

Gentleman Gamer

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, AUS

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:02 AM

Hi Mark - I'm not sure what the correct answer is but I am using OMOB lifting and conditioning protocols. I don't consider the mix of the two at all, I just do my scheduled OMOB lifts (which for me is back squat, overhead press, deadlift, front squat), rest for a few minutes and then do whatever conditioning is programmed for that day. It's working well for me, I think, because I'm not over thinking it and just doing whatever needs to be done. It's deceptively simple but, so far, very effective. My strength is going up and I'm definitely in better shape.

Hope that helps....

I do it the same way and I find it works great. However, in the 3rd week of OMOB when you're hitting your max, I sometimes have to shuffle the conditioning sessions around a little bit, mainly for safety and to get the most out of the session.

Quite a few of the conditioning sessions are either AMRAP or x Reps for Time, and if you consider that you have just completed the OMOB lift, hitting an already fatigued body part by trying to go for time/reps with a challenging weight is asking for trouble. Whilst there are a number of other factors I try to consider, safety is king.

• VidaMD and BigChrisW like this

~A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.~

Pooh Bear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users