12 replies to this topic

#1 moberts

moberts

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:30 AM

What do we reckon? I like OMOB but I find the EO3 WODS more diverse.  How much difference would I see between them? It is very simple just to follow the EO3 programming rather than determining whether 'todays wod' suits the strength training Ive just done..

Done this make sense to anyone? What are your thoughts?

• PalosDief likes this

#2 Gentleman Gamer

Gentleman Gamer

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, AUS

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

They would be very similar, IF you do the conditioning alongside OMOB. If you only do OMOB, you would see a big difference and probably get bored.

• DustoffDave likes this

~A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.~

Pooh Bear

#3 Jerred

Jerred

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:40 AM

I actually get this question in email often. I always say it depends on your goals. If you are looking for a solid strength and conditioning base with steady but gains, but not rapid - Eo3 WODs.

OMOB can pack on some serious strength and is a great program to come back to over and over, and the conditioning is great to repeat to actually see how much better you have gotten. 

I know a lot of people who do OMOB then cycle off to EO3, then get back to OMOB and that's actually kind of what I do. Currently I'm on like my 8th or 9th unbroken cycle of OMOB this year and will need a break soon. 

Next year's OMOB update will have a TON of conditioning workouts tailored to each lift you can do in the OMOB program. So you will have nearly endless options in OMOB conditioning soon. 

Hope that helps! I would love to hear some other chime in with their experiences too. 

• jpera149, Danny and DustoffDave like this

#4 jochen121

jochen121

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

thank you for your reply!

right now i exercise 4 days a week. after warm up i have the OMOB program for bench/press/squat/deadlift. after that i just use the wod and when i find enough time do some stretching. 

hope that helps!

jochen

#5 moberts

moberts

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:36 AM

I actually get this question in email often. I always say it depends on your goals. If you are looking for a solid strength and conditioning base with steady but gains, but not rapid - Eo3 WODs.

OMOB can pack on some serious strength and is a great program to come back to over and over, and the conditioning is great to repeat to actually see how much better you have gotten. 

I know a lot of people who do OMOB then cycle off to EO3, then get back to OMOB and that's actually kind of what I do. Currently I'm on like my 8th or 9th unbroken cycle of OMOB this year and will need a break soon. 

Next year's OMOB update will have a TON of conditioning workouts tailored to each lift you can do in the OMOB program. So you will have nearly endless options in OMOB conditioning soon. 

Hope that helps! I would love to hear some other chime in with their experiences too. 

Thanks everyone.  

Curious Jerred how often you change your lifts? I am eager to improve oly lifts but Im certainly not strong enough nor is my technique up to scratch.  

Previously, in my last cycle, I was doing Deads, squats, bench and press. 

In the "crossfit in 100words" routine is described as enemy.  How many cycles, if the case at all, would you do before we are looking at "enemy(ious)  :mellow:  routine"?

#6 Jerred

Jerred

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:23 AM

Thanks everyone.  

Curious Jerred how often you change your lifts? I am eager to improve oly lifts but Im certainly not strong enough nor is my technique up to scratch.  

Previously, in my last cycle, I was doing Deads, squats, bench and press. 

In the "crossfit in 100words" routine is described as enemy.  How many cycles, if the case at all, would you do before we are looking at "enemy(ious)  :mellow:  routine"?

I would focus more on goals as opposed to cycles. If you plateau or aren't hitting your goals then change things up. Routine CAN be the enemy, but often isn't in strength training. Constantly vary crossfit workouts, but constantly rotate strength programs and cycles. Hope that helps! 

#7 jpera149

jpera149

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNWI Indiana

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:31 AM

What I have been doing now for 4 cycles of OMOB is do my OMOB strength training Monday, Tuesday, Thurs, Friday, followed by the EO3 Conditioning workout. Wednesday I throw in some sort of active recovery such as cycling or yoga or rucking. Saturdays I test against a named Crossfit WOD and record my results to compare months down the road and Sundays take it kind of easy with the family with whatever we do. That could include a hike through the dunes or even just a few hour walk through the farmers markets.

Hope this helps answer your question

• Danny, BigChrisW and jochen121 like this

#8 Cooper

Cooper

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

I started about a week behind the WOD on EO3. I look at the conditioning for the week and plug my OMOB lifts into the strength training where ever I think it fits best. The Diversity of the EO3 conditioning is fun, but I think I will go back through the OMOB conditioning for another go. Looking forward to the updated conditioning for OMOB.

#9 Bxemt

Bxemt

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:59 AM

So I plan on using OMOB over the winter as it gets colder and I won't be outside as much because I want to build strength. I plan on following the program pretty close and trying to sneak in some extra running just cause I like doing intervals.

So I can consider the winter as my "off-season" and then when it warms up go back to my endurance training?

#10 mrjmdb

mrjmdb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hi Jerred

Thanks for putting all of this together.

I specifically bought your program because I was doing 531 and wanted to add WODs to the end of my workouts which were relevant to the lift I was doing that day. I actually thought that's what OMOB was, a strength program combined with WODs, so I was a bit surprised when I was reading it that the workouts are just 4 sets of the main lift and then EMOMs and then (worded specifically this way in the ebook) "the other stuff". Unfortunately for me, the other stuff is the main thing I was after. I don't want to do random stuff, I want WODs that relate specifically and scientifically to the main lift that day and ideally, that week or even cycle. Frankly I'd be pretty surprised if I'm unique in this way. Can you recommend some WODs that relate specifically to the big lifts? Is there a resource out there that does this? I'm Googling like crazy but can't seem to find this. What am I missing?

Thanks

Justin

#11 DustoffDave

DustoffDave

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationEastern Washington

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

I have found the doing the Eo3 WODs keeps me pretty tightly focused on my four main lifts (Bench,Dead, Squat, Press).   I do OMOB and Eo3 WODs mon. through thurs. which let's me move around the Friday and Saturday WODs to the next week if I think they fit in better (or shuffle other days as needed).  I do something different on Fridays, like go to the local rock gym, take the kayak out and paddle hard and fast, or swim followed by yoga.  I trail run with my dog on Saturdays (hard runs with lots of steep elevation changes and minimum distance of 4 miles).   I have found that this all gives me plenty of the "other stuff", but still sustains improvement on my main lifts.

• Stu likes this

There's no comfort in growth, and no growth in comfort.

#12 Jerred

Jerred

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:33 PM

Hi Jerred

Thanks for putting all of this together.

I specifically bought your program because I was doing 531 and wanted to add WODs to the end of my workouts which were relevant to the lift I was doing that day. I actually thought that's what OMOB was, a strength program combined with WODs, so I was a bit surprised when I was reading it that the workouts are just 4 sets of the main lift and then EMOMs and then (worded specifically this way in the ebook) "the other stuff". Unfortunately for me, the other stuff is the main thing I was after. I don't want to do random stuff, I want WODs that relate specifically and scientifically to the main lift that day and ideally, that week or even cycle. Frankly I'd be pretty surprised if I'm unique in this way. Can you recommend some WODs that relate specifically to the big lifts? Is there a resource out there that does this? I'm Googling like crazy but can't seem to find this. What am I missing?

Thanks

Justin

Hey Justin! 

The program was not made for only CrossFitters and that's why "the other stuff" is labeled as such. That way a cyclist or runner can add OMOB to their program. However, CrossFit has exploded in popularity since the release of the original One Man One Barbell conditioning guide.

But I understand your frustration, and that is what this year's update will include. Conditioning broken down by lift, to supplement rather than over-train.  

• DustoffDave likes this

#13 SofaKing

SofaKing

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:11 AM

Hey Justin! 

The program was not made for only CrossFitters and that's why "the other stuff" is labeled as such. That way a cyclist or runner can add OMOB to their program. However, CrossFit has exploded in popularity since the release of the original One Man One Barbell conditioning guide.

But I understand your frustration, and that is what this year's update will include. Conditioning broken down by lift, to supplement rather than over-train.  

Can't wait for this. I echo his desire for conditioning to go along with the specific lift I did so I do not over train. I didn't even see the EO3 wods until after I had purchased OMOB. I think that would completely satisfy me as well as I had hoped the conditioning portion would have me covered. 

• Jerred likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users