7 replies to this topic

#1 TFB

TFB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

Backyard gym: Thanks EO3 fitness for ideas and inspiration (i have a set of parallettes and two plyometric boxes using the second design that didnt make it into the pictures)

the power rack is the $320 one from amazon (also works great for swinging my little girl), and the plate rack is the $120 one from troy. i added some Lowes casters so it would roll around. bench is $50 from academy. i got the plates from craigslist (they are hi-temps). the black barbell is a rogue ohio bar. amazing. 

the swingset looking thing is a contraption i made to hold gymnastic rings, but it also holds my heavy bag, blue bomb grip training thingers, and is a great workout to do pullups, hanging, traversing, etc on the top pole. the inspiration for that came from Erwan LeCorre of MovNat. i did a 2 day training with movnat last year and loved every minute of it. MovNat, Ido Portal, and One Man One barbell make up my training regimen (along with combatives). It's about 9.5 ft to the top of the pole... my original goal was to be able to jump up to and grab the long pole, so i could do monkey stuff or hang or whatever... i still have at least 6" to go to grab it properly haha. 

The sled was made with scrap 2x4. those buckets are filled with concrete and weight about 108lbs each. I ended up getting a 106# kettlebell (the silver one), so now when i want to do farmer's carry i use the 106# and 80# kettlebell and alternate arms.... and save my thighs from huge bruises. 

I've got two sandbags - one being an old army surplus laundry bag that i have about 50lbs of trashbags filled with sand in, and the other is a vulcan strength brand with 85lbs of sand in it. it came with another small bag that weights 25 lbs but i cant fit the darn thing in the case, so for now it's just 85lbs. I've also got some slam balls (20, 30# from academy), a 25, 35, 50, 60, 80, 106# kettlebells, 40# weight vest that i re-sewed from academy), neck training rig from Rogue fitness, sled harness from rogue, forearm twister and rotator, ab wheel, and sparring equipment. 

I'm currently looking for a big tractor tire. 

since i got the majority of the ideas for my gym from the interwebs and EO3 DIY corner, i thought i'd share so others could potentially pick up some ideas. I love working out outside over lunch at home. It allows me to get metally tough from working out rain, cold or shine (so far this year coldest 13 degrees and snowing, hottest well over 100 degrees dry heat). I also love the benefit of being able to go home for lunch, put in an intense 30 minute workout using OMOB and metcons, and have my family there with me. the only thing i really miss from big gyms would be rowing machine or maybe a ski-erg (never used one, looks awesome). The weights and rack are under the porch overhang and are mostly out of the weather unless the wind is really blowing. 

cheers

-TFB

Attached Files

• krawler, BigChrisW, thriver and 2 others like this

#2 jochen121

jochen121

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:10 AM

nice gym!! have fun

#3 NLgaragegym

NLgaragegym

Fitness Insurgent

• Moderators
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Canada

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

That's a great looking gym!

#4 Jumper

Jumper

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:49 PM

Fantastic!
Does it hurt? Good. Get it done.

#5 jpera149

jpera149

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNWI Indiana

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:57 AM

I really like that sled man!!! Good use of scraps and looks tough as nails!! Looks like a great place to get that workout in!!! Keep it up!!

#6 Tomk

Tomk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:57 PM

Nice gym.
You said you combine omob with ido portal en combatives. Can you show us a example of youre routine's.
Im also trying to combine those, but im struggeling.

Thanks

#7 SofaKing

SofaKing

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

I have the same exact rack from Amazon. I love it. DId you ever consider building your own weight holder? I am debating between the stand up variety and one of the flat ones to hold plates side by side.

#8 DustoffDave

DustoffDave

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationEastern Washington

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:29 PM

Great looking gym!

• Jerred likes this

There's no comfort in growth, and no growth in comfort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users