10 replies to this topic

#1 theDonnybrook

theDonnybrook

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:41 PM

I am not a dedicated weight lifter, but I lift as cross training for speed skating.  My PRs are really more tied to speed skating, than anything.  My primary goal is to skate a fast inline marathon.  Fast, generally, is anything below 80 minutes.  As for my lifts, they are centered around the muscle groups that help with skating, but I also do some mixed stuff from Starting Strength, like OHPs, but also have added dips for a little upper body, too.

That said, current PRs:

Marathon skating:  85 minutes, set in June 2014

Dead Lift and Romanian Dead Lift:  235lbs x4, set in February 2014

Rear Squat:  180lbs x4 (basically body weight for me) set in February of 2014

My long term goals are to end off-season weight training in February with a DL of 250, I lifted 220 x6 yesterday, and squats of 200, lifted 170 yesterday.  Should be doable.  Focus this year is on power, too, which is keeping things interesting.

• Jumper, PalosDief, Samellamymn and 1 other like this

#2 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:24 PM

Looks like you should hit those without a problem!  I don't know anything about skating but your lifts should fall into your goals, good work.  Keep us posted.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#3 theDonnybrook

theDonnybrook

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:02 AM

On my quest for squatting 200, I racked and squated 185 2x6 tonight.  Solid lift overall.  Got 185lbs on Rear Squats, poliquin step ups, and split squats, followed by RDLs and DLs 2x6 at 235 (matched my prior PR) with KB swings at 62.5lbs 2x10.  Good lift.

• Bobby0, chuckl211 and Stu like this

#4 Jumper

Jumper

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:58 AM

Fantastic effort!
Does it hurt? Good. Get it done.

#5 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

Nice job!

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#6 DustoffDave

DustoffDave

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationEastern Washington

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

Awesome!  Keep up the good work.

There's no comfort in growth, and no growth in comfort.

#7 theDonnybrook

theDonnybrook

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:07 PM

After a bit of a plateau at 185 on my squats and 235 on my dead lifts, I went up weight last night.  Powered through 2x6 of deep rear squats at 190, also did Poliquin step ups and splits squats at that weight, and did 2x6 RDLs and DLs at 240, with 2x10 KB swings at 65 lbs.  RDLs felt particularly difficult at 240, but got it done.  Probably at this weight for another couple of weeks before moving up.  DLs felt like I could have pulled 250, but I am keeping everything together for the time being on lifts.  It makes this part of my schedule move fast.

• VidaMD, Bobby0, Jumper and 2 others like this

#8 Bobby0

Bobby0

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:02 PM

Keep at it!

-take the 10's off and do it Right

#9 Jumper

Jumper

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:34 PM

RDLs felt particularly difficult at 240, but got it done.

Love it!
Does it hurt? Good. Get it done.

#10 theDonnybrook

theDonnybrook

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

New squat and DL PRs after my lift on 3-3-15.  Did my maintenance lift as follows:  rear squats, Poliquin Step Ups, Split Squats 2x6 at 195; RDLs & DLs 2x6 at 245 with KB swings 2x10 at 67.5.

Getting deep in the rear squats and bouncing out of the hole was tough, so I stuck to hitting parallel.  RDLs felt solid, oddly enough, and the DLs were good, too, but went mixed grip with all of them as it is my default for heavy stuff.  I am not as sore as expected, but find that I have more spinal erector and trap/delt soreness than I have been expecting with these lifts lately.  I will probably be at this weight for a couple of weeks, but it puts me 5lbs off my goal weight for this cycle, which means I am within shouting distance of finishing base/build at target for weight training.  Need to get back to cardio, too, though.

• Jumper, thriver and Stu like this

#11 theDonnybrook

theDonnybrook

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

New squat and DL PRs after my lift on 3-23-15.  200 for the squats, 250 for the DLs.  Also did KB swings with 70.  I think that will max out the KB swings as the equipment doesn't feel like it will handle much more weight.  Made my goal for this training cycle, so not it is all about that marathon PR for the year.

• VidaMD, thriver and chuckl211 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users