• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shack

shack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:27 PM

Im about mid way through my first week of cycle 1, and so far it seems pretty easy.  Should I up my weight or just ride out the cycle and adjust after that?  I dont generally get really sore after lifting, but I at least feel it the next day.  So far with this, I havent really felt anything except for after deadlifts which was my highest max.  Any pointers?

#2 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:20 PM

Im about mid way through my first week of cycle 1, and so far it seems pretty easy.  Should I up my weight or just ride out the cycle and adjust after that?  I dont generally get really sore after lifting, but I at least feel it the next day.  So far with this, I havent really felt anything except for after deadlifts which was my highest max.  Any pointers?

Did you test your 1RM prior to starting cycle 1?  If yes, remember OMOB works off 90% of your 1RM so assuming all that, I would stay the course.  

• DustoffDave and chuckl211 like this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#3 Jumper

Jumper

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:52 PM

Agree, stay the course. No hurry, and even if it is a little on the light side it's a great way of prepping your body for what's to come...
  • VidaMD likes this
Does it hurt? Good. Get it done.

#4 Gentleman Gamer

Gentleman Gamer

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, AUS

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:46 AM

It comes down to how accurate your 1RM is, since the lift % are based of that, and also which version of OMOB you chose to go with. Version 1 has you calculating your % based on 90% of your 1RM, whilst in Version 2 you are going off your True Max 1RM.

As Jumper and Vida have suggested, finish this cycle and then test for your 1RM if you think you underestimated.

• VidaMD likes this

~A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.~

Pooh Bear

#5 Ebrown-711

Ebrown-711

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:42 AM

I'm having a similar problem. I'm in the first week of Cycle 1 and I find the first three working sets way too easy and then the fourth set difficult but I still have a rep or two left in the tank. Then with the EMOMs I'm not feeling worked at all. I'm pretty sure my maxes are accurate. Should I just stay the course as well or adjust the final working set and EMOMs according to the new templates in the update?

Also, I had a question about the percentages in the working sets. The final set is at like 85%, and I can hit the 3 required reps. Why does the plan call for dallying from 60% up all at 3 reps? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep all the working sets as heavy as near possible, maybe all a little closer to 85% than with a 25% disparity?

I don't have any experience in strength programming, and I don't want to argue with results, but I just don't understand the point of doing low weight sets at the same percentage of higher weight sets.

#6 Rob Cooksey

Rob Cooksey

Better Human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex, UK

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:07 PM

Id wait until week 3, and see how the final set it there. you could always apply the (+) method and just do as many reps in the final set.

either way come cycle 2/3 you'll soon find your max :) 

even after testing my 1RM i find its better to start a little lower any way.

• DustoffDave and Jumper like this

#7 chuckl211

chuckl211

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

I'm having a similar problem. I'm in the first week of Cycle 1 and I find the first three working sets way too easy and then the fourth set difficult but I still have a rep or two left in the tank. Then with the EMOMs I'm not feeling worked at all. I'm pretty sure my maxes are accurate. Should I just stay the course as well or adjust the final working set and EMOMs according to the new templates in the update?

Also, I had a question about the percentages in the working sets. The final set is at like 85%, and I can hit the 3 required reps. Why does the plan call for dallying from 60% up all at 3 reps? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep all the working sets as heavy as near possible, maybe all a little closer to 85% than with a 25% disparity?

I don't have any experience in strength programming, and I don't want to argue with results, but I just don't understand the point of doing low weight sets at the same percentage of higher weight sets.

Ebrown-711:  The purpose of the working sets is to burn muscle glycogen and to work sub-maximally in preparation for the dynamic effort of the EMOM.  I personally make the working sets a slower deliberate lift and concentrate of perfect form then move the EMOM sets as fast a possible, still with as perfect a form as I can.  All of this builds your body slowly over time and allows you to keep your gains.  I began OMOB with V1 at weights I knew I could handle easily to vett the program as designed; at the end of the first cycle I completed new 1RMs in week 3 to get a more accurate starting point for cycle 2. 

I would recommend finishing the first cycle as programmed then get accurate 1RMs if possible then do another cycle of V1.  After the second cycle; if you still feel froggie, air out V2.  I can tell you from expereince that V2 with accurate 1RMs will challenge you.  Good luck and please let us know how it works for you.

Chuck

• Jerred, DustoffDave and Jumper like this

#8 Ebrown-711

Ebrown-711

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:20 AM

Thanks a ton. I'll stick with it.

• Jerred and chuckl211 like this

#9 Jerred

Jerred

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

Ebrown-711:  The purpose of the working sets is to burn muscle glycogen and to work sub-maximally in preparation for the dynamic effort of the EMOM.  I personally make the working sets a slower deliberate lift and concentrate of perfect form then move the EMOM sets as fast a possible, still with as perfect a form as I can.  All of this builds your body slowly over time and allows you to keep your gains.  I began OMOB with V1 at weights I knew I could handle easily to vett the program as designed; at the end of the first cycle I completed new 1RMs in week 3 to get a more accurate starting point for cycle 2. 

I would recommend finishing the first cycle as programmed then get accurate 1RMs if possible then do another cycle of V1.  After the second cycle; if you still feel froggie, air out V2.  I can tell you from expereince that V2 with accurate 1RMs will challenge you.  Good luck and please let us know how it works for you.

Chuck

Concur! 

• chuckl211 likes this

#10 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 5,673 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:07 AM

These are great question's and answers . I'm glad its Friday and I have time to think and enjoy . I cant speak with authority here but for me , it's difficult to tell weather or not I grossly miscalculated my 1RM going into cycle 1 V1 or the gains were just that good . Doesn't really matter tho because I retested my 1RM after the last set of cycle 1 as the program lays out and cycle 2 is a different ball game .  

• Jerred likes this

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users