1846 replies to this topic

#1 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,408 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:54 PM

Ground Zero Week 1 Day 1 : Followed the plan . Did not account for the space needed for lunges . Night time run in the dark cold rain was out . No worries , the kinks will get ironed out . Broad jumps smoked my bags . Felt great , feel great .

Day 2 : Followed the plan : Transitions and timing will improve . Still ,I'm sore from head to toe after only day 2 and I cant wait to get back to the shanty . Hang cleans were awkward , cant wait to do them again  . Tuck jumps , oh the tuck jumps . 

• VidaMD, PalosDief, RidallcaK and 17 others like this
Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#2 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:47 PM

Ok , GROUND ZERO week 1 days 1-4 completed ( for the most part ) . Really , this was a zero wk . No worries . I've done some homework and got all the exercises saved ... you tube . My son and I will put his phone to use and film ourselves . We will concentrate on Mondays work and carry on . I learned about dynamic and static stretching . I recognized the exercises but didn't know  their purpose , not really . Now I know . Dynamic before , static after , each time without fail . I'm pretty f**kin psyched ! Pretty f**kin sore too , lol . Weakness leaving the body .

• VidaMD likes this

#3 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

OK , week 2 days 1 and 2 .Followed the plan . Had to substitute hang cleans with kettle-bell swings . Still not flexible enough to rack my beautiful Juliet . ( my barbell , lol ) No worries , soon we'll be doing a poetic dance like two lovers on a one way trip ! lol 

#4 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:19 PM

OK , week 2 days 1 and 2 .Followed the plan . Had to substitute hang cleans with kettle-bell swings . Still not flexible enough to rack my beautiful Juliet . ( my barbell , lol ) No worries , soon we'll be doing a poetic dance like two lovers on a one way trip ! lol 

Well stated!  Check out the boys at Outlaw Way and Outlaw Crossfit, they refer to it as barbell gymnastics.  Quite funny.

• Stu likes this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#5 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:00 PM

Ok , Wk 2 days 3 and 4 completed . ( technically still a zero wk but I'll not hit myself in the head too hard . ) I can visually see the changes in my flexibility . I greater understand what a challenging weight means , Understanding more the importance of goals relative to OMOB . Learned about dynamic stretching vs static stretching . Applied dynamic stretching for wk 2 but not static , no excuses . No HIIT or steady state , no worries . Cold wintry dark nights no excuses . ( lol ) Ready for Monday at the Home Gym Shanty !

• VidaMD likes this

#6 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:42 PM

Wk3 , All present and accounted for , lol . My son and I completed another week with progress and improvement being made . We are looking forward to the OMOB . It might take several more weeks running thru Ground Zero as we still have work to do . For example , I have not been truly up to standard with keeping my body TIGHT ! I practiced various movements concentrating on keeping my gut tight like anticipating a punch and that alone smoked my ass with no weight at all . I feel great about it too . I totally understand how bad form might go unnoticed until injury sets in and how proper form serves to strengthen those danger areas ( 101 stuff I know ). Motivation is high and it feels as if we're almost ready to stand at the ready on the starting line . 

• VidaMD and Jumper like this

#7 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:48 PM

[Oops , I posted this in the wrong place so I'll put it here where it belongs]

Ok folks , here's where this log gets tough . I feel accountable to it , and to the athletes here . I decided to jump the rez and begin the OMOB v1 . We spent this 4th  Zero week testing our 1 rep max's on the lifts I am able to do with proper form . These would be the basics ; low bar back squat , bench press , overhead press and the dead lift . Time is fleet , and I'm ready to kick it up a notch . I figure after one cycle OMOB throw in one of these WOD's and start fine tuning a developing core . How did I not see this years ago . In any case , today : OMOB wk 1 day 1 squat . (  I feel good about my 1 rep max ) Moving by the clock is teaching me about technique and time spent thinking about my form on the next movement . Keeping a log , well , that's a learning process too . lol 

• VidaMD and albi like this

#8 chuckl211

chuckl211

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:55 PM

Good to go Stu!  Good luck on your first cycle! 

Chuck

• Stu likes this

#9 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:58 PM

Good to go Stu!  Good luck on your first cycle! 

Chuck

Thanks Chuck !

#10 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:59 PM

OMOB wk1 days 2 and 3 : day 2 bench press ; day 3 overhead press ; tonight dead lift . As I started the week I felt the workouts light ,  working v1 , but I was wrong . I feel it for sure and glad I stuck to the op order . Its funny , the first thing my son and I say to each other when I come home from work is , " I can feel it in my chest " , or " my legs are sore " . We love it .

• VidaMD, Jumper and chuckl211 like this

#11 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

OMOB wk1 day 4 : Dead lift . We are making good progress with our technique considering we are learning from videos and much reading . My son , more so than I , is scraping his shins , so its over the calf socks and we get our " scrape " on , lol . I look forward to the day when we feel comfortable enough with our form and technique to give it everything we have with this deadlift . Need to make some tweaks to the " Shanty " to more properly romance my beautiful Juliet ! She's hot for the deadlift , lol Anyway , wk 1 down . In position .

• Jumper and chuckl211 like this

#12 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:27 AM

OMOB wk 2 completed .. This thing permeates my entire day in everything I do .Its like a pressure valve  for my brain . Never before have I truly noticed how poorly most people treat themselves . Surprisingly , these people motivate me , more than they confuse me , lol . Anyway wk 2 down , in position . Really looking forward to " the other stuff " , but not yet , not yet . Thank you everyone , for this accountability .  

• Jumper likes this

#13 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,655 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:00 PM

OMOB wk 2 completed .. This thing permeates my entire day in everything I do .Its like a pressure valve  for my brain . Never before have I truly noticed how poorly most people treat themselves . Surprisingly , these people motivate me , more than they confuse me , lol . Anyway wk 2 down , in position . Really looking forward to " the other stuff " , but not yet , not yet . Thank you everyone , for this accountability .  

It's completely baffles me to hear people whine about how out of shape they are but do nothing about it.  Keep up the hard work, never be afraid to let us know if you need some motivation.  Shame, belittling, chastising, or actual support we'll be there!

• chuckl211 and Stu like this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#14 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:31 AM

OMOB wk 3 completed . I may have gone off the rez a little , but I'm happy about it . Working OMOB with my 15 yr old son really puts caution in my face . We re-tested our 1RM's after our 4th sets . Our confidence in our form is high , with technique still developing . We needed just a slight increase in the challenge . Cant wait for next cycle wk 1 ! My son is ready for the " other stuff ", lol , but dad needs another cycle ( may be two ). I'm working on my mobility and flexibility and it is going well . The days are getting longer and " monster hill " in front of my house is calling my name ! I'll post up stats next cycle like i should . Now I think I'll have that " Cheeky Beer " lol

• VidaMD, Jumper and thriver like this

#15 chuckl211

chuckl211

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

Great work Stu!  I think it is awesome that you and your son are taking this journey together.  A quick note on the de-load week - I personally felt that I could just continue on and skip it, but chose to follow the program as perscribed.  Having done so I can attest to the fact that YOU NEED TO DE-LOAD for the ENTIRE WEEK.  I can't over-emphasize it enough, especially with a Ranger Scroll on their avatar.  I know how it goes but you will understand when you hit cycle 2 well rested and stronger! 

If I sound preachy I apologize, but I know the SOF type well and completely understand the call to do something hard.

Chuck

• VidaMD and Stu like this

#16 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:01 PM

Great work Stu!  I think it is awesome that you and your son are taking this journey together.  A quick note on the de-load week - I personally felt that I could just continue on and skip it, but chose to follow the program as perscribed.  Having done so I can attest to the fact that YOU NEED TO DE-LOAD for the ENTIRE WEEK.  I can't over-emphasize it enough, especially with a Ranger Scroll on their avatar.  I know how it goes but you will understand when you hit cycle 2 well rested and stronger! 

If I sound preachy I apologize, but I know the SOF type well and completely understand the call to do something hard.

Chuck

Just now seeing this . Thanks for the advice ! I have indeed come close to skipping the de-load week , lol . However  I kept hearing the words of Jerred saying " don't mess with my program ! I've learned to trust a proven system so I followed the plan . My son and I are becoming team tight and he relies solely on me to teach him right , which I will do , with help from " this team ".  Thank you !

• VidaMD and chuckl211 like this

#17 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:07 AM

OMOB v1 cycle 2 wk1 day 1 . 

Low bar back squat : Stu's 1RM - 210 lbs

Tony's 1Rm - 250 lbs ( yup , Tony's a beast ! )

EMOM's : Stu - 115

Tony - 135

We warmed up as such : 15 reps with the bar , 8 reps @ 50% , 5 reps @ 70% , 3 reps @ 80% , 1 rep @ 90% , ( % of EMOM weight ) We did no dynamic stretches and I think this was a mistake . We feel great and felt good going into the working sets but think I may have cheated us . still much to learn here .  I am truly grateful for the de-load week as tonight was somewhat the smoker , lol . It was a crispy , snowy , windy 17 degrees but the " Shanty " warmed up surprisingly fast . We are psyched !  

• Jumper, thriver and chuckl211 like this

#18 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,655 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:39 AM

Nice work on the squats!  Stay warm my friends, sub-zero is on it's way again.  I will take the cold over the snow the east coast is getting!

• Stu likes this

#19 chuckl211

chuckl211

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:37 PM

OMOB v1 cycle 2 wk1 day 1 . 

Low bar back squat : Stu's 1RM - 210 lbs

Tony's 1Rm - 250 lbs ( yup , Tony's a beast ! )

EMOM's : Stu - 115

Tony - 135

We warmed up as such : 15 reps with the bar , 8 reps @ 50% , 5 reps @ 70% , 3 reps @ 80% , 1 rep @ 90% , ( % of EMOM weight ) We did no dynamic stretches and I think this was a mistake . We feel great and felt good going into the working sets but think I may have cheated us . still much to learn here .  I am truly grateful for the de-load week as tonight was somewhat the smoker , lol . It was a crispy , snowy , windy 17 degrees but the " Shanty " warmed up surprisingly fast . We are psyched !  

15 y/o and squatting 250# = BEAST!  Awesome!  Can't recommend Starrets' book enough; I've wished I would have had that book 20 years ago and think you will see what I mean when you read/practice it!

Nice to hear that your "Shanty" heats up nice b/c 17 deg does not sound fun!  Great work on cycle 1!

Chuck

• Stu likes this

#20 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:17 AM

OMOB v1 cycle 2 wk 1 :

Day 1 Squat : Stu 1RM 210 EMOM 115 Tony 1RM 250 EMOM 135

Day 2 Bench press : Stu `1RM 170 EMOM 90 Tony 1RM 140 EMOM 75

Day 3 Overhead press : Stu 1RM 125 EMOM 70 Tony 1RM 105 EMOM 55

Day 3 Dead Lift : Stu 1RM 310 EMOM 165 Tony 1RM 300 EMOM 160 

Well , there it is , thats what we're starting with . Our team work is spot on and we keep the " J " girl's dancing . Tony's barbell is named " Jenny " , mine " Juliet . We rock-n-roll loading up the plates and have the moves planned before we leave the house , right after our shake , lol . Really looking forward to the thaw . It was a sweet 10 degrees tonight . Oh yeah , Day 1 kicked my ass , lol .

• VidaMD, Jumper, theDonnybrook and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users