2041 replies to this topic

#41 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:06 PM

Nice looking box.  I think my next plyo box project will be something stackable.  Easier than jumping onto plates, I think.  Where did you get the design?

Thanks theDonnybrook ! It was posted in the DYI section at the bottom of the members area . I'm an Intarsia artist , not a carpenter , lol , but it was simple enough . 

• Edwardbrek, JohnnyKn, MableWast and 3 others like this

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#42 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:09 PM

Thanks Vida ! It is perty dern sturdy , lol . Also , thanks for your kind words , it was my honor to serve . 

• Jumper likes this

#43 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:18 PM

Ok . Just got back from the Shanty . My goal going in was to simply to complete the task , 250 box jumps . I cheated by tacking the top on the box making it 20" . I decided that we would face off and alternate the jumping and sound off after each one . The Idea was to regulate our pace and keep us motivated , which it did . We cut our teeth with this and we are on top of the world . I thank everyone for your support . It feels like a team . In any case , our time was 20:08 . 

• DustoffDave, Jumper, thriver and 1 other like this

#44 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:07 AM

Ok . Just got back from the Shanty . My goal going in was to simply to complete the task , 250 box jumps . I cheated by tacking the top on the box making it 20" . I decided that we would face off and alternate the jumping and sound off after each one . The Idea was to regulate our pace and keep us motivated , which it did . We cut our teeth with this and we are on top of the world . I thank everyone for your support . It feels like a team . In any case , our time was 20:08 . 

Awesome, nice job guys!!

• Jumper, thriver and Stu like this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#45 chuckl211

chuckl211

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:05 AM

Nice work on the box jumps Stu!

• Stu likes this

#46 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:26 AM

OMOB v1 cycle 3 wk 1 :

Day 1 Squat : Stu 1RM 215* EMOM 115 Tony 1RM 250* EMOM 140

Day 2 Bench press : Stu `1RM 175* EMOM 95 Tony 1RM 145* EMOM 80

Day 3 Overhead press : Stu 1RM 130* EMOM 70 Tony 1RM 110* EMOM 55

Day 3 Dead Lift : Stu 1RM 315* EMOM 170 Tony 1RM 305* EMOM 165

Another great  week . I'm still having fun with these most basic lifts here . We both are . I gotta tighten up tho . Looking around here at EO3 I easily see how far I need to go . Not to mention that I jumped up tonight and grabbed the pull-up bar to do some stricts and my screaming ab let me know half way up that I wasn't going up any higher . LOL ! .......  der gum box jumps ! !  A week later ?  Who'd a thunk it ? ......... I cant wait I tell ya ....  I'm far far behind now but I'm catching up . 

• VidaMD, DustoffDave, Jumper and 2 others like this

#47 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

OMOB v1 cycle 3 wk2 : POSTPONED due to a pesky ole vacation in the Ozarks Arkansas . Tony and I did manage to get in a 12K trail ruck and a few hours kayak . No worries , we will pick it up Monday .        

• VidaMD, DustoffDave, Jumper and 1 other like this

#48 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:53 PM

OMOB v1 cycle 3 wk2 : POSTPONED due to a pesky ole vacation in the Ozarks Arkansas . Tony and I did manage to get in a 12K trail ruck and a few hours kayak . No worries , we will pick it up Monday .        

Hey man, that's the reason we do this.  I bet that ruck and kayak felt great and a functional way to put your fitness to the test.  That is a beautiful area and a fantastic way to get back to nature.  Sounds like an awesome vacation!

• Jumper, thriver and Stu like this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#49 Jumper

Jumper

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:20 PM

On the money there Vida. Enjoy the break Stu! Then back with a vengeance!
  • Stu likes this
Does it hurt? Good. Get it done.

#50 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:13 PM

Hey man, that's the reason we do this.  I bet that ruck and kayak felt great and a functional way to put your fitness to the test.  That is a beautiful area and a fantastic way to get back to nature.  Sounds like an awesome vacation!

It was a great trip . Tony was leading the way to the high ground and said " I bet we wouldn't be making it this easy if we didn't train the way we do " . Same with the kayak workout . I cant put a price tag on that . Thanks Gents ! 

Jumper , back with a vengeance is right . Feels good to come home and train ......... and now there is this kettle-bell thing  ..... with a vengeance you say ! lol ! 

• DustoffDave, Jumper and thriver like this

#51 chuckl211

chuckl211

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:47 PM

I think it is awesome that you and your Son share so much; in the end I would say that in the grand scheme of things a postponed week of training to do what you did is well worth it.  After all, this is a lifetime pursuit for many of us and breaks like that re-focus your efforts.  I look forward to your results of the throwdown!

All that being said - RANGER UP!  Get some!

• Stu likes this

#52 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:42 PM

I think it is awesome that you and your Son share so much; in the end I would say that in the grand scheme of things a postponed week of training to do what you did is well worth it.  After all, this is a lifetime pursuit for many of us and breaks like that re-focus your efforts.  I look forward to your results of the throwdown!

All that being said - RANGER UP!  Get some!

Thanks Chuck , I'll always have EO3 to thank for being a huge part in Me and my Sons journey together . The older I get the more I understand that it truly is the journey . 

All of that being said , as for this March Wod , lol , we consider ourselves re-cycles . We went ten rounds and smoked ourselves , but we didnt complete the task to minimum standards . No worries , I've faced this before , and we aren't going anywhere ! 

• Jumper likes this

#53 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

Thanks Chuck , I'll always have EO3 to thank for being a huge part in Me and my Sons journey together . The older I get the more I understand that it truly is the journey . 

All of that being said , as for this March Wod , lol , we consider ourselves re-cycles . We went ten rounds and smoked ourselves , but we didnt complete the task to minimum standards . No worries , I've faced this before , and we aren't going anywhere ! 

Stu - you stepped in the ring, tightened the sphincter and went for it.  Kudos!

• Stu likes this

#54 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:17 AM

Just a quick note : I'm so grateful to the athletes here for asking and answering questions . I wouldn't know who to trust at a gym , cant afford an instructor , and wouldn't have any reference with the plethora of video's on YouTube . With what I've learned this week , I dont believe that I will up our weights next cycle . It became all too clear tonight as I consciously had to force my elbows from flaring out . I could have more easily pushed the bar up ( bench press night ) by doing what came naturally  ...  flaring my elbows out  ! It was a great night for the both of us . I wont up our weights until i get it together and post a video . I put myself in a coaches position without truly understanding the game . I'm still going to attempt the challenges and WOD's because you guys force me to learn . I'm just very excited and feeling great ( and sore as hell from flailing that kettle-bell around . Cant wait to get that down ) We also added some pushups and pullups tonight . You guy really got me fired up man ! Freekin HOOAH ! 

• DustoffDave and chuckl211 like this

#55 chuckl211

chuckl211

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:58 AM

Nice work Stu and good call on sacrificing the immediate gains of bigger weight w/o good form.  I'll be willing to bet that once you get yourself square with form that the gains will be longer lasting.  You have the resources (Supple Leopard) and feel free to ask all the questions you like.  Again, great work and good call.

• Stu likes this

#56 Jumper

Jumper

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:52 AM

I agree with Chuck, that's a very mature and sensible way of approaching the iron game Stu.

I used to be a bench fiend (once upon a time I was benching five and a half plates), these days I'm benching far less (albeit I'm a much more useful human now!) but after reading up on torque principles courtesy of Kelly Starett courtesy of Chuck, actually feel the difference when I bench now.

Long way of saying your effort may never falter, but when you're smarter you're stronger.
  • chuckl211 and Stu like this
Does it hurt? Good. Get it done.

#57 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:41 PM

Agree with everything said - I'll add that it's hard to progress when you're injured.  Injuries aren't always catastrophic, could be a tweaked elbow or shoulder, low back etc.  Take you time, do it right, at the end of the day nobody cares what the weight was.  Just the fact you're doing it and relishing the suck....  Right on brother.

• Jumper likes this

#58 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:42 PM

I agree with Chuck, that's a very mature and sensible way of approaching the iron game Stu.

I used to be a bench fiend (once upon a time I was benching five and a half plates), these days I'm benching far less (albeit I'm a much more useful human now!) but after reading up on torque principles courtesy of Kelly Starett courtesy of Chuck, actually feel the difference when I bench now.

Long way of saying your effort may never falter, but when you're smarter you're stronger.

Remember when I said something about Jumper being a mutant........ :o

• Jumper and Stu like this

#59 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

OMOB v1 cycle3  wk 2 :

Day 1 Squat : Stu 1RM 215* EMOM 135 Tony 1RM 255 EMOM 160

Day 2 Bench press : Stu `1RM 175* EMOM 110 Tony 1RM 145* EMOM 90

Day 3 Overhead press : Stu 1RM 130* EMOM 80 Tony 1RM 110* EMOM 65

Day 3 Dead Lift : Stu 1RM 315* EMOM 200 Tony 1RM 300 EMOM 190

Great week . We got a lot more benefit from the lifts this week thanks to Kelly Starret . I learned about ankle impingement , failed arches , PSOAS (thanks Chuck) Shoulder impingement and how to set my shoulders , screwing my feet in , deep squat stretches . I can foam roll my calves now without squealing like baby . I check my posture 1000 times a day , lift bags and shovel and climb properly at work . Got rid of a tennis elbow that was bothering me for months . My shoulders are down to a soft click ( usually much worse ) after a week of lifting . I feel a spring in my step , almost ready for the run . Its a transformation I tell ya , and I'm freekin psyched ! 

• VidaMD, DustoffDave, Jumper and 2 others like this

#60 chuckl211

chuckl211

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:52 PM

Great to hear Stu!  I am glad that you are seeing the benefits like I did in correct posture!  Rock on!

• Stu likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users