13 replies to this topic

#1 kbenson

kbenson

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:48 PM

Hey guys, I trust this community to give me a great opinion.  I've been doing one man one barbell now for 6 weeks and saturday hit my over 30yrs old PR at 135kg power clean....I've canceled my wife's gym membership and mine run's out in November, but I don't want to wait.  I'm ready for the garage.  I've found a company that will give me affordable prices to get equipped fast.  Check them out for me.  www.https://www.strengthshop.de/

Also, I'm attaching some pics.  I need to sell the bed and straighten up a bit...But, will it work for an Eo3 gym??  It's about 9 feet wide, 7 feet tall and declines towards the back.  15 feet deep.  I can stand up right inside the door and do squats and cleans no problems.  But, if I needed to do anything overhead, I'd have to step out on that edge sidewalk spot.  Any and all suggestions and recommendations welcome.  Thanks in advance.  I trust this no nonsense grit community to help me out.  I'll intro myself more maybe on another strand.  But, shortly, I live and work in East German with my family and kids, I also play semi-pro American Football for the team in my city...Okay, thanks everyone.Attached File  IMG_4103.JPG   51.64KB   2 downloadsAttached File  IMG_4102.JPG   38.99KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_4117.JPG   36.3KB   0 downloads

#2 theDonnybrook

theDonnybrook

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:44 PM

Looks like a good space to me.  Keep the tire.  Make sure to use it to scare the neighbors.  As for what you could do with it, build a rack and a platform and put it up against the wall on the right in the pictures.

• kbenson likes this

#3 kbenson

kbenson

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for the encouragement for sure.  Yeah, I've been putting that tire to use for over a year now, and funny you mention it...but the neighbors get a show every-time.  Thanks again, I'm steps closer to making this a reality.  I've got my barbell picked out and I'm finding out about some seconds bumper sets of about 100kg...

#4 theDonnybrook

theDonnybrook

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:36 PM

Check out www.garage-gyms.com.  Pretty solid blog for all things garage gyms.  Great DIY stuff in addition to some great gear reviews, too.

• kbenson likes this

#5 Jumper

Jumper

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:21 PM

Welcome kbenson, looks like a great space! Keen to see the finished result.
  • kbenson likes this
Does it hurt? Good. Get it done.

#6 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,893 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:28 PM

Welcome ! Look forward to seeing your gym and what you name it . Love that tire too . 

• kbenson likes this

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#7 kbenson

kbenson

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

Thanks everyone for the welcome and support!  I'll keep you guys updated with picks and progress for sure.  And good point staylor2233, I do need to name it!!

Okay, stay tuned. 

Well, while I'm at it.  Do you guys think a 120 kg bumper set is good enough to get started?  And are the rubber mats important for the garage, or just stick with the concrete...??

• kbenson likes this

#8 Jumper

Jumper

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

Hey mate. Yes, a name is crucial!
120kg set should be enough to get you started for sure, but as you mentioned your clean is 135 you may want to get a bigger set.

I'd definitely get the rubber mats. They will look after your gear better, both the bumpers and the barbell.
  • theDonnybrook and kbenson like this

#9 chuckl211

chuckl211

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:37 PM

Welcome Aboard Kbenson!  Your garage looks cozy and luckily you don't need too much space to work OMOB, there are a couple of guys on the board who have their gyms in small spaces as well and would be a great collaborative resource.  Jpera I think has a smaller set up.  As for equipment; I second Jumer's statement, if you are cleaning 135kg then you will need a deeper set and mats or a platform will preserve you and your floor.  I would also look into the structure a bit to find a solid point for pullups and/or maybe rings.  I would also check out the level of the floor, and if too much out of whack consider building a platform.  Spartan Tough build a sweet platform and is willing to help with the plans. 

That being said; awesome to meet you and great work on your clean! 

• kbenson likes this

#10 kbenson

kbenson

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:37 PM

Okay guys,

Here it is.  I've been able to sell some things, clean up a little and find some great deals on some seconds slightly used 100kg bumpers, then bought some brand new 20kg bumpers to make my 140kg set so far.  Got my bar and two mats.  Thanks for all of the advice.  I still need to figure out how to hook up my TRX at a mount point in the concrete, then I could use that for all my "pull-up" or "dip" type movements hopefully.  Next step, building a box and getting some kettlebells for sure!

Thanks so much for the support.  Now, I'm ready to start Accelerate! 

Still need a name...maybe after a few workouts in there I'll know!

• Jumper and Stu like this

#11 kbenson

kbenson

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

Okay, I have the pics but can't figure out how to put them in here...

#12 Jumper

Jumper

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:01 AM

Try load them in the gallery mate. As for the name, it'll come!

#13 kbenson

kbenson

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:31 AM

#14 kbenson

kbenson

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:42 AM

Okay guys, I put the pic in the gallery.  Kbenson's pics is the album...Check it.  Really simple, but hopefully I'll keep adding to it.  Thanks for all the support and push helping me make this thought and dream a reality! 

• VidaMD and Stu like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users