#1 Vector300

Vector300

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationBerks County, Pennsylvania

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:51 PM

So I've read through several posts bout how OMOB pairs when using the Olympic lifts (clean & jerk, snatch) as well as some personal modifications that others have done. With that I've decided to devote a whole year to serious Olympic weightlifting training once my home gym is up and running, bout another 4-6 weeks.

I want to get highly proficient at something I have almost zero background in. Obviously I plan on getting coached in the lifts but I love how OMOB fits with a variety of styles like pure strength building, how flexible it is and its garage/underground nature. But is it a good program for Olympic lifting? my breakdown would probably be something like this:

Day 1: Clean & Jerk (OMOB), upper body (horizontal push/pull) focus, core

Day 2: Squat (OMOB), lower body (quad dominant) focus, loaded carry, conditioning/mobility work

Day 3: Snatch (OMOB), upper body (vertical push/pull) focus, core

Day 4: Deadlift (OMOB), lower body (hip dominant) focus, neck training, conditioning/mobility work

Day 5: Da Gunz, grip

Day 6: Active Rest, optional conditioning/mobility work

Day 7: Active Rest
  • Stu likes this

#2 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:25 AM

I dont know what you're going to get into Mr V , but I've no doubt its gonna be good ! Cant wait to see that gym you're putting together . I love your posts on gear and equipment too .

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#3 Vector300

Vector300

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:44 AM

Thanks Stu! Love your motivation, keeps me posting haha.

Honestly I'm a guy that wants it all - wanna be a sprinter, powerlifter, weightlifter, bodybuilder, crossfitter, gymnast, strongman...ok, not a runner. Sorry but those brahs have like no lats, traps, or biceps haha. Just kidding, kinda.

Problem is I have training ADD and need to focus so I'm gonna maintain but keep strong and master, or at least become proficient in, weighlifting. My least known area. As Matt Mills (Strongman/Raw Powerlifter) says and I'm paraphrasing:

Perform your compound lifts like a powerlifter (in my case - weightlifter), accessory work like a bodybuilder and finish like a strongman (meadleys, heavy conditioning, etc).

So I'm trying to apply that with OMOB. More to come as I dig deeper

#4 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:08 PM

V - training ADD fits me to a T.  You'll see a reference to it early on in my logs.  I'm not sure of you're background and how long you have been at it, but if I can offer any unsolicited advice - monitor your training volume.  I was indestructible for 3 years and then injured my shoulder several months ago - it's taken quite awhile to get back to the new normal but still bothers me.  Food for thought as you jump into it.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#5 Vector300

Vector300

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:08 PM

Vida, I'm with you on that. I may drop it down to three heavy sessions of OMOB (clean+jerk, snatch, squat/deadlift) and keep two "fluff" days. Or even approach it with a Conjugate/Accelerate approach performing the main Olympic lifts for ME/DE and throwing in heavy-ish squats and deads on the DE days.

For the record I have zero experience with the Oly lifts outside of the power variations and trying to mimic Kolokov on YouTube. So this is all new to me that's why I wanna dump all my energy into it, cause I can, haha.
  • VidaMD and Stu like this

#6 Vector300

Vector300

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

Since I'm such a noob at weighlifting I decided I'm going to follow Greg Everett's Starter Program for Catalyst Athletics. It's only four weeks long but I love the exposure to both the regular and the power variations plus you squat just about every session and there's still room for what Greg calls "beach work" and lite conditioning. That's what I'm looking for so I can get in and get out and spend the rest of the time working on mobility/flexibility, technique, and recovery.

I'll probably combine the warmup and stretching from the beginning of Barbell Shrugged's Flight Program which is insanely in-depth about learning to feel all the positions in each movement. This is gonna be a huge ego dump too since I have to learn hook-grip as well which means my weights are gonna be low and my progress slow at first but whatever.

I know Oly show make the biggest difference in performance but I'm gonna hold off and pick up a pair of wrist wraps and yes, a weighlifting belt. But only for the max effort day for now.

After this program I may repeat it or jump into either a dedicated Oly program or just say screw it and do OMOB. My only concern with OMOB is the EMOM portion since I have zero Olympic lifting skill and that it's technically not designed for Oly lifts I need a solid foundation first.

#7 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:47 AM

V - I love your enthusiasm!  GE at Catalyst is solid - At some point I'm going to tackle his 12 wk oly program, maybe this winter.  Keep us posted on progress man

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#8 Vector300

Vector300

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:26 PM

Thanks V, which program is that? Greg has a couple 12 week ones.

#9 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:25 PM

12 week Basic Oly Lift Cycle - I downloaded the SS from them and plan to hit it at some point.  

http://www.catalysta...eek-Basic-Cycle

They are apparently updating the SS, I'll have to check in before i hit it and see if they made any major changes

#10 Vector300

Vector300

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:40 PM

Vida, that's looks like a solid program though a little too advanced for me at the moment. I'd still like to try it eventually. What do you think about running the Catalyst beginner program back to back for two or preferably three cycles so about three month (twelve weeks)? That way I can just drill and drill my technique but still have ample time for more conditioning and pump work.
  • VidaMD likes this

#11 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:04 PM

V - that looks pretty solid, being new I would hit it for 12 weeks minimum unless it really comes together.  But 12 is a good target assuming your ADD can hold out!!  Keep us posted

#12 Vector300

Vector300

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

Haha will do bro, I feel like four weeks just isn't enough plus when I run program/cycles I usually like to stick with that twelve week format for easy tracking. As far as my ADD goes, I'm gonna definitely focus on Oly lifting but you know I'm gonna have me some playtime, haha.

Just got done reading an awesome article by Everett addressing Louie Simmons Olympic Lifting article. I'll post it here for anyone who cares. I respect Simmons but he's kinda out there on this one.

http://www.catalysta...g-in-Your-Lane/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users