#1 Poppy G

Poppy G

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,360 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:15 PM

Ok Guys this is my thing,

I have been doing 5-3-1 for awhile with the big but boring. Im going to be using my estimated 1rm from that to start the OMOB program.

Monday=OHP Tuesday=DEADLIFT Thursday=BENCH Friday=SQUAT

Now what i was thinking of doing was the basic program with the EMOM and for acc excercises but im wanting to carry on with my

upper body : - Monday+Thursday

10x10Kg plate raise

10x20Kg ezebar Curls

10x60Kg BBshrug with a slight pull up the stomache

X10 SETS

lowerbody :-Tuesday+Friday

10 bulgiarian BW squats per leg

20x30 Lb Laying leg curls

20 sit ups

X5 SETS

So basicly 100 reps per exercise twice a week.

Now im trying to practise my Oly lifts as well so im thinkning of doing every easy weight on the bar as in 10 kg or 20 kg on the bar at tops for these until i get the form down.

Now for the question.

Would it  be too much for me to do my program as set out above with me doing 5 sets of 3 for the light Oly lifts per exercise a day ( a different oly lift each day ) and include the conditioning program or one of STU's wods for conditioning after each day.

Thanks in advance

Lee

• Stu likes this
My last word will probably be
"Whoops"
"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#2 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:38 PM

I'm not sure if I understand ALL dynamics of your question, BUT I can tell you that the 15minute AMRAP conditioning (from the barbell programmer) is quick, efficient & comprehensive. Each "session" has a compound movement, a metcon exercise AND abdominal work. You wind up getting tons of reps in a short amount of time. So far, it's given me a a very good exercise value for my time dollar.

If I misinterpreted or misunderstood your question, then disregard with my apologies! Good luck!

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#3 Vector300

Vector300

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationBerks County, Pennsylvania

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:47 PM

This is a question that may be better answered by some of our other more experienced lifter like Vida or Jumper. Pop's is right on the money too in that you will be performing a lot of overall volume however I too will try and chime in with my opinion.

I personally think that the idea of "too much" or "overtraining" is kinda bull...

Having said that it comes down to your own ability to recover (diet/nutrition, sleep, active recovery, etc.) natural (or otherwise). I go by how I feel, that may sound a little new age but it's definitely working for me. Auto-regulation taken to the max. No one understands my body better than myself. Just like no one understands your body better than you. If you are someone that can naturally push yourself then the garage/home gym will be a HUGE advantage. Others who need some kind of rigid structure or support (and there's nothing wrong with that) may benefit from taking the occasional class or being in a typical gym/box environment. We do police each other here but when it comes down to the grind there's no one else there telling you to go faster, harder, stronger but you. So what's my point?

While I don't think it's too much for you to add Oly lifting in there I don't know how much progress you're really gonna make. You may be spreading yourself too thin. I dropped the mighty deadlift from my routine (yeah I know...) so I could focus on my squatting. I will still deadlift occasionally like once a month heavy but my deadlift was already powerful and I needed more time, and still do, to work on what is lagging. So maybe you want to shift your focus rather than tack on some additional work, make it your main priority until it's at an acceptable personal level. For example - when I hit (and I will) a back squat at 315lbs at or below a body weight of 135lbs then I will go from squatting 3 days a week to probably 2 and reintroduce deadlifting 1-2 times a week. My volume is still off the charts but my goals are more focused now.

I would also make sure your giving your central nervous system a break and don't go balls to the wall every time you train. That's probably the big thing. Alternating heavy workloads and light workloads will allow you to get a lot of time under the bar but still be fresh enough to make steady progress. You can do this a couple ways. I train full body heavy so I alternate heavy/light/heavy but you could also do something like heavy upper/light lower/light upper/heavy lower. Find what works.

That's all I have now. Would like to help more as the post develops.

#4 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:11 PM

V- good advice

My 2 cents - Use your Oly lifts as your warmup and then move onto your programming.  Pull from all 3 positions, mix it up and don't run the volume too high.  Other than CF'ers, you'll never see high rep Oly lifts so keep it low.   Do this until the movements are proficient, you'll know when they are as the movement will be grooved.  Video yourself, submit to this site, we'll laugh at you behind your back, and then continue!  Kidding - but do record your lifts

Wendler's second ebook recommends working your Oly lifts on your upper body days, I've done that and it works pretty well.  Not too much volume but you may need to put a rest day between upper and lower days.  Example would be to switch your Monday and Tuesday so Tuesday would be an OHP + Oly day.  You can also work technique on Wed and Sat but again keep the weights low.  Check out Barbell Shrugged, Catalyst Athletics and Thacker, they break apart the lifts into components that you can also add into your programming to further build muscle memory.  If you add Oly's to your upper days, just use the OMOB calculator for your weights but start light and give it time to build up.

You can ride programming like that for a quite awhile, I'm coming off a deload and will start a specific Oly program and will keep everyone up to date on how that works.  I'll also be adding in maintenance lifts so my bench and deadlifts don't suffer.

Hope that helps - bottom line, stick to the basics, add stuff in slowly and see how it feels.  Listen to your body, eat and sleep well 

Good luck - Mike

• Pops likes this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#5 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 5,615 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:45 PM

This is really good stuff gents , and I thank you all .

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#6 Jumper

Jumper

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:45 AM

....and bam. Knowledge bombs.

Nothing to add really - as Vector said its not overtraining unless it's overtraining. That's personal. If you keep injuring yourself, or you're simply not recovering in time, probably fair to say it's too much. That being said...not many people find that line.

If you're simply working on technique for the short term future then I agree - warm up with them. Work on lines, timing and speed. Oly lifts require far more technique than other lifts so do them when you're fresh. Far less chance of a barbell related concussion.

By the way...how old is old these days? Looks like a pretty decent bit of work you've got planned!
Tough old Pom??

Great stuff stuff, look forward to hearing more.
  • VidaMD and Pops like this
Does it hurt? Good. Get it done.

#7 Poppy G

Poppy G

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,360 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:46 PM

Thank you all for the input.
Putting the oly lifts in as warmup is a great idea and some thing I will implement this Monday as that's my first day back after my deload week.
I do read my body pretty well so know when I'm pushing too hard.
So I'm thinking 2 sets of 3 reps from each point of the lifts ie :Off the floor/first pull, second pull, transition. with the bar plus 20kg. I do follow the sites you recommend and love watching the break downs on the lifts.
I'm 47 years old and into my second year of training. My first year was losing 3 stone or 42 lb in body weight and this year I have bounced between body building and strength training with the strength training being my favorite style and the one I'm thinking of sticking with for the foreseeable future. I will be staring my log this Monday and I may even throw up a few videos for your pleasure.

• VidaMD, Jumper and Pops like this
"Whoops"

#8 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:16 PM

Hey Jumper - need me to convert stones for you? :o

• Jumper and theDonnybrook like this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#9 Poppy G

Poppy G

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,360 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:21 PM

Ok new question on the EMOM.

It states start the clock and hit the 4 reps every min for 10 mins. starting from 0.

My maths makes this 11 sets of 4. Am i right in this and have i only gone and cheated myself on my first day by only doing 9 sets ?

Many Thanks

Lee

"Whoops"

#10 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:39 PM

You're good Lee - Technically 0:00 is your first set so with a continuous clock you would stop after 9:00.  If you have a smart phone, download an app that has an EMOM timer.  

#11 Poppy G

Poppy G

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,360 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:51 PM

Thank you for clearing that up for me VidaMd..

"Whoops"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users