#1 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:11 PM

OK - reading through Vector's logs, he notes his preworkout suppz which got me thinking - who's taking what.  This is strictly curiosity on my part so I'll get it started

90% of the time I hit ON Essential Amino's with copious amounts of coffee as I'm an early workerouter

If I hit it again in the afternoon, I'll cycle between BPI's 1MR Vortex and JackedLabs Typhoon(preferred)  

So - what are you on - recommendations?

Vida Out 

• noniceTOpni89 likes this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#2 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:44 PM

Great question.

I've relied a LOT on pre workouts for morning or weekend workouts. However, I'm definitely NOT taking them any more for my runs after the Spartan Beast debacle.

Also, because I have to wake up at 3AM to get morning workout or run in before the part time job starts, I won't take any for an evening/night workout.

Having laid all that out there, I'm currently finishing out a can of C4 50x. I also add some cheap Wal Mart (Body Fortress, I think?)Creatine HCL to it. The 50x is more potent than previous formulas to the point it can make your head feel like you've stuck it in a bed of fire ants  if you get more than 1 scoop.

I've also taken Mr. Hyde which had crazy caffeine upper to it but seemed to have subsequent crash too.

Stomach issues have also crept up if I'm guzzling it on the way to the first set of a HIIT workout.

To be fair, I might be willing to try the 1MR Vortex again if I can find something besides the Polar bear Piss flavor.

Open to suggestions as well...

• Jumper likes this

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#3 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,933 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:36 AM

Funny , Vector got me thinking about this as well . Then on Jumpers Vlog , he mentioned something about sipping on something during his work .

I'll drink a shake ( Body Fortress , vanilla , the only one I can stand ) along with L-glutimine 1000 and creatine monohydrate . Thats it . I tried 1MR but I felt spun and thru it out . I'll drink a choco milk after because I cant afford that many shakes . I eat a multi vitamin and fish oil too . I figure this is as basic as it gets . I eat for fuel and as much as I can . Curios about these aminos during the workouts tho .

• jpera149 likes this
Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#4 Spartan Tough

Spartan Tough

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:48 AM

I take Rivalus Powder Burn pre-workout with Six Star Creatine (from Walmart). The pre-workout is one of my faves flavour wise (orange) and that it dissolves completely when mixed up. During my workout I drink Musclepharm Aminos (lemon-lime or cherry lemonade) and then have my protein shake (chocolate) afterwards. Sometimes I will experiment with other things, but usually stick to these supps.

I have taken the Mr Hyde pre-workout, but found it almost too much with the high caffeine content (apprx. 416mg/scoop) and it made me spend more time sitting in the washroom instead of working out.

• Pops likes this
That which doesn't kill me....didn't try hard enough!

#5 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:42 AM

Have you guys ever tried any supplements from Universal Nutrition like Animal Pak or M-Stak?
  • Vector300 likes this

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#6 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,933 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:00 AM

Have you guys ever tried any supplements from Universal Nutrition like Animal Pak or M-Stak?

Not I . Look forward to learning more about this stuff tho .

#7 Spartan Tough

Spartan Tough

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:32 PM

I took the multi vitamins for a while and that was it. I didn't have a preference between them and Allmax Vitastack.
That which doesn't kill me....didn't try hard enough!

#8 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:42 PM

Nope - I do take a standard multi vitamin, fish oil and creatine - along with whatever whey is on sale.

Ya, the polar bear piss flavor of 1MR get's old in a hurry.  

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#9 UKoldguy

UKoldguy

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:46 PM

:huh: Well heres mine my, Morning after breakfast i take one multi vitamin and i 1000mg Omega 3 fish oil. Night time i take One 1000 Mg Omega 3 fish oil.

And as a prework out i have i black coffee with 2 spoons of coffee in it and after my work out i have i protein scoop with 300ml of water..

\0/

Natty Lee lol

My last word will probably be
"Whoops"
"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#10 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

Hey - side note.  I bought 5lbs of Inner Armour Whey on sale once.  I say once, as I've never had gas like that before.  Holy shit - I'm talking I could float a Zeppelin with that gas.  It was so bad that I stunk and laughed myself out of my gym.  I could fart at will - it worked great with the kids.  Stop that or I will fart in your general direction!!  Just sayin....

• DustoffDave and UKoldguy like this

#11 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:46 PM

HAHA! Ran low on whey last couple of weeks ago and was "between" paychecks so I determined that I would get my protein the "old fashioned" way...food. So...here comes the tuna, and the eggs and the black eyed peas & navy beans in Texas sized quantities. The more the better, right?

Man...NOTHING can make the nose burn like a good old eggs and beans!! The youngest was riding around with his head hanging out the window all week...

• UKoldguy likes this

#12 theDonnybrook

theDonnybrook

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:49 PM

Super basic.  When I know I have a heavy lift planned, particularly last off-season when I really had time to train, I would do bullet proof coffee.  I eventually got away from the butter and just did the coffee and the coconut oil.  Post work out depends upon the work out.  For lifts, I do Muscle Milk protein powder.  For cardio, low fat chocolate milk.  Otherwise, I try to get a glass of water with lemon oil in the morning and a glass of water with peppermint oil in it with dinner.

#13 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:55 PM

Super basic.  When I know I have a heavy lift planned, particularly last off-season when I really had time to train, I would do bullet proof coffee.  I eventually got away from the butter and just did the coffee and the coconut oil.  Post work out depends upon the work out.  For lifts, I do Muscle Milk protein powder.  For cardio, low fat chocolate milk.  Otherwise, I try to get a glass of water with lemon oil in the morning and a glass of water with peppermint oil in it with dinner.

Good info... I like that everyone ON here seems to be budget minded and "basic". Give me the nutshell on the "oils" Mr DB...

#14 UKoldguy

UKoldguy

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:57 PM

HAHA! Ran low on whey last couple of weeks ago and was "between" paychecks so I determined that I would get my protein the "old fashioned" way...food. So...here comes the tuna, and the eggs and the black eyed peas & navy beans in Texas sized quantities. The more the better, right?

Man...NOTHING can make the nose burn like a good old eggs and beans!! The youngest was riding around with his head hanging out the window all week...

A man after my own heart. I OWN the window rights to my car lmao. I can shut them off from the drivers seat. I hear the crys from the back seat and look at them in the review mirror and say " breath deeply of your fathers offerings my young sons." The daughter sitting in the front with me once told me she was going to phone the childs help line :)

• Pops likes this
My last word will probably be
"Whoops"
"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#15 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:53 PM

I kid you not, I just read this post...

http://www.doyoueven...ment-companies/

#16 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,933 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:43 PM

I am drawn to the sound of those oils , and " run away " from the sound of those , " Jack3d " types . Never had luck on the coin toss .

As for the emitting of pungent aromas for the Wife and kids to enjoy , I simply wait for their noses to crinkle accompanied by the retort of " Your f**king nasty dude ! " I then laugh , commenting on the bass , treble and midds of the performance , and hand gesture to , waft in the goodness , LOL !  

• UKoldguy likes this

#17 theDonnybrook

theDonnybrook

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:55 AM

The oils are essential oils.  My mother is kind of a nut about that stuff, but there was some research recently about the impact of the peppermint oil on cardiovascular fitness.  I do that more to maintain and boost my cardio endurance.  Anecdotally, it seems to work.  The lemon oil is supposed to boost metabolism, though, I don't know how well that works yet.  It isn't anything crazy.  The coconut oil is part of that.  There is some decent science to back up using the coconut oil, also.  I am not trying to get huge from lifting so I am not too concerned about diet for the purpose of hypertrophy.  I am really looking for strength to support my endurance training for skating.  The protein powder helps with recovery from lifts.  The chocolate milk, also backed by some really good science, helps with the recovery from cardio.  It has the right mix of carbs, fats, and proteins, and is super cheap.

• Stu likes this

#18 Vector300

Vector300

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationBerks County, Pennsylvania

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:00 AM

So! You all wanna know what lil V's been takin huh?! Well ladies and gentlemen allow me to divulge me dark secrets...

I switch things up all da time!

Here's my current "stack".

*basics*

Multivitamin: Animal Pak - freakin awesome if you can stomach taking like 15 pills/tabs a day. Seriously. You get little packs (hence the name) and they have everything from your typical vitamin/mineral blend to antioxidants, aminos, enzymes, etc.. They also have a good dosage for a lot of stuff like 30mg of zinc which is right on da money for most men. I highly recommend it. But it ain't for the weak at heart. Fun fact - you get a good helping of ZMAs in it so you could easily take it before bed too. I usually take it with my first meal.

Fish Oil: Carlson Norwegian Cod Liver Oil (lemon): 1000+mg per teaspoon. I ain't taking another damn pill with the Pak so I went liquid. Plus it's absorbs easier. Perfect ratio for each serving. Great for cardiovascular activities too. And I feel old skool taking it.

Proteinz: (whatever is on sale but...I prefer blends) I'm doing the Syntrax Matrix series as it taste like gods girlfriend! Plus it has whey (fast), egg albumin (medium), and casein (slow) proteinz. Win. Here's Vector's secret sauce blend. I mix 4 scoops (roughly 90+ grams) into a shaker with 2/3 cup of maltodextrin (carbo gain is cheap) which is like 60g of complex carbs and sip on it throughout the day. If I'm cycling creatine I do this...

Creatine: Monohydrate (whatever is also cheap). Mono is simple, cost effective, and works. It out performs Kre-Alkyln and can be added into just bout anything. Using Vitamin Shoppe brand right now. I cycle 4-6 weeks on and 4 weeks off. A loading phase is probably not necessary...but I do it anyway. So week 1 = 15g of creatine a day and weeks 2-6 are 5g a day.

*sh!t I probably don't need but use*

Vitamin D: 2000-5000IUs. I'm taking 2000 on top of the 600+ in the Pak cause it's winter here and even then I don't get enough sun cause I'm mostly Irish. Plus D is freakin anabolic. Seriously - I lift weights so I'm qualified to make that statement.

Pre-workout: (whatever works and whatever is on sale...again) I abuse stimulants like Philip Seamore Hoffman abuses cocaine...sorry "abused" cocaine. Too soon? Anyway my point is I get used to stuff real quick so I have various baggies of unmarked mystery powders lying around and occasionally grab samples and even RTDs (ready to drink). However I do like anything by VPX. Their Redline drinks and White Heat powder are almost as good as nose candy. But good luck getting em cause they have AMP Citrate in em and the FDA thinks that's scary cause USA Today did a write up. Though it's ok to eat transfats from fast food and high fructose corn syrup from sodas... I digress. I just got in some Olympus Labs Conqu3r Unleashed that I'm gonna try for today's squat session. After I go to bed...it's 12:55 right now. Also like BPI's Vortex (holla V!) for my light-medium days. On the list is Chaos & Pain's Cannibal Ferox - it's more potent than PCP but still not as potent as drinking my blood.

Adrenal Caps: to keep my adrenal glands healthy cause of what I wrote above...

Super Greens: usually if I'm gonna drink, have drank, am drunk, or it's the next day. Occasionally will use this. Not often though. Kinda lost interest since it didn't up my deadlift yo.

FYI - Pop's the Animal Stak and M-Stak is not a multi. It's a natural T and HGH booster. It can be stacked with the Pak though. The difference is the Stak is designed for most guys bulking and the M-Stak is geared for the "hard gainer".

#19 Vector300

Vector300

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationBerks County, Pennsylvania

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:10 AM

Also looking into some newer things on the market like Epicatechin and Laxogenin. Both all-natty for whatever that's worth nowadays and both look very promising for strength/recovery. Here's the one I plan on picking up and running after the holidays for about 8 weeks...

http://www.chaosandp...y-mass-builder/

I should note that I'm a big believer in aminos but I drink so much proteinz alone that I stopped taking an amino supp. I also like to mix my PWO (preworkout) in something like Gatorade if I haven't had any carbs yet in me or if it's a particularly grueling slaughter-fest as a simple carb/sugar solution. Does wonders.

I also usually drink a cup of green tea a day, eat lots a red meat (preferably Australians), and have lots of sex...sometimes with another person too.
  • Stu and UKoldguy like this

#20 Jumper

Jumper

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:42 PM

Holy Sh!t Vector...did you smash some pre workout JUST before typing that? I can feel the energy coming at me through the words!

Interesting reading what the lads are on...seems fairly consistent across the board.

I start off with a multi (Optimum Nutrition) and some fish oil. I believe this combo helps keep me pretty healthy...coming up five years with my current employer and now sick days to date.

I have a preworkout, I run the Musclepharm assault. I'll only take this if I'm only lifting. If I have any conditioning or wod I'll avoid it..it's horrible in that application. Just makes my legs heavy. Good for squatting though. A tub will last me a while. But most days I'll just do black coffee. When I'm drinking my coffee I pretend I'm Jack Reacher.

I have the Musclepharm combat whey protein. Quite often I'll have two different flavours, just to keep me sane. To be fair, their chocolate is nasty, but pretty much every other flavour is epic. Love the Cinnamon Bun flavour. I use that in my overnight oats, and it's fricken beautiful. I'm using far less whey than I used to, prob one or two day compared to what I used to as a gym rat.

All this talk of bum gas, when I was at my heaviest a couple of years ago I was eating 8 whole eggs as my pre gym meal....lets just say that is was a fairly lethal time in my life for those around me.

I have creatine as well, Inner Armour. I don't bother loading this, and generally run it consistently. Possibly linked to reducing dementia, which is a plus. I find this to be a cheap supplement that lasts ages.

I also have some xtend aminos, which I take for the intense wod type actives.

What I've started taking recently, which isn't really a supplement as such, it's called EZ breathe. It's made by a local company and contains natural oils and menthol crystals...few drops on your tongue and BAM! A slap in the face with a wet fish. It instantly opens the airways and feels like before you were breathing with Dustoff's elevation mask. Company is Savvy Touch, the guy who makes it is effectively a horse physio. I've met him, top bloke and he is one hell of a machine..50 years old and looks like Rambo in his prime.

Seems the older I get the less I feel the importance for the 'add on' supplements. Love my eggs and oats, and making super smoothies with fruits (banana, apples, berries, mango, pineapple) avocado and spinach.

Like Vector I eat a bit of red meat, but much prefer the kiwi stuff over the Aussie stuff....its way more alpha...
  • VidaMD and UKoldguy like this
Does it hurt? Good. Get it done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users