13 replies to this topic

#1 bbjoeyg

bbjoeyg

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

I'll step up and share what I've got at home. Since it's in my basement, I guess we can call me a BGA (Basement Gym Athlete). We only have a one-car garage, and the wife parks there, so I've got to make due with the space available. 

I started CF in the winter of 2014 at my local affiliate. I started getting my equipment in spring 2015. 

This workout area is nestled between my basement work shop and storage shelves, opposite the kids' play area.  The floor joists are 93" high, so the overhead room is a little tight for overhead movements and a lot of jump rope.

I started this project in Spring 2015, with the squat rack, Again Faster bar and plates, and a DIY pull-up bar (version 1.0). Today, I've grown it to include

• 320lbs of Again Faster plates
  • Again Faster 53lb# KBs
  • 15lb, 23lb random KBS off Craiglist
  • 25lb and 15lb DBs off Craigslist
  • an updated DIY pull-up bar (version 2.0)
  • C2 rower (thanks to IFTT and Craigslist)
  • DIY 18-24-30 plyo box
  • Ab Mat (unpictured)
  • EO3 DIY barbell jack (unpictured)
  • 20lb med ball (both EO3 DIY and Again Faster) (unpictured)
  • 35lb barbell for when my wife can to join me.

And of course no box is complete without Old Glory hanging.

This spring's project includes updating my kids' swingset for their age-appropriate activities as they grow, and making some functional fitness add-ons for the adults as well. I'm looking to install some uprights for muscle-up rings, pull-up bar, wall ball targets, and box jumps.

I'm happy I could share it with you.

Attached File  IMG_2090.JPG   164.11KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2091.JPG   118.27KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2092.JPG   128.42KB   0 downloads

• Jumper likes this

#2 UKoldguy

UKoldguy

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 2,721 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:45 PM

very nice..

My last word will probably be
"Whoops"
"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#3 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:12 PM

Good stuff!!

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#4 Jumper

Jumper

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:00 AM

Awesome!
Does it hurt? Good. Get it done.

#5 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:37 PM

Very cool

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#6 theDonnybrook

theDonnybrook

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:14 PM

Nice space.  What kind of barbell? Do you like the Again Faster plates?

#7 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 4,893 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:17 PM

Very nice!!

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#8 Amontgomery78th

Amontgomery78th

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:36 PM

I need to get me a squat rack.  Any one got a DIY for that?

It is not a matter of if something bad happens.  That is living in denial that evil exists.  It is a matter of when something bad comes knocking at your door.  Will you be ready?

-Me

"The sheep pretend the wolf will never visit, but the sheep dog lives for that day."  

-Lt Col Dave Grossman

#9 theDonnybrook

theDonnybrook

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:28 PM

Ask, and ye shall receive:

I planned on building one of these, but my space options may be limited.  Using the ideas for a possible new design for a squat stand, though.

• UKoldguy likes this

#10 bbjoeyg

bbjoeyg

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:03 PM

Nice space.  What kind of barbell? Do you like the Again Faster plates?

It's the AF Team Barbell. The plates are great. They do what I need them to do, and with the deal I got, they were less expensive than the guys from Ohio. Plus, I'm always one to go with the underdog, not the Goliath. 

#11 bbjoeyg

bbjoeyg

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:04 PM

I need to get me a squat rack.  Any one got a DIY for that?

I also looked into the DIY squat rack. You should also check out the racks/stands from Fringesport - they were in the running for me as well. 

#12 Vector300

Vector300

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationBerks County, Pennsylvania

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:20 AM

I also looked into the DIY squat rack. You should also check out the racks/stands from Fringesport - they were in the running for me as well.

I have one of Fringe Sports' racks. The Kip Cage to be exact, though I don't "kip". It's well built and the price was right. Plus FREE SHIPPING! I've beat the hell outta it and it still stands strong. I did bend one of the pin safeties though, just a little. Was doing rack pull/shrugs with close to 600# on it so it's whatever. Another bonus was I didn't have to mount it. I threw some sandbags on the rear brace and done. So I can kinda move it if I really need too. Only downside was when I first got it they forgot the screw pack. One email later - it showed up in about 5 business days. Also it's made in China but that's capitalism baby! And I whole heartedly support it. The fumes from the mysterious powder coating only make my lungs stronger!!!

Personally I think Rogue's stuff is beautiful and well crafted but over priced and kinda snobbish (this is coming from a label whore btw). A pitbull may love their new toy but they're gonna tear that sh!t up all the same. And we're all pits right? May as well not feel too bad bout it. I'd probably commit hari kari if I owned a fully equipped Rogue power rack/jungle gym thing and it got scratched. But I laugh and feel pride when I can make my Fringe rack weep! My 0.02 cents.
  • VidaMD likes this

#13 bbjoeyg

bbjoeyg

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:05 PM

Update. I wanted something more solid, yet gave me some more floor space for working out. I looked at the Rogue fold-away R3W, and the Pure Strength Slim Gym Rig. I decided to go with the Slim Gym (18") because the rig got me close enough to the wall (18"; Rogue was 24" or 40") to provide me more space, and the orientation of the pull up bar also brought me away from the wall (again, Rogue was 24" or 40"), so I can freely kip. Anchoring this to the wall and floor made it much more stable than what the R3W can do. Downside is that the hole spacing through the bench area isn't Westside, and the thing never folds away - but is way more stable. In my basement, the floor joists are 93" from the floor, and the first floor is 105". I have just enough room for C2B pull ups, and all overhead movements, so long as I thread the plates and KBs into the void between joists. WBs are low, but oh well. 

Album: Basement Barbells 2.0
6 images
0 comments

I'm also planning on adding some PU/MU bars, a rope climb, and a WB target to my daughter's swing set this summer, so wife and I can WOD at home on weekend mornings. 

• Pops likes this

#14 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,378 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:22 PM

Beautiful setup!

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users