1Man1Garage

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:06 AM

Did a good bit of cardio today.

Strapped on the Ruck ( GR2 from GoRuck) and put my 4 Bricks in- I need to weight my Ruck and see if I want to add more weight later on in my training.  I think a solid 30/35 pounds would be a good goal.  I'll post on the equipment suggestions to find out what others are doing.

App says 4.22 mile trail run at 15:44 Pace  (1:06:19) 200 ft difference between elevation changes.  First time out on the trails around my house and it was extremely wet out there after all this crazy weather we have been having down South.  I decided to throw in 100 squats and 100 pushups with the Ruck on around the 1.5 mile mark.  I'd like to get the time down 10 minutes for a nice 4 mile 50 minute trail run with the Ruck.

I saw an article recently on Mens Health that talked a bit more of Rucking- If I'm allowed to I'll attach the link if anyone else is interested.  Basically it says you can burn up to 3x as many calories in a 30 min walk, I figure even if I'm burning 1.5xs the calories I usually would then the extra weight is worth it.  I've got goals and if a Ruck will help me reach them faster then consider me a Rucker!

Getting out on the trails made me realize I think I want to log at least 500 miles with the Ruck on this year-4 down 496 to go.  I think as far as distance goes approx. 9 miles is what I'll be looking to reach this year.   TBH I hate running, but for some reason being on the trail with a Ruck on and 1 headphone in was nice.

Sunday is a football day so unless I get in the gym after the 4 o'clock games I might make it another stretch and roll day.

• Jumper likes this

#22 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 5,530 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

Hard core my man. Love it!

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#23 1Man1Garage

1Man1Garage

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

Had to get a quick workout in while the kiddo was down for a nap

Warm Up

3 Rds of Rowing 30seconds on 30seconds off - 830 m

Stretched

30 situps

30 squats with just the bar 45#

3 Rds of Rowing 30/30- 799 m

This felt like a good quick warm up to get me ready, need to get my rowing back up to form it felt like I was getting my butt kicked on those last 30 seconds on.

Workout- For time 

15-10-5

Cleans- 95#

DL-115#  (I've only got 1 Bar so I thought approx. 75% of the 155# of weight I do have was a decent weight to lift)  

Situps (Abmat)

Pull-ups

Slam Balls 20#

Time 15:55

Cool Down-

Quick 500 m row

I felt pretty good on the Cleans still working on my form and watching videos on YouTube.  On the DLs I really tried to maintain my form and pull- I watched some videos last night and wanted to maintain better form now so that I can start pulling more weight later.  The place I struggled most was Pull Ups-  I did as many strict as possible and then had to do a little knee lift/leg kick to get me through the rest.  First set I hit 6 and then broke them up in 2 or 3s and then had to finish 14 and 15 doing singles.  Second set I did 4 and then broke them up in 2s.  Last set I thought I would get through them faster if I only did 2 and then singles the rest of the way.  Overall enjoyed the workout need to work on my Stamina and PULLUPS! I've never been good at pull-ups but want to get better at them so I have to force to add them into my workouts.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what lifts I can work on to help me with pull-ups?

Happy Sunday All

• Hammer likes this

#24 Hammer

Hammer

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:24 PM

Doing negatives, or getting your chin up to the bar and holding it there as long as you can, controlling the decent until your upper arms break parallel.  Then hop back up and do it again for about 5 reps.  I wouldn't do these any more than about 2 time per week.  

If you can do at least 5 strict pull ups, put that ruck on with a light weight so start.  Work up to being able to do 5 strict pull ups, increase weight in the ruck, rinse and repeat.  

If you have bands you could use those also but I've found that people using those mostly become dependent on them instead of using them as a progression assistance device.

"Hey all you Vegetarians....  My food poops on your food."

"Now, get off my lawn!" :angry:

#25 Poppy G

Poppy G

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:55 PM

I found the best exercise for doing more pull ups is...... Pull ups.

On training days when you dont have to do pull ups do pull ups.

What ever exercise you are doing and you have to stop or you have finished your set then do a few pull ups.

They dont have to be 100% just do them. Swap them around for chins or palms facing each other. A few of us Silverbacks Throw Pullups in as Supersets and if you read our logs you will see we started low and slowly built up a pretty strong grounding of them. Many be hitting 100 and over in a session.

And yes we do speak monkey when doing them lol

Oh Oh Oh Oh..

• 1Man1Garage, Pops and Hammer like this
My last word will probably be
"Whoops"

#26 1Man1Garage

1Man1Garage

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:40 AM

Thank Hammer and UKOldguy-

Think Ill take both your suggestions and add in more pullups.  When I'm at a Brick and Mortar I'll try and knock out 15/20, and if I'm in my gym (Still working on a name) I'll weight the ruck and throw in another 5/7.5 lbs and work my way up to 5 strict and alternate with the negatives.

Hammer I feel the same way about the bands.  I don't want to become dependent on bands and I don't own any at the moment and would rather not buy those and build my Plyo Box.

Thanks Again!

• 1Man1Garage likes this

#27 Jumper

Jumper

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:46 AM

Mate are you hitting 800m in 90 secs of rowing??? That's epic!!

As for pull-ups, as the lads above mentioned just do more. As for an assistance lift, bent over barbell rows are pretty special.
  • Hammer likes this
Does it hurt? Good. Get it done.

#28 1Man1Garage

1Man1Garage

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:59 AM

Jumper it's more like 3 minutes. Dampers on about a 7
30 seconds at 35/37 strokes a minute - ON
30 seconds at 29/30 strokes a minute - OFF

I wish I could get 800 in 90 seconds. I did turn over a 1:42 500 which is one of my better 500 times.

Thanks for the bent over BB row suggestion. I'll start adding those into my warm ups to get them into my routine quickly.

I've got to do a better job of programming and understanding what that really means.

Once I get a bit more weight in my gym I may go towards a 5-3-1 workout for a bit of time.

My overall goal for Feb 1 is to transform my diet. First 3 days have been an eating roller coaster- holidays/ days off really mess me up.

Has anyone else read 21 day sugar detox book? Thoughts?

#29 Jumper

Jumper

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:16 AM

Ah...sort of a sprint/jog approach? That sounds more human...
Once you're confident with the lift don't be scared to go heavy with it. It's a good compound one.

And good luck for the diet! The struggle is real. I haven't read the book, but I did switch from Pepsi to Pepsi Max...is that the same thing?
  • Pops and Poppy G like this
Does it hurt? Good. Get it done.

#30 1Man1Garage

1Man1Garage

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:12 PM

I think your switch from Pepsi to Pepsi Max is better then me killing a big bag of whatever candy is laying around the house.

#31 steviesch

steviesch

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

Rowing fartlek - nasty - and your "recovery" is not hanging about! The rowing session looks a toughie to me! Treat yourself and try the 30 secs flat out and 30 secs complete stop/rest - see which session you "enjoy" the most.

I found the lat pull down machine useful for improving pull up ability - I did two rounds of OMOB type reps..but if your gym is busy the other users might get upset at the time you spend on the machine...week three you are doing 1 rep 15 minute EMOM after your main set.

I think my lovely wife might have the sugar detox book you mention - i will check it out - i think the author was a very attractive Australian lady...worth "reading" the book just to look at the pictures! :-)

#32 1Man1Garage

1Man1Garage

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

Yesterdays Workout was done In a Brick and Mortar.  I did an athletic conditioning class using 10lb weights and an old car tire.

Warm up was 3 laps on their track so .33 miles

25 Min Partner AMRAP

1)  1 Lap                                               (2) Tire Pull unders

1) 20 Squat to press #10 dumbbells     (2) Bosu Burpess

1) 10 Tire Wood Chops                        (2) Mt. Climbers

This workout was done something like this:

Partner #1 would run a lap (45 seconds to 1 minute) while Partner #2 did Tire Pull unders.  Once Partner #1 got back they did the Tire Pull unders while Partner #2 did their lap. Once both completed each exercise Partner #1 moved to 20 squat to presses and Parter #2 did Bosu Burpees.  Once 20 Squat to presses were completed you switched and #1 did Bosu and #2 did 20 squat to presses. Then once each completed each exercise you moved to #1 doing 10 Tire Wood Chops and #2 doing Mt. Climbers, once the Wood chops were done you switched.  After all of that was completed, each doing all 6 exercises you started all over again.

My Partner and I moved through three full sets and I got through about 2 Bosu Burpees before time was called.

After that AMRAP we did another "Partner" workout-

1) Plank             (2) Glider Drags

1) Squat & Hold  (2) Caterpillars

Same style workout while #1 was doing Plank #2 did Glider Drags.  Glider Drags are where you put the pads on your feet and use your hands to pull your body, in this case roughly 15 yards turned around and pulled yourself back.  We did the Plank and Gliders for 2 rounds and the Squat and Caterpillars for 1.  The focus was mostly on core and coulder work.

Lastly we did some weird leg raise exercise where a song was played and when it said "Bring Sally up" you raised your legs and when it said "Bring Sally down" you lowered them to approx 6" off the floor and held it until it said bring them up again.   This lasted for I would guess 2 minutes which seemed like 4 or 5.  I wasn't able to get through the whole song without dropping my legs for a moment, but I didnt leave and finished up the song.

This was a tough workout that really felt like the focus was on the shoulders.  The Pull unders and Wood chops aren't a typical exercise I do so it was a good change to learn a couple new movements.

Tire Pull Unders are highly suggested to combine movements while still getting in pushups.  Basically you start with the tire on your left or right side laying on the floor, you do one full pushup, and then take the opposite hand and PULL the tire to the other side, allowing you to do another full push-up.  I can honestly say I'm going to try and go to a car place this weekend and see if they have any they are going to be throwing away.  Thes and the wood chops will be added to my AMRAPS or 21-15-9 routines to "spice it up a bit".

I've got another class today at 12- I'll try to post that workout right after and what I plan to do tonight.

• VidaMD and Poppy G like this

#33 1Man1Garage

1Man1Garage

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:10 PM

1-5-16 Class- Athletic Conditioning

Warm up was Half a Mile

50 Air Squats
40 Pushups
30 Second Plank
20 up up down downs
10 Curtsy Lunges (Both Legs) =20 Total
.33 Mile Run

50 Burpees (CRUSHED ME)
40 Reverse Lunges (Both Legs)= 80 Total
30 Cross Body Mt Climbers (Both Legs)= 60 Total
20 High Knees (Both Legs)=40 Total
10 Inch Worms
.33 Mile Run

50 Jump Lunges (Both Legs)= 100 Total
40 Plie Squats
30 Knee to Elbow Plansk (Both Legs)= 60 Total
20 1 Leg Dead Lifts 12# Dumbbells (Both Legs)= 40 Total
10 1 Leg Glute lifts (Both Legs)= 20 Total
.33 Mile Run

There was a Bonus section but I literally ran out of time (I had to get back to work) The only person I know got through the whole Bonus section is a guy that does IronMans and I have put him on notice that I will 1 day beat him in whatever class we have that day.

I suffered through this whole class- stopped rarely but moved slow through the Burpees. I put my head down and just kept moving through it, with that being said I'm excited to go into the Garage tonight and work on some OHP, Squats, Rows, and PULLUPS! If I can find something stupid on my airwaves only TV maybe I'll go out for a nice 2500+ m row tonight.

Tonight I did:
Warm up-
20 shoulder shrugs 95#
8 push presses 95#
6 pull ups

Workout-
3x
20 shoulder shrugs 95#
8 push presses 95# +1 to get it on back +1 to get it off back
12 squats 95#
10 standing rows 30#dumbbells
3 pull ups- 3 chin ups and doing negatives on when's where I had to split them up
2500m row #5 damper setting 10:18 moderate pace
  • Jumper and Poppy G like this

#34 Poppy G

Poppy G

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:27 PM

My god man that sounds like a beast of a day.... Well done dude , head down or head up you did it :)

• 1Man1Garage likes this
My last word will probably be
"Whoops"

#35 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:46 AM

I had to eat 1600 mg's of Motrin just reading this ! Nasty dude !

Cant wait till you go up against your iron man nemesis . Sounds like a 2016 goal ?  ;) 

#36 1Man1Garage

1Man1Garage

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:53 PM

Stu defeating Mr. Iron man is one of my 2016 goals- He's a good guy and always gives me hell when he doesn't think Im working hard enough.

3rd Athletic conditioning class of the week

Todays Workout:

Warm up

- Maybe 2 mintues of joggin in place and stretching a bit (Trainer assumes you warmed up before class)

Workout:

3 rounds for each group of Exercise   I used 35# total for my BB work and 12# dumbbells unless it states otherwise

60 Single Unders

12 Clapping Push-ups 

20 BB Snatches

20 BB Sumo Squats (2 pulses @ Bottom)

20 Oblique Power Lunges- (think Russian twist with jumping lunges)

20 One Leg Box Jumps-  Approx 10-12 inches off the ground (10 Each leg)

10 OHP with 4 Mt climbers each

20 Dumbbell Swings 20#

20 DB Fly Leg Lifts ( Really stretches you out and works your core)

20 Abcircles

20 Oblique crunches

20 DB Situps (1- 12#) Raise over head at top    (Didn't finish last set due to time- made it to 10)

30 BB Squats- 10 wide, 10 normal, 10 narrow

10 Hand Burpees -   Set 2 and 3 did Box jump burpees

12 Step Planks-  think Up Up Down Down using the "box jump"

All the exercises were done as a group in this class and class is roughly 45 minutes long.  I was about 2/3 of the way down with the last set when he said clean it up.  I think its the bullett proof coffee or maybe my stubbornness but I finished the last set up to finish the class.

Solid workout- could have gone a bit heavier on the BB but good to know next time.

#37 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:43 AM

What do think of bullet proof coffee ? I really want to try it .

#38 1Man1Garage

1Man1Garage

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:55 AM

Stu I hated black coffee. However I started adding the unsalted butter at first, and found out Starbucks will serve you buttered coffeee. I started adding coconut oil a few months ago. I really have started to enjoy the taste and do feel like it gives me a bit more energy.

I think you should totally go for it!

#39 1Man1Garage

1Man1Garage

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:34 AM

Rest day- wasn't happy about it. Will try to get in a WOD/ workout I make up and get a swim in tomorrow

#40 1Man1Garage

1Man1Garage

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:42 PM

Good Day back in the gym

Warm up:

Simple stretching and handful of quick movements to get me ready for the Workout I found

8---6  -7 (I wanted 8 but because I had planned to do something after the workout I changed it to 6, felt like 6 wasnt enough SUCK so I finished with 7 Rounds)

14 cal Row (Last set took me 40 seconds)

8 Wall Balls 20#

6 Bar Hangs with lifting my knees as high as possible

15 KB Swings 40#

18:55

I modified the workout with the Bar hangs insted of Toes to Bar because it isnt a movement I've done and my core isn't that strong yet.  I also reduced the weight on the KBs as I only really use the 25 in my garage and I wanted to have a good balance between toughness, and making it through the 15 swings unbroken each time.   Rd 6 had me sucking wind, Rd 7 had me Embracing the Suck.  Enjoyed this one.  I did a quick cool down to stretch my arms and did a couple assited pistol squats just bc.

After all of that I jumped int he pool and Swam 500 or 550 Meters.  I find it really hard to keep track because I dont have music and I find swimming pretty boring.  I had to rest a couple of seconds between each 25m lap but finished in about 16 minutes.  Haven't been in the pool since Early April but it felt pretty good, wasn't flopping around to bad.  Look forward to adding this into my Friday routine and seeing if I can get up to 750-800 m in 16/17 minutes.

I typically try to mention what I plan to do for my next workout, mostly because if I put it out there I feel as though I need to hold myself to what I am putting "on paper".  I see a good RUCK coming this weekend.

• Stu and Poppy G like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users