13 replies to this topic

#1 NLgaragegym

NLgaragegym

Fitness Insurgent

• Moderators
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Canada

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

I hate to be "thay guy" who asks the stupid questions but...

• Besides a barbell is there anything else I need to do OMOB (squat stands, bench, etc.)?
  • Approximately how long does it take to complete the workouts?
  • Is this a program that can be used in conjunction with regular training or will you definitely need your rest days?

• darrelljo3, vondasu1 and seanvi2 like this

#2 SteveK77

SteveK77

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:40 AM

Not necessary but a squat rack is sure helpful. Suppose you could clean the weight and front squat but IMO if you are doing a LP program and aren't doing squats you are missing the boat.

I find 30 to 45 minutes most days. I'm getting old so I do ~20 min of mobility first so I don't have time for much else.

If you get the deluxe he sends you 6 weeks of workouts. I have enough energy to do them but usually not enough time. The base workouts are pretty tough so you'd be fine either way. I do 5 days a week so I usually work in 2 shorter met cons during the week and try to do 1 longer one on the weekend.
  • Bobby0 likes this

#3 541

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:44 AM

Same here. OMOB is about 45 min for me. I'm really focused on strength gains, so I am cutting back on metcons. I do four days of OMOB and two short metcon days.

#4 Bama

Bama

Zombie Apocalypse Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:02 AM

I do the same as 541. Spend the money and buy a good barbell. I made the mistake of buying one at Dicks and it didn't last. Squat stands are really nice to have.

#5 Gentleman Gamer

Gentleman Gamer

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, AUS

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:07 AM

• Barbell
  • Chalk
  • Wrist Wraps
  • Bench & Squat Stands
  • Bench
  • Bumper Plates or Normal Plates

These are the recommended("optional") items - straight out of the OMOB guide.

~A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.~

Pooh Bear

#6 NLgaragegym

NLgaragegym

Fitness Insurgent

• Moderators
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Canada

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

Thanks guys.  Once I need a break from my current routine I'm going to give this one a go.

#7 wamplerchris

wamplerchris

Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMarysville, Ohio

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:35 AM

Ok....I am a newbie with OMOB, so bare with me.

Starting Version 1.

Squat

Deadlift

Press

Bench

Should I be doing all 4 lifts every workout?  Do I do 1 EMOM every workout and rotate EMOM's throughout the week?

I am sure I will have more questions as I get going.  I just want to make sure I am doing this properly.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

#8 541

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

1 lift per day. If you must do two, only do one lift for EMOM.

#9 Geese

Geese

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:33 AM

Hey all,

Another question about OMOB. I've read that all you need is a barbell, plates, squat stand, etc. Nothing else. Do the workouts involve bodyweight exercises (pull ups, push ups, HSPU's, squats, etc) along with them? Or is it strictly the lift? Thanks!

#10 Gentleman Gamer

Gentleman Gamer

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, AUS

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:57 AM

Apart from whatever you do for a warm-up and cooldown, it's strictly lifting. The deluxe version of OMOB does come with a conditioning program which is programed to work in conjunction with OMOB, and without going into details, the conditioning program workouts are very varied, they are very much in the vein of the Crossfit WOD.

~A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.~

Pooh Bear

#11 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

I bought the deluxe version specifically for the conditioning program.  I can tell you that trying to crank through OMOB and then the conditioning in one workout is tough.  Bank on 60+ minutes depending on your OMOB rotation and warmup.  Example: On my deadlift day, the conditioning WOD was OHS/sit up 21-15-9 (95lb/75lb) I gave myself 10 minutes to stretch and workout my legs before hitting the WOD - you can move them around though so you're not taxing a muscle group too much.  Looking over the 6 wk program, there is a fair amount of running/rowing/biking and body weight movements.

As stated above, DIY squat/bench stands, homemade bench, bumper and iron plates, 1 good barbell.  Rogue sells off their used CF Games equipment and you can get a good bar for a reasonable price.

• NLgaragegym likes this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#12 Kerinsp

Kerinsp

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

Quick question,
At the end of the 4 week cycle do you measure your 1 RM's again before starting cycle 2 of OMOB?

#13 541

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:42 AM

Quick question,
At the end of the 4 week cycle do you measure your 1 RM's again before starting cycle 2 of OMOB?

For each new cycle, add 5 lbs to your training max (training max = 90% of your 1 rep max). 10 lbs for lower body work. Even if you think you can go more, don't. You're getting stronger. Over do it and you're smoked then sliding backwards fast.

I tested my max too frequently. Try doing a max check every 3 or 4 cycles. Rep maxes are under rated and are a great way to assess your gains. Plug your numbers into the OMOB 1RM calculator to get the estimate on your max.

If you make a 5 lb jump every cycle, that's a 60 lb increase in a year! That's remarkable and cannot be rushed. Slow and steady.

#14 Jerred

Jerred

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

For each new cycle, add 5 lbs to your training max (training max = 90% of your 1 rep max). 10 lbs for lower body work. Even if you think you can go more, don't. You're getting stronger. Over do it and you're smoked then sliding backwards fast.

I tested my max too frequently. Try doing a max check every 3 or 4 cycles. Rep maxes are under rated and are a great way to assess your gains. Plug your numbers into the OMOB 1RM calculator to get the estimate on your max.

If you make a 5 lb jump every cycle, that's a 60 lb increase in a year! That's remarkable and cannot be rushed. Slow and steady.

This! 

There is a big difference between using OMOB for one cycle and a long term approach. Long-term is best!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users