Gentleman Gamer

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, AUS

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:20 AM

Hey all, 

Just saying hello and seeing if there are any others living the paleo lifestyle.  :)

~A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.~

Pooh Bear

#2 Jerred

Jerred

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:34 AM

90% of the time! 

I do drink a lot of raw milk. 

#3 jpera149

jpera149

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNWI Indiana

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:25 AM

Im trying to get started with the paleo lifestyle and have been doing more and more recipes. Its the dairy part that is hard to break.

#4 Gentleman Gamer

Gentleman Gamer

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, AUS

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

I wish I could get raw milk, the Australian govt has made it illegal to sell it. There was a store that sold it for a while, then they got whacked with a $350k fine because of it. :o

I found bread was the hardest thing to give up. I used to bake bread, bagels and al sorts of wheat/bready things for the family. For the first 6 months after I switched to paleo, I must have tried every single paleo bread and pancake recipe I could...then I gave up and eventually the craving go away. I feel your pain about dairy, i love Greek yoghurt and milk, but I have it sparingly now, I've replaced milk with Keffir Milk which I make myself.

Pooh Bear

#5 Manley

Manley

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationClarksville, TN

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:46 AM

I'm with Jerred: 90% with some dairy filtered in, some whey protein as an 'emergency' calorie source, and the occasional departure when I am eating out. 

When I'm at a restaurant and try to 'modify' the menu, I always feel like that scene in 'Get Shorty" (I think) where someone says "Celebrities can never order directly from the menu." I tip well, though.

When coaching folks on nutrition, I never push it on them. I do point out the results that I am many others have gotten from it.

By the way, anyone who can get to Lexington, KY on 19 October should see Sarah Fragoso and Jason Seib at J&M Strength & Conditioning, Jim Laird and Molly Galbraith's place. Should be good stuff. Jim and Molly are great folks running a great facility and both have seen major health improvements, as well.

#6 FrankRicard

FrankRicard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

I'm trying hard and am happy as long as I can maintain 90% paleo.  I had a lot of success early in the year with a paleo lifestyle (lost 30lbs) but fell off the wagon, down a ravine, into a river and over a waterfall after vacation this summer.  

Does anyone else struggle with that "all or nothing" mindset/situation?  I seem to have one desert and everything goes to crap.  I feel 100% better when I eat clean/paleo but what should be one small slip often becomes weeks of torture.   

• Audrey Frazier likes this

You will never outrun your fork...

#7 Manley

Manley

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

--Gentleman Gamer, bread was such a staple of mine but I found it surprisingly easy to give up. Greek yogurt and milk were a different story. Kefir and almond milk are my substitutes now. I do have to get some kefir 'beads' so I can make it myself like you do. Not sure why I haven't yet. 

--FrankRicard, that is a very common reaction. You are certainly not alone. Some folks do quite well with a 'cheat' and others find that it destroys any pretense of self control.

Programming 'cheats' early on may help. By programming them, you acknowledge that a particular meal is not going to be perfect but that the next meal will be. Breaks the all-or-nothing mindset for some folks. Trick is to plan them in advance and stick to the plan at first. No impromptu cheats in the early going, but eventually you will be able to make compromises when out with a crowd, travelling, etc., without it turning into a catastrophe.

• Gentleman Gamer likes this

#8 Gentleman Gamer

Gentleman Gamer

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, AUS

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:47 AM

Programming 'cheats' early on may help. By programming them, you acknowledge that a particular meal is not going to be perfect but that the next meal will be. Breaks the all-or-nothing mindset for some folks. Trick is to plan them in advance and stick to the plan at first. No impromptu cheats in the early going, but eventually you will be able to make compromises when out with a crowd, travelling, etc., without it turning into a catastrophe.

I found this worked best when I first started out trying to get fit. I would write it down in my calendar, I'd pick a day of the week and schedule a cheat meal. I made sure to keep it a cheat meal and not a cheat day so it would usually be my dinner. Having that cheat meal helped me to stay sane because I had something to look forward to.

Sad to say that I have stopped this since I've gone paleo, and now I've found that I can very easily slip and turn it into a cheat day. I do feel awful by the end, and I mentally kick myself back on the straight and narrow for a week or two...and then it happens again.  :blink:

I really should restart this and make it a habit once more.

Pooh Bear

#9 Manley

Manley

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

Yes, if you find that an impromptu cheat slips out of control, putting them on your calendar should definitely help. The goal, of course, it to get where you don't need a cheat, but can 'stray' comfortably in certain situations without losing the path. 

One other thing I tell folks is that it's just food. You didn't get out of shape in one meal, you didn't get back in shape in one meal, and slipping up for one meal isn't going to destroy everything you've worked for.

Once a meal is over, it's over (well, technically your body still has several hours to deal with it, but let's not quibble). Look ahead to the next one and be happy you can afford food. ;)

I say that to people so often that they echo it while I am saying it now. Hopefully it is useful to them...

• Gentleman Gamer likes this

#10 Sara

Sara

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

I just can't leave peanutt butter...i'm paleo in every other way..not dairy even but peanutt butter....good source of protein and insaturated fats, low in carbs...seems good to me

#11 Kanegaroos

Kanegaroos

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:12 AM

I just can't leave peanutt butter...i'm paleo in every other way..not dairy even but peanutt butter....good source of protein and insaturated fats, low in carbs...seems good to me

Have you tried Almond Butter? I ended up loving the taste of almond butter better than peanut butter!
  • Sara likes this

#12 Jerred

Jerred

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:16 AM

Have you tried Almond Butter? I ended up loving the taste of almond butter better than peanut butter!

Where do you get your almond butter? Just wondering if anyone has a way to get it in a cost-effective type of way. 

#13 rogueakula

rogueakula

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationKingsland, Ga

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

Are you guys married, and if you are is your spouse onboard with this?  I have mentioned a paleo diet to her, however she is not interested in it at all.  It will be difficult, if not impossible to make two separate dinners as well as something for our daughter as well.  Any tips would be great.  Thanks.

#14 Sara

Sara

Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:49 AM

Where do you get your almond butter? Just wondering if anyone has a way to get it in a cost-effective type of way. 

I think i may try but i need to do it by myself..as Jerred says where can i get it? notice i'm from Spain....and all this stuff is not very common here, not even the peanutt butter...one ends making it at home =) I have to try almond. I'll tell you guys!

• Kanegaroos likes this

#15 Kanegaroos

Kanegaroos

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

I buy my almond butter from Trader Joes. They are the only place I can get the Raw Almond Butter, which has only 1 ingredient: Raw Almonds. They recently raised the price to $5.99 a jar (16oz), and they can barely keep it on the shelves.

#16 Kanegaroos

Kanegaroos

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

Are you guys married, and if you are is your spouse onboard with this?  I have mentioned a paleo diet to her, however she is not interested in it at all.  It will be difficult, if not impossible to make two separate dinners as well as something for our daughter as well.  Any tips would be great.  Thanks.[/size]

I am married. When I first started Paleo, my husband didn't want anything to do with it... I gradually made substitutions here & there and he got used to it. He still drinks regular whole milk, but I drink almond milk. But he no longer uses tortillas for his tacos! (Just for the record, I am not 100% Paleo.) I still enjoy the foods I love, (Pizza, Ice Cream etc.) just not as often as I used to. I think the important thing is to just try to eat clean, whole, natural foods as often as possible, but still enjoy the (not so clean) foods in moderation. I think you'll find that once you eat cleaner, you'll see a difference in your workouts, energy levels, etc., which will in turn motivate you to keep eating clean! :)

#17 Gentleman Gamer

Gentleman Gamer

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, AUS

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:46 PM

You can make any nut butter easy enough. Buy the nuts of your choice and drop as many as you want/can into a food processor. Process until it turns to butter, depending on your processor it can happen quickly or within 10-15mins. You can tell when it turned because it literally turns into a paste. TIP: I found that adding a tbs of coconut oil to the mixture will give you a smoother/wetter consistency, otherwise it tends to be a touch dry.

If you can to spruce it up, add salt, cinnamon or whatever else you like for some extra flavoring :)

• Kanegaroos likes this

Pooh Bear

#18 541

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:30 AM

I buy my almond butter from Trader Joes. They are the only place I can get the Raw Almond Butter, which has only 1 ingredient: Raw Almonds. They recently raised the price to $5.99 a jar (16oz), and they can barely keep it on the shelves.

I get my almonds at Aldi's. Oven roasted and salted. Using my nutribullet, I add olive oil and almonds until I have the consistency I want. Maybe add some honey. A little goes a long way. Doing this method I can get almond butter at 1/3 the cost for an 8 oz jar.
  • Bobby0 likes this

#19 Kanegaroos

Kanegaroos

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:43 AM

541, what is a nutribullet? I have a Ninja, will it work in that? I think I should try this, but I like just raw almonds, so would I just thow them in & blend?

#20 541

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

Same thing! Give it a shot. Add olive oil and honey to your liking.
  • Kanegaroos likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users