31 replies to this topic

#1 tpalmiter

tpalmiter

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:49 PM

My daughter's are both participating in a 30 minute per day reading challenge and have decided that daddy should join them. I am open to any suggestions but am looking for a good book on nutrition or endurance training. I have googled these but there are so many available I am hoping someone can suggest one that they have read.
  • DwayneMus, aidaes16, AntoineTulk and 10 others like this

#2 1Man1Garage

1Man1Garage

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:18 PM

I've been working on an ebook called  "The Garage Gym Athlete".  I'm a little over half way through and its a real good read.  You should check it out  :D

Not on any of the topics you mentioned:  All time favorite book " Among the Thugs" 

https://www.amazon.c...ref_=mt_kindle 

• tpalmiter likes this

#3 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:01 PM

I don't have much on endurance but I read CHI running and Performance Nutrition by Matt Fitzgerald once upon a time and found them pretty interesting.

• tpalmiter and UndeadQuartet like this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#4 Stu

Stu

Hard(est) to Kill

• Moderators
  • 5,014 posts
  • LocationFranklin County , Va

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

You guys read books? Without pictures?
  • 1Man1Garage, Pops, tpalmiter and 1 other like this

Sua Sponte ! Now Get off my lawn ! :angry:

#5 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:27 PM

You guys read books? Without pictures?

I just put them under my pillow....  Osmosis is real my friends.

• Stu and tpalmiter like this

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and are more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

#6 jpera149

jpera149

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNWI Indiana

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:21 AM

If you are looking for technical books, I have found they are quite hard to read all the way through. I have found that whenever I have to travel for work, I find some motivational books which then gets me all pumped up to work harder and learn more by looking up specific things in the technical books. Two of my favorite books that were great reads were "first" the rich froning biography. Just learning where the fittest man in history gets his drive and everything is amazing to read. Also another good read is "spartan up" by Joe DeSena the founder and owner of spartan race. That guy is straight out crazy with some of the stories in that book. Just my two cents on something that keeps you going if you are going to be reading 30 min a day. Just a warning though, either one of these, I doubt you put it down after 30 min and turns into an hour.
  • Pops and tpalmiter like this

#7 tpalmiter

tpalmiter

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:29 PM

We made a trip to the library yesterday afternoon, I scanned the shelves real quick and came up with these 4. My 30 minutes last night was spent on Eating Animals.....

The aerobics program for total well-being : exercise, diet, emotional balance
Cooper, Kenneth H.

Food matters : a guide to conscious eating with more than 75 recipes
Bittman, Mark.

The best things in life : a guide to what really matters
Hurka, Thomas, 1952-

Eating animals
Foer, Jonathan Safran, 1977-

#8 1Man1Garage

1Man1Garage

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

I don't know about anyone else but I expect no less then 400 word essays on each of these titles.

I've read Spartan Up as well and I thought it was a good book- but I think I read it the first week it was out and for some reason I was expecting more.  I can't really say what that more was since it was just about 2 years ago.  I'll have to go find it and give it another read and see what I think now.

I've always enjoyed Malcolm Gladwells stuff-  it at least gets you thinking about different things that you may have never considered before.

• VidaMD and tpalmiter like this

#9 bigskies

bigskies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:13 PM

I just joined, and gee ---- I'm already feeling all warm and fuzzy!

Three thoughts:

"Perfecting Paleo" -- Ashley Tudor (Victory Belt Publishing)

-- Honest to God, I've bought this book four times and returned it three times due to the section titled "Your Body, Your Rules".  This is close to half of the text and is devoted to a plethora (19 tests, categorized as "easy", "intermdediate", and "advanced", pigeonholed as relating to food and/or hormones and or activity, and rated according to Free, $, $$, or $$$) of monitoring and testing you can do to more deeply understand your body's workings.   I figured that this just ain't me, babe...........but throughout there are SO many insights that I just keep coming back to it.

"Progress" -- Chris Moore (Daily Books, available through Barbell Shrugged)

-- One of three terrifically engaging books by this guy, who is probably right at the top of a very short list of "gotta meet" people for me.  Insightful, supportive, and outside-the-box, with nifty photos and original graphics (favorites: "What counts" and "Symptoms of the aged athlete").  Buy all three books ("Get Change" and "Way Past Strong" are the other two) from Barbell Shrugged at a "bundle" rate, and be a richer person because of it.  As Mr Moore might well say  "SIPLIFTSMILE"  (Buy the book to get the reference!)

"The Unbreakable Runner" -- T.J. Murphy (Velo Press)

Enjoy that sweet time with your kiddos!

• Jumper, Stu and tpalmiter like this

#10 Jumper

Jumper

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:16 PM

Welcome Bigskies! Head over to introductions and tell us your life story and then straight to Do Point for the May wod.

I'm a fan of Chris Moore so will have to check those books out.

As for reading, I'm a Jack Reacher fan myself...
  • VidaMD and tpalmiter like this
Does it hurt? Good. Get it done.

#11 VidaMD

VidaMD

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationSW WI

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:48 PM

OK - lets dive into some fiction then

anything by Larry Correia - Monster Hunter (Z reminds me of a certain Minotaur that's around these parts, if you've read the series you know the reference), Son of the Black Sword

Of course Tom Clancy - Jack Ryan series and pretty much all his books

Jack Reacher - will have to check out that series

• tpalmiter likes this

#12 tpalmiter

tpalmiter

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:37 AM

I haven't been to great on getting a half hour a day in, have spent about an hour each on food matters and eating animals, they are interesting but can not really get in to them.

• Stu likes this

#13 JSRRR

JSRRR

Fitness Insurgent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:47 PM

Better than Steroids by Dr Willey is a cool book I'm about to start. I heard him as a guest on a podcast by power athlete HQ. It sounds interesting about food timing around workouts and hormone optimization. He's also a Dr who lifts so that's cool too.

#14 jay8anks

jay8anks

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:48 PM

Some of my favorite books: Tripping Over the Truth, Move Your DNA, Spartan Up!, Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain, The Bulletproof Diet, The 4-Hour Body, Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, Born to Run, Eat Move Sleep

A little iffy, but might make for a good book: Meditative Fitness  (the audiobook was a little slow). Author is a Crossfit meditation guru.

On my list to read, but haven't read yet: Lift: Fitness Culture, from Naked Greeks and Acrobats to Jazzercise and Ninja Warriors (also a Crossfit guy).

#15 jay8anks

jay8anks

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:09 PM

Oh yeah. Diet Cults: The Surprising Fallacy at the Core of Nutrition Fads and a Guide to Healthy Eating for the Rest of Us   I don't totally agree with this guy on everything, but it is good to get different viewpoints.

And Primal Endurance: Escape Chronic Cardio and Carbohydrate Dependency, and Become a Fat-Burning Beast!

OK, between the two, I lean toward Primal Endurance. But, again, not always good to get stuck in your own echo chamber. Diet Cults is probably a good one to avoid that. Keeps a little perspective on the low carb thing. However, low carb works great, so I'm sticking with it. Cult or not. :)

And man, I almost forgot one of my favorites: Go Wild   (Author was involved in Spark, Exercise and the Brain).

#16 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations for motivational books that are not fitness or diet-centric. Anything about overcoming obstacles, leadership, or just general self-improvement/motivation to get after it. I realized a few weeks back that I was wasting too much of my down time with social media and TV so I'm setting aside time every morning and night to read. 

Here are a few of my recent reads that I enjoyed:

Extreme Ownership

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck

The Obstacle is the Way

The Power of Habit

Man's Search for Meaning

Currently reading Robert Greene's 'The 48 Laws of Power'. Not really motivational or a how-to manual for anyone but the most shrewd; but it's an interesting look at the power dynamic and it has some great historical anecdotes.

Little strokes fell great oaks. - Ben Franklin

#17 Pops

Pops

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,488 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

I've taken to reading a bit more as well. Same reasons.

I started with the "100 Books Every Man Should Read" list from Art Of Manliness.

So, not exactly the same genre that you're speaking of but I'll tell you two I've read that speak to what you're looking for, even if in a more incidental way...

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield.

It's a fictional account of the Battle of Thermopylae. Nothing can give you a warrior's mindset like a book about Leonidas and Dienekes.

Band of Brothers by Steven Ambrose.

A historical account of Easy Company during World War II. These men were "men's men".

Good luck and good reading.

Here's to being a more interesting human being...

• VidaMD and Virtus like this

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

"Glory is not found in the destination, but rather in the pursuit." - A.J. Roberts

#18 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

Thanks Pops.

I've actually read Gates of Fire and you are correct it is outstanding. It was the inspiration for naming my garage gym the Agoge.

I will add Band of Brothers to my list; based off of the few episodes I saw of the mini-series I'm sure it's a great read.

I've looked through that list on AoM, should definitely give it another look. I definitely want to broaden my horizons, guess I've just been in a self-improvement mindset here lately.

#19 danduerksen

danduerksen

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 2,545 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC, Canada

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

Love reading but don't have as much time for it these days. Currently working through the game of thrones series. Not self-help or motivational, but good reading. My copy of The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck should be arriving any day now. And I have Tools of Titans and You are a Badass on the way too. Have never been much for the self-help kind of thing, but this whole being a better human idea is starting to sink in.

• Virtus likes this

"He who wants to succeed should learn how to fight, to strive and to suffer. You can acquire a lot in life if you are prepared to give up a lot to get it."

Practice the basics as if they were advanced. That's the key to advancing

#20 Virtus

Virtus

Hard(est) to Kill

• Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationCoastal NC

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:55 PM

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck is a good read. I actually read it on Kindle and then bought a hard copy to add on my bookshelf because I will definitely read it again. The section on his "do something" principle describing how our inspiration-motivation-action feedback loop works was nothing short of enlightening to me.

You will have to let me know what you think of Tools of Titans and You are a Badass when you get around to them. They are both on my maybe list. I've never read anything by him but for some reason I am very skeptical of Tim Ferriss.

• UKoldguy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users